Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

One thing that amazes me about the N20 is how they blocked off the original road when they did the Dualling of the Blackpool to Blarney section in the 1990s.

Blocking the old road has effectively gotten rid of a backup in the case of an accident. Obviously it has nothing to do with where today's accident was, but still, emergency measures in the event of crashes should be taken into consideration in road planning.

In the case of this old section of road. It wouldn't take much cash to reopen it. A lot of it still exists. Could be re-opened for a few million I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

One thing that amazes me about the N20 is how they blocked off the original road when they did the Dualling of the Blackpool to Blarney section in the 1990s.

Blocking the old road has effectively gotten rid of a backup in the case of an accident. Obviously it has nothing to do with where today's accident was, but still, emergency measures in the event of crashes should be taken into consideration in road planning.

In the case of this old section of road. It wouldn't take much cash to reopen it. A lot of it still exists. Could be re-opened for a few million I suspect.

I’m a bit too young to remember the old road.

The only piece of old road I’m aware of is by the Bridge near the sunset ridge towards the now walkway.

It’s a dead end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

if you turn off northbound just after the Commons Inn and follow that road, it will bring you on to the Blarney to Shanakil road and thence to Blarney.

Isambard wrote: »
    if you turn off northbound just after the Commons Inn and follow that road, it will bring you on to the Blarney to Shanakil road and thence to Blarney.

The boggy road?

maybe take your wellies.....and don't take your truck.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That old road was an absolute shambles, makes whats there look gold plated in comparison. Have a look at whats left on streetview... it really was tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That old road was an absolute shambles, makes whats there look gold plated in comparison. Have a look at whats left on streetview... it really was tragic.

That was only the old road to Blarney though. The old road to Mallow went past Brackens Bakery and under the rail viaduct.

Would be nice to have an alternative direct route to Blarney and keep slow traffic off the dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭cjpm

One major flaw with an online upgrade of the N20 is the lack of a suitable alternative route in the event of an accident and closure of the M20 for a few hours. Of course the designers will claim the the parallel access road (s) will be used in such instances, however these parallel roads are to be designed for absolutely minute traffic volumes, complete with a crappy double surface dressing wearing course.

The majority of the other schemes built around the country were new builds, so in the event of a motorway closure, the old N route could handle the traffic for a few hours.

This is further compounded by the fact the the N20 was built on parts of the Old
    Cork Mallow road (which had 101 bends as the legend goes).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember travelling part of the old road between Cork city and Mallow (the road was improved and realigned for about 9-10km to the south from Mallow at the time, back in the late 1980s). It was a shockingly atrocious road, not even fit to be classified a R road. Very narrow and constant sharp bends.

Anyone aged over 35 will remember how appalling many of our main inter urban roads were in our childhoods. Barely better than boreens in places. Truly awful. :(

That was only the old road to Blarney though. The old road to Mallow went past Brackens Bakery and under the rail viaduct.

Would be nice to have an alternative direct route to Blarney and keep slow traffic off the dual carriageway.

Quite right and that road is there in it's entirety still as far as Rathduff. was a desperate road and is still. I'm guessing it will be in use again whilst they are building the M20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

N20 closed due to fallen trees 3km north of O'Rourke Cross

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Quite right and that road is there in it's entirety still as far as Rathduff. was a desperate road and is still. I'm guessing it will be in use again whilst they are building the M20

I can’t see how the old Cork to Mallow road could be used to take the current levels of traffic during construction of the M20. It was unfit for purpose 50 years ago, let alone now.

A parallel road will need to be built.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I can’t see how the old Cork to Mallow road could be used to take the current levels of traffic during construction of the M20. It was unfit for purpose 50 years ago, let alone now.

They opened the 'new' Mallow Road around 1990.

Even back then it should have been a motorway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

JupiterKid wrote: »

The N20 won't need to close if an online upgrade is needed. Just as with the Nenagh bypass upgrade and the M50 and N7 widening projects, the job will be done while keeping both lanes open at reduced speeds.

fortunately I know all the rat runs so won't have to go that way

fortunately I know all the rat runs so won't have to go that way

Pity it’s too dodgy to take a truck on some of them.

yeah, you guys keep out of my way :-)

yeah, you guys keep out of my way :-)

Now now, be nice ;)

the older roads through that area are quite interesting,I'd love to know their history.

There's one that branches left at the soil reclaim field and runs parallel to the main road and pops out again at the Mourneabbey turn. This isn't the road rebuilt in the eighties but must be an earlier version of it replaced perhaps in turnpike days. Talking of turnpikes, the road that branches left at the picnic area (which in fact comes from Blarney) runs ultimately to Kanturk via Bweeng and was an unfinished Turnpike. Another road branches left when southbound and runs via Bottlehill and Whitechurch to the City. Another ancient superceded road I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

the older roads through that area are quite interesting,I'd love to know their history.

There's one that branches left at the soil reclaim field and runs parallel to the main road and pops out again at the Mourneabbey turn. This isn't the road rebuilt in the eighties but must be an earlier version of it replaced perhaps in turnpike days. Talking of turnpikes, the road that branches left at the picnic area (which in fact comes from Blarney) runs ultimately to Kanturk via Bweeng and was an unfinished Turnpike. Another road branches left when southbound and runs via Bottlehill and Whitechurch to the City. Another ancient superceded road I reckon.
    I've used them all a few times, the Bottlehill one has a reasonable surface but getting out at Mourneabbey can be tricky.
    The other road has a very poor surface and your in big trouble if there's anything coming against you.

• Advertisement

Our neighbours in Waterford appear a tad upset about the M20.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104993757

6 car pile up on the ballybeg bends in the last hour.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork's roads at a standstill this evening again due to crashes. N40 eastbound in the tunnel, Kinsale road flyover, Ballybeg bends, N22/R585 junction.

marno21 wrote: »
    Cork's roads at a standstill this evening again due to crashes. N40 eastbound in the tunnel, Kinsale road flyover, Ballybeg bends, N22/R585 junction.

More driver education is badly needed.

You can get a car or bike licence after passing the test, then that’s it for life.

Truckers and bus drivers have to do driver CPC every year for the rest of their professional driving careers.

It costs me €300 every 5 years just in CPC’s.

It’s about time this kind of thing was brought in for those on category A/B & W licences.

The jack lynch tunnel , when busy,vehicles are following too closely and chopping and changing lanes without indicating/checking mirrors.

The kinsale Road flyover more or less the same.

Ballybeg,where do I start, the same for the N22/R585.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The kinsale Road flyover more or less the same.

Kinsale Road RB could use a bit of marking cleanup in fairness. It is hugely inconsistent which confuses a lot of drivers not familiar with it. Same for the other two flyovers...

grogi wrote: »
    Kinsale Road RB could use a bit of marking cleanup in fairness. It is hugely inconsistent which confuses a lot of drivers not familiar with it. Same for the other two flyovers...
    http://amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/judge-kinsale-roundabout-more-a-mystery-than-fatima-169798.html

An interesting statement by a well known Cork judge in 2011 on ‘the magic roundabout’

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This might be related: https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/1018/913408-cork-arrests/ ?

marno21 wrote: »

That’s definitely one part of it, a tree was also down on the area blocking traffic.

I’m travelling to Galway next week and dreading it.

• Advertisement

I’m travelling to Galway next week and dreading it.

Why? Sure we've lovely motorways all over the gaff here

Advertisement