Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Drove the M18 last week, impressive but would have a few concerns on the south bound approach from the M6, mainly the Rathmorrisey interchange.
    I know I'm comparing apples and oranges in terms of road quality, width etc but it seems so much quieter north of Ennis than the M20 both directions between Carew Park and Patrickswell and Mallow to Cork both directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Drove the M18 last week, impressive but would have a few concerns on the south bound approach from the M6, mainly the Rathmorrisey interchange.
    I know I'm comparing apples and oranges in terms of road quality, width etc but it seems so much quieter north of Ennis than the M20 both directions between Carew Park and Patrickswell and Mallow to Cork both directions.

HHHmmm i was up and down it last Wednesday to Saturday, i probably passed you.

Getting on and off at Patrickswell was like a different planet all together and very depressing.

I was stuck behind tractors between O'Rourkes cross and Charleville going both ways and then had people thinking i was holding it all up trying to overtake me, no less than 3 times was there near misses with people pulling in either in front of or behind me on that stretch.

HHHmmm i was up and down it last Wednesday to Saturday, i probably passed you.

Getting on and off at Patrickswell was like a different planet all together and very depressing.

I was stuck behind tractors between O'Rourkes cross and Charleville going both ways and then had people thinking i was holding it all up trying to overtake me, no less than 3 times was there near misses with people pulling in either in front of or behind me on that stretch.

It's depressing,I saw some exhibitions on Tuesday afternoon between Mallow and Charleville, the tailgating which is part and parcel of the journey is frightening.
    By contrast 40 minutes from Doughiska at the start of the N6 to parked up in McDonalds in Shannon, 100 kph average ( hungover so took it easy), could easily have been through the tunnel and through to Patrickswell in little over an hour.

It's depressing,I saw some exhibitions on Tuesday afternoon between Mallow and Charleville, the tailgating which is part and parcel of the journey is frightening.
    By contrast 40 minutes from Doughiska at the start of the N6 to parked up in McDonalds in Shannon, 100 kph average ( hungover so took it easy), could easily have been through the tunnel and through to Patrickswell in little over an hour.

Depressing is an understatement.

The N6 isn't too bad i've found.

The tunnel is a pain in the backside, my eFlow tag decided to give up last week and now each toll i go to they need to phone in the truck reg.

Mallow to Charleville must be one of the worst main roads linking 2 cities in western europe.

Took me an hour the other night to get from Charleville back to my depot on the western suburbs of the city.

Also of note was Cllr Ted Tynan on RedFM news today complaining about the North Ring Road and the problems with traffic will worsen once the M20 is built.

In particular he had a go at trucks which i didn't take too kindly to.

The speed limit on the NRR s due to be increased from 50 to 60km/h

What would be the combined cost of doing the M20/M40 and Dunkettle interchange all at once in an ideal world?

Depressing is an understatement.

The N6 isn't too bad i've found.

The tunnel is a pain in the backside, my eFlow tag decided to give up last week and now each toll i go to they need to phone in the truck reg.

Mallow to Charleville must be one of the worst main roads linking 2 cities in western europe.

Took me an hour the other night to get from Charleville back to my depot on the western suburbs of the city.

Also of note was Cllr Ted Tynan on RedFM news today complaining about the North Ring Road and the problems with traffic will worsen once the M20 is built.

In particular he had a go at trucks which i didn't take too kindly to.

The speed limit on the NRR s due to be increased from 50 to 60km/h

What would be the combined cost of doing the M20/M40 and Dunkettle interchange all at once in an ideal world?

They should be done together, one cannot work without the other, M40 both West and East are needed at the same time.
    I have an interest in Railways, particularly the infrastructure side of it and am regularly reading about projects being undertaken in countries like Portugal ( which incidentally puts our motorway network to shame) and Romania at multiples of the cost of roads projects in this country.
    They just seem to get on with it in other countries, whist here its just constant procrastinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

they are different issues. The M20 is needed for safety reasons more than anything and it being built won't make the traffic worse on the existing NRR or in Blackpool than it is now. The Dunkettle interchange needs sorting before the new NRR/M40 is built though as other otherwise a large proportion of the current N20 traffic would end up there in gridlock.

Isambard wrote: »
    they are different issues. The M20 is needed for safety reasons more than anything and it being built won't make the traffic worse on the existing NRR or in Blackpool than it is now. The Dunkettle interchange needs sorting before the new NRR/M40 is built though as other otherwise a large proportion of the current N20 traffic would end up there in gridlock.

