Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

So many reasons why doing this would be throwing money down the well. Vast majority of traffic isn’t end to end. Mallow and Charleville commuter traffic not being serviced or linked to motorway network.

It’s as if the Green Party like to go against logic for the sake of it. Dan Boyle wanted to build a rail line to Ringaskiddy for instance when there is no freight on Irish Rail and it simply wouldn’t be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

So many reasons why doing this would be throwing money down the well. Vast majority of traffic isn’t end to end. Mallow and Charleville commuter traffic not being serviced or linked to motorway network.

It’s as if the Green Party like to go against logic for the sake of it. Dan Boyle wanted to build a rail line to Ringaskiddy for instance when there is no freight on Irish Rail and it simply wouldn’t be used.
    Oliver Moran backs it completely, I don’t, it’s insane.

I remember the rail line proposal for Ringaskiddy. That would cost serious money.

https://twitter.com/oliver_moran/status/953792685852233728

Why do people with such vested interests get airtime. It’s fairly obvious why he doesn’t want a motorway taking away his business.

The truth is that just about everyone along this corridor want and need this motorway. Sending it through Mitchelstown is over simplistic and is clearly a wrong decision.

The M8 took away from his business on that side and he doesn’t want it happening on the other side with the M20, one businessman’s personal preference shouldn’t influence the planning process

I really hope it doesn’t become a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Oliver Moran backs it completely, I don’t, it’s insane.

I remember the rail line proposal for Ringaskiddy. That would cost serious money.

https://twitter.com/oliver_moran/status/953792685852233728

An absolute muppet - Limerick to Mitchelstown just wouldnt work.Lets hope the preferred route follows the current N20

Mc Love wrote: »
    An absolute muppet - Limerick to Mitchelstown just wouldnt work.Lets hope the preferred route follows the current N20

Could you imagine if it went ahead, they'd need to built an interchange onto the Dunkettle interchange to cope with the extra traffic coming from Limerick and Dublin.

• Advertisement

I wonder what the Corkman’s take would be on the Avondhu’s story given Mallow and north Cork would lose out on this vital infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Net spend is still €1B with your proposal Mr.Corbett 
    Not really a saving of €600M if you are then spending it improving the infrastructure you're trying to direct the funds away from. 

The mind boggles.

neddynasty wrote: »
    Net spend is still €1B with your proposal Mr.Corbett 
    Not really a saving of €600M if you are then spending it improving the infrastructure you're trying to direct the funds away from. 

The mind boggles.

He couldn't care less about this motorway, he just wants to ensure that all the traffic that currently passes Corbett Court continues to do so to boost his own coffers.

Is there any records of him objecting to the construction of the M8 all those years ago? Probably along the lines of "Build it from Mitchelstown onwards, not Watergrasshill"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

The M20 is just not about connecting Limerick and Cork it is about conecting Kerry and West Cork to the Motorway network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Madness to even consider his plan which doesn't address the very worst section south of Buttevant. The N20 is chiefly a commuter route for the people of North Cork to access Limerick and Cork, there is very little end to end traffic, I think the figure given was only 2000 vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's news to me that the Green Party are relevant in any way whatsoever. They had their go from 2007-2011 and showed themselves up badly. A lot of these Green Party ideas have minor benefits but massive downsides. I wouldn't pay much heed to them.

The Mitchelstown routing will once again be eliminated unless Ross continues in his crusade against the Mallow routing to save penny's but have quarter the benefit. It looks like more of a delaying tactic to me, he seems dead set against any form of Capital Investment unless it's a photo opportunity or directly benefits him.

It's important to keep an eye on this side of affairs to make sure it doesn't gather any steam and hold up the project. TII seem fairly adamant that the M20 will be routed via Mallow so hopefully it remains free from political interference.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Also, what's this obsession with diverting the Limerick-Cork motorway miles out of the way so it can connect to some unplanned motorway to Waterford? Why is Waterford so important at the expense of Cork? The Green above isn't the first person to start this carry on.

marno21 wrote: »
    Also, what's this obsession with diverting the Limerick-Cork motorway miles out of the way so it can connect to some unplanned motorway to Waterford? Why is Waterford so important at the expense of Cork? The Green above isn't the first person to start this carry on.

I get the impression that the Green Party don’t really care. This could be a stalling tactic where they hope to have this cash put into a public transport connection in future if those in a position of power changes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Mitchelstown routing will once again be eliminated unless Ross continues in his crusade against the Mallow routing to save penny's but have quarter the benefit. It looks like more of a delaying tactic to me, he seems dead set against any form of Capital Investment unless it's a photo opportunity or directly benefits him.

I reckon we'll have an election before this gets as far route selection, so hopefully we won't have to worry about him for much longer.

Deedsie wrote: »
    When is route selection expected?

Sometime during 2018. We haven't heard any specifics yet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Would they ever lobby for an upgrade on the road. They might be listened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Fecking ethnic minority. They should all be prosecuted. Reckless endangerment

TII Director of Capital Programme confirmed today to Deputy Kevin O'Keefe that one of the main points of the new Cork-Limerick scheme will be to "address the deficiencies of the existing N20". It will struggle to pass a business case without meeting this criteria, and whilst not a cast iron guarantee that it will route via Mallow etc, it's pretty guaranteed that the route will not be via the M8.

Limerick County Council will appoint a team of consultants/engineers to begin work on the new scheme in 2018.

The N20 is rated as one of the worse roads countrywide for head on collisions and is prioritised for this reason.

On a personal note, it is shocking that TII have to push this scheme so hard. This is an absolute no brainer and yet it still seems to meet fierce resistance. I understand that the new Taoiseach and Finance Minister have started to get this moving but Dinosaur McGarda Station still seems to need convincing.

• Advertisement

I feel there people behind the scenes who don’t want this road, primarily from Limerick. Noonan still has a huge voice in FG.

I feel there people behind the scenes who don’t want this road, primarily from Limerick. Noonan still has a huge voice in FG.
    It's starting to become a serious political issue, especially with the opening of the new motorway in Galway.

Mallow, Charleville and the hinterland are going nowhere without serious upgrades. That can be extended to Cork and Limerick. There are 800 HGVs a day using the route and around 1000 a day using the route between Cork and Mallow. With port expansions at Ringaskiddy and Foynes this will increase. The TDs in the area will be under pressure at the next election because there has effectively been nothing done since the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is it because of a fear (right or not), that services may be downgraded in Limerick in favour of Cork? If there is a high quality road between the two?

I think this approach is wrong and missing the bigger picture but is this why the likes of Noonan wouldn't want it?

road_high wrote: »
    Is it because of a fear (right or not), that services may be downgraded in Limerick in favour of Cork? If there is a high quality road between the two?

I think this approach is wrong and missing the bigger picture but is this why the likes of Noonan wouldn't want it?
    The project was reactivated as soon as Noonan left Government even though the financial situation was no different.

Noonan certainly made no attempt whatsoever to progress the scheme whilst in Government. Whether he actively blocked it or not is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The project was reactivated as soon as Noonan left Government even though the financial situation was no different.

Noonan certainly made no attempt whatsoever to progress the scheme whilst in Government. Whether he actively blocked it or not is another story.

Thank god he is gone...I thought he was a dreadful Finance Minister in the last few years. This would be massively beneficial to Limerick, economically and the obvious safety and quality of life improvements. Madness to oppose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭pigtown

If he was against the construction, why would this be?
    road_high wrote: »
    Thank god he is gone...I thought he was a dreadful Finance Minister in the last few years. This would be massively beneficial to Limerick, economically and the obvious safety and quality of life improvements. Madness to oppose it.

I want to agree with you but nobody has been able to say exactly how this road will benefit the city. The report commissioned by Limerick and Cork Chambers predicted a rise of 5000 jobs in the region but they weren't specific about where these jobs would be. Surely this is something that we should know beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

pigtown wrote: »
    I want to agree with you but nobody has been able to say exactly how this road will benefit the city.

A connection like that makes Cork and Limerick a much more convincing counterbalance to Dublin.

Some businesses deciding between going to Dublin or somewhere else, will now decide to go to Munster instead.

grogi wrote: »
    A connection like that makes Cork and Limerick a much more convincing counterbalance to Dublin.

Some businesses deciding between going to Dublin or somewhere else, will now decide to go to Munster instead.
    It's more than connecting Cork and Limerick. It's also about connecting:

Cork, UCC/CIT, CUH, Cork Airport, Ringaskiddy Port, the many companies in Cork

with

Limerick, UL/LIT/Mary I, Shannon Airport, Foynes Port, the many companies in Limerick.

Also onward connections to Galway, Sligo and the western counties.

In addition to connecting Mallow, Charleville and both areas, which include quite a lot of agricultural production including Dairygold, Kostal, the Lidl distribution centre, Kerry in Charleville etc.

I would anticipate huge traffic growth between cities when this road is done. The current road is seriously offputting to many drivers and is a massive hinderance to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

pigtown wrote: »
    I want to agree with you but nobody has been able to say exactly how this road will benefit the city.

This piece of infrastructure has a significant cost-benefit ratio, It's been listed as one of the most economically viable infrastructure projects in the country.

If you're purely interested in economics, all of the above posts, plus for instance the economic cost of those killed or maimed on the road. The RSA put that cost at around £800k per death, £160k per serious injury in 2002. I'd presume it's a lot higher now.

The benefit of the faster/easier movement of goods to market via ports and airports is that it will make those goods cheaper or higher quality and thus more competitive internationally.

The ability for people to access emergency services faster/easier will save more lives again and cost our frontline emergency services less.

The ability for people to access secondary services and education faster/easier will grow GDP in the area.

etc, etc, etc

• Advertisement

I actually think there’s also a mood in Limerick that they don’t want this road to go ahead. Yes, the Limerick Chamber of Commerce do but there’s a significant minority who think Cork will swallow Limerick when such a link opens. This is no doubt government thoughts on the subject hence the stalling.

Advertisement