Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Why? Sure we've lovely motorways all over the gaff here

I would say it's not about the goal, but how to get there...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it really is, I had the misfortune to have to do the Ballybeg Bends twice yesterday, a route I avoid where possible, they really are dangerous, I don't know anywhere on a major route to compare them to

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Isambard wrote: »
    it really is, I had the misfortune to have to do the Ballybeg Bends twice yesterday, a route I avoid where possible, they really are dangerous, I don't know anywhere on a major route to compare them to

Much of the old N9 was comparable I'd say. But that's history now, the N20 is still meant to be a main N route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I'd say the N22 Ballyvourney bends are comparable, but at least the end is in sight there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I'd say the N22 Ballyvourney bends are comparable, but at least the end is in sight there.

Pun intended?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote: »
    Pun intended?

When I say in sight, only if you squint really really hard!
    In fairness though, at least it's almost shovel ready, unlike the M20.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

What type of a Junction were the going putting in Patrickswell on the new M20? Or is it going to be tied into the existing M20?

the junction will be nearer to Adare, i don't think we are far enough along to be able to say what sort of junction it will be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭cjpm

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/m20-cork-limerick-motorway-is-priority-for-government-according-to-finance-minister-810724.html

There is a link to this article on the Examiners Facebook page. The first comment is from a guy by the name of John P Feehan criticising the proposed scheme, saying €400M could be saved by going via Mitchelstown

Every single time there is a mention of the M20 on Facebook he starts spouting the same rubbish in his comments.

cjpm wrote: »
    There is a link to this article on the Examiners Facebook page. The first comment is from a guy by the name of John P Feehan criticising the proposed scheme, saying €400M could be saved by going via Mitchelstown

Every single time there is a mention of the M20 on Facebook he starts spouting the same rubbish in his comments.

Some people are just thick and no matter how many reasons you present, they will not change their mind. Waste of time, best add to ignore list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/m20-cork-limerick-motorway-is-priority-for-government-according-to-finance-minister-810724.html

He's always right and never wrong in his eyes.

You can easily tell he hasn't a clue, it's about more than just money.

Edit:

Someone has just had a go at John now on the issue.

they could save even more by directing the traffic via the M8 and build a short link to the M7 near Port Laoise, but that misses the point that the motorway is planned to serve the people of North Cork and South Limerick as well as those travelling from Cork City to Limerick City... Mr Feehan misses that point too.

they could save even more by directing the traffic via the M8 and build a short link to the M7 near Port Laoise, but that misses the point that the motorway is planned to serve the people of North Cork and South Limerick as well as those travelling from Cork City to Limerick City... Mr Feehan misses that point too.

Are you proposing widening the R434?!

Only if it's in North Cork or South Limerick

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

paul2013 wrote: »
    What type of a Junction were the going putting in Patrickswell on the new M20? Or is it going to be tied into the existing M20?

This has yet to be determined and depends on route. The planned junction back in 2009 will not be used as the proposed route of the Adare bypass has changed and is now simply an extension of the existing M20.

Thankfully, John P Feehan is not designing the M20.

Another thing about this Mitchelstown idea, where does this tie in in Limerick? 10km of high quality M20 is already built and ties into the M7/N18 at a freeflow interchange.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/m20-motorway-can-bring-thousands-of-new-jobs-461344.html

Jeez John P Feehan is at it again today on the Examiner Facebook page...

Whenever I read his comments it reminds me of the saying "Better keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, rather than opening it and removing all doubt"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/m20-motorway-can-bring-thousands-of-new-jobs-461344.html

Jeez John P Feehan is at it again today on the Examiner Facebook page...

Whenever I read his comments it reminds me of the saying "Better keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, rather than opening it and removing all doubt"

Seemingly the N20 was already upgraded and that there is no further case for any more upgrades.

He looks like an old crank.

i think he should be made to spend an hour at Ballybeg.....that would scupper that notion. Scary bit of road

Or if his daily commute was between Cork and Mallow. A section of road with an AADT greater than 16,000 where oncoming traffic is separated by a strip of paint 4 inches wide.

i think he should be made to spend an hour at Ballybeg.....that would scupper that notion. Scary bit of road

I’m going between Cork and Galway and back for the week.

He can come with me.

I won’t be leaving early nor will i be back late.

• Advertisement

Why can't South of Mallow to North of Charleville section of the M20 be fast tracked and then build the other 2 sections piece meal. I just don't get it. Its how every other interurban was built.

Yet for this one, it must be built in one piece. This philosophy then conveniently stops the whole thing ever going ahead.

he's right.

Why can't South of Mallow to North of Charleville section of the M20 be fast tracked and then build the other 2 sections piece meal. I just don't get it. Its how every other interurban was built.

Yet for this one, it must be built in one piece. This philosophy then conveniently stops the whole thing ever going ahead.

Valid point.

Probably once that one would be built, the pressure to finish the rest of M20 would disappear and money eventually spent somewhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yep makes sense. Get rid of the very worst parts of the road as funding allows. From memory the parts nearer Limerick and Cork respectively aren't the worst and were widened upgraded 1990s.

grogi wrote: »
    Probably once that one would be built, the pressure to finish the rest of M20 would disappear and money eventually spent somewhere else...

This didn't happen with the N18. Although, do you believe there are political reasons for this road not being built ?

This didn't happen with the N18. Although, do you believe there are political reasons for this road not being built ?

Just look how much political resistance and controversy it is getting right now, when majority of people know it is a death trap. And imagine how difficult it would be to spent that much money when the existing road was okish. We would need to have a Taoiseach from Mallow I guess to push it then.

No confirmation it's being built in one go yet. TII these days like to get big projects through planning in one go and then complete them as required. This tactic has worked well with smaller schemes such as the N56 and N59 schemes so they will likely try it with this. If this is green lit from a planning point of view and there isn't sufficient funding it may be done Cork-Newtwopothouse and Newtwopothouse-Limerick as was the previous plan
    road_high wrote: »
    Yep makes sense. Get rid of the very worst parts of the road as funding allows. From memory the parts nearer Limerick and Cork respectively aren't the worst and were widened upgraded 1990s.

Christ you must never have driven the old Mallow Road!

• Advertisement

the road from Mallow to Blarney is not "OKish" it's overloaded and a death trap. Many of the recent serious accidents have been on this stretch. The Ballybeg section is diabolic , worse as far as road connditions go, but I'd say it's less busy.

The whole road from north of Blarney to the M20 at Patrickswell is not fit for purpose.

Advertisement