Well yes, I was including Dunkettle in that bundle of mine.

what I'm saying is they don't have to be done together and there are pressing reasons why the M20 should not be delayed by including the M40 east and west sections and the Dunkettle works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Crash at New TwoPothouse this morning.

A berlingo van hit a cow. Incident has been cleared according to AA roadwatch twitter

A berlingo van hit a cow. Incident has been cleared according to AA roadwatch twitter
    Cow dead?

Hopefully the driver is ok.

I came across loose cattle on the Ballybeg bends last Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Cow dead?

That's a strange pastime you have...:-P

Cow dead?

Now now, be nice :D

I was in the artic Galway bound :cool:

Now now, be nice :D

I was in the artic Galway bound :cool:
    Only pulling your leg :-D
    That must've been quite a fright you got, approaching Buttevant! Was this in the daytime?

Only pulling your leg :-D
    That must've been quite a fright you got, approaching Buttevant! Was this in the daytime?

8.30 last Saturday morning as i was coming around the bend near where the Gatso van is just before Buttevant.

I couldn't see where they made good their escape from either unless as there was no gates that appeared to be open or any gaps in the ditch.

Overturned vehicle on the ballybeg bends in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Surely these animals are getting out from the same place and are owned by the same person. Can the gardai not get involved here to make the landowner responsible?
    It's only a matter of time before someone is killed here.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Surely these animals are getting out from the same place and are owned by the same person. Can the gardai not get involved here to make the landowner responsible?
    It's only a matter of time before someone is killed here.

I encountered them personally.

It's the same place and i can only assume the same owner.

A combination of adult cattle and young calves.

I didn't see anything very obvious in the form of open gates/gaps in a ditch, but they are getting out somewhere.

Imagine the selection committee for the Rugby World Cup seeing this on a main road between 2 major cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Ha Ha, maybe they did. That ship has sailed anyway as France were awarded RWC. Makes sense I suppose . You can't compare the infrastructure there to here .French is second to none. I wonder was the weather also a consideration by the committee as we're getting such wet summers.
    Sun on your back in Lyon or Bordeaux or getting drowned in Limerick or Galway, hmm let me think...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Playing rugby at over 30C isn't funny and ground too hard.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Water John wrote: »
    Playing rugby at over 30C isn't funny and ground too hard.

RWC is played in Oct/Nov, so it wouldn't be anywhere near 30C. And unlikely to be pissing rain like in Ireland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I was about to come on here tonight to give out that the current stage of the M20 plan ends in February and there's no sign of anything beyond that but..

(PIN for) tender has gone out for consultants to progress the Cork-Limerick Road Improvement Scheme through the planning and design stages.. the project has now been fully reactivated and is now 100% alive. Full tender to be issued in 2018 when funding approved on TII side.

Project lead is Limerick City and County Council. Contract worth €8m.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=120083&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Another census this morning causing chaos outside Mallow,a 40 minute tailback from Mourneabbey for no apparent reason last night, all in all the last few weeks have been hell on this road.

Another census this morning causing chaos outside Mallow,a 40 minute tailback from Mourneabbey for no apparent reason last night, all in all the last few weeks have been hell on this road.

It was confirmed as tree cutting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

There was a census survey setting up on the Cork side of the Dromahane junction at 7.00 am this morning, even though they were only setting up at that time (setting up traffic cones etc) it was already causing delays back as far as the roundabout, unbelievable that they are permitted to do this on what was a particularly dark/wet morning so driving conditions were difficult enough without this added delay.

GoneHome wrote: »
    There was a census survey setting up on the Cork side of the Dromahane junction at 7.00 am this morning, even though they were only setting up at that time (setting up traffic cones etc) it was already causing delays back as far as the roundabout, unbelievable that they are permitted to do this on what was a particularly dark/wet morning so driving conditions were difficult enough without this added delay.

if the traffic is disrupted that much how can the survey give an accurate picture anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Tender applications are now open for "N/M20 Cork to Limerick Road Improvement Scheme - Technical Consultancy Services"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Isambard wrote: »
    if the traffic is disrupted that much how can the survey give an accurate picture anyway?

They are asking where people are coming from and going to, to see what the predominant traffic flows are, and to see if the traffic would use an alternative route if available

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    They are asking where people are coming from and going to, to see what the predominant traffic flows are, and to see if the traffic would use an alternative route if available
    The disruption would mean many would have taken an alternative route and thus be outside the survey, rendering it inaccurate

Advertisement