Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shn99 wrote: »
    Lots can happen in 9 years...for all we could know there could be another economic downturn and the whole thing will be quashed again

Well once construction starts it's fairly guaranteed, so I'd cut that down to about 5/6 years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/plea-for-bypass-as-town-faces-years-of-gridlock-469805.html

I would say no, and I get stuck there 4/5 times a week. Any and all money for this corridor has to go into the M20 and the N72 east/west route in Mallow and also the N40 North Ring in Cork. No half baked relief roads to line developers pockets and ultimately create more congestion.

Councillor pushing this on C103 during the week because "the M20 won't open for 20 years".

What he doesn't realise is that a Charleville relief road would take at least 8 years to get built, which is the same timescale as the M20.

Some bad potholes just after the Waterloo turnoff heading north!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Some bad potholes just after the Waterloo turnoff heading north!

Pavement overlay planned for there in 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

corinthion wrote: »

4 weeks ago it was an update.

Anyway 3 months of roadworks torture starting next week between Rathduff and Blarney business Park. If it's anything like the last debacle they'll hardly be finished by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

Closing date for pre-qualification submissions tomorrow for Consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

10 weeks of roadworks starting in June Main St Charleville.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

jgbyr wrote: »
    10 weeks of roadworks starting in June Main St Charleville.

oh you have got to be kidding me...

• Advertisement

Resurfacing works between Banogue and Croom also coming this year and the roundabout at O'Rourkes Cross perhaps next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Resurfacing works between Banogue and Croom also coming this year and the roundabout at O'Rourkes Cross perhaps next year too.
    Hang in there men, the M20 is on its way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

they need the roundabout there slow down traffic. with it crisscrossing between the station & the turnoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

corinthion wrote: »

[font=Georgia, serif]"The €8m contract will see design engineers contracted to complete the route outline and bring the mammoth project to An Bord Pleanala."[/font]

[font=Georgia, serif]These kind of statements in articles about the M20 really piss me off. Calling it a mammoth project only creates negativity and resistance. It's a 105KM stretch of motorway of which there are 1000's KM of all over Europe!! It's not a 105KM underwater tunnel ffs.[/font]

neddynasty wrote: »
    [font=Georgia, serif]"The €8m contract will see design engineers contracted to complete the route outline and bring the mammoth project to An Bord Pleanala."[/font]

[font=Georgia, serif]These kind of statements in articles about the M20 really piss me off. Calling it a mammoth project only creates negativity and resistance. It's a 105KM stretch of motorway of which there are 1000's KM of all over Europe!! It's not a 105KM underwater tunnel ffs.[/font]
    It's the biggest motorway project ever advanced in the history of the state. At the minute we are getting mickey mouse projects advanced

It's also 80km, not 105km as indicated in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 abitofboth

Could anyone enlighten me regarding the "benefits" the M20 Motorway will have to Limerick and Galway? Personally I believe the M20 will give an excuse to businesses to set up in Cork. Could it also lead to the demise of SHN Airport? Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

abitofboth wrote: »
    Could anyone enlighten me regarding the "benefits" the M20 Motorway will have to Limerick and Galway? Personally I believe the M20 will give an excuse to businesses to set up in Cork. Could it also lead to the demise of SHN Airport? Thanks.

I would have thought the opposite.

SNN is more likely to benefit from a larger catchment area, and Limerick is nearer Dublin and Galway so Cork could be left out in the cold - so to speak. Why would a business set up in Cork rather than Limerick when connections are considered?

I think both Cork and Limerick would benefit, but Limerick more so.

Faster journey times, less congestion, less road accidents, improved accessibility

People setting up businesses in Cork and Shannon Airport are a concern for the people involved.

Shannon Airport has had enough breastfeeding down through the years without stopping the construction of a motorway to aid it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I would have thought the opposite.

SNN is more likely to benefit from a larger catchment area, and Limerick is nearer Dublin and Galway so Cork could be left out in the cold - so to speak.  Why would a business set up in Cork rather than Limerick when connections are considered?

I think both Cork and Limerick would benefit, but Limerick more so.
    The M20 may cement the death of transatlantic from Cork but other than that I don't see it having any impact on the airport

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Business leaders in Limerick and Shannon disagree and want the road built ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think it would be beneficial to both as a counter balance to be honest.

snotboogie wrote: »
    The M20 may cement the death of transatlantic from Cork but other than that I don't see it having any impact on the airport

That was never going to make money anyway.Sure arent Norwegian offering free parking if you fly stateside with them. Any way while it is still under the Daa it wont be going anywhere. Daa only care about dublin.Always have. The only time to start worrying is if they sell if off or go private & cant see that happening a while yet.

That was never going to make money anyway.Sure arent Norwegian offering free parking if you fly stateside with them. Any way while it is still under the Daa it wont be going anywhere. Daa only care about dublin.Always have. The only time to start worrying is if they sell if off or go private & cant see that happening a while yet.

Norwegian's execution of transatlantic flights from Cork isn't what Cork needs. Cork Airport should be able to sustain a full service airline on a modern narrowbody to JFK/Newark/Boston (A321/737 MAX). Norwegian is too leisure oriented and too many empty seats (if they had taken out 40 economy seats that were empty anyway and put in 16 business seats they would have been a lot better off).

I believe Cork Airport were running the parking promotion.

The DAA selling off Cork Airport wouldn't leave it in any worse position. Cork Airport was designed to be stunted for day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's the biggest motorway project ever advanced in the history of the state. At the minute we are getting mickey mouse projects advanced

It's also 80km, not 105km as indicated in the article.[/b

Possibly includes the N72 Mallow bypass and other link roads.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Possibly includes the N72 Mallow bypass and other link roads.

N72 Mallow bypass will be a lesser standard and cheaper per km. It may include the NRR but I'd doubt it as I've never seen an official M40 + M20 bundle.

If you believe the M20 is an excuse for businesses to set up in Cork (whatever that means), why didn't the same occur with the M18? Or the M7?

The motorway should massively boost trade and other links between the two cities and allow an interconnected corridor between Limerick Cork and Galway which can go some of the way towards rivaling Dublin primate dominance.

Take a glance at the numbers, Cork out-weighs Limerick & Galway by a mile when it comes to Services, FDI, Employment rate. The money allocated for this motorway should be used to fund the reinstatement of the railway to Youghal and/or re-surfacing the N20

Take a glance at the numbers, Cork out-weighs Limerick & Galway by a mile when it comes to Services, FDI, Employment rate. The money allocated for this motorway should be used to fund the reinstatement of the railway to Youghal and/or re-surfacing the N20
    Bet you your a Cork ''langer'':P:P:D:D:D:D:D. Cork should be the captial of Ireland:P:P This is just banter by the way:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Resurfacing the n20 isn’t going to stop the road accidents. The motorway needs to be built regardless imo. You’ve made it clear what your views are regarding the economic benefits of the motorway however here are some links which make your claims some what irrelevant. https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/05/18/limerick-live-register-figures/

https://www.limerick.ie/business/news-events/news/limerick-and-mid-west-fastest-growing-region-fdi-outside-capital-ida

• Advertisement

Shn99 wrote: »
    Resurfacing the n20 isn’t going to stop the road accidents. The motorway needs to be built regardless imo. You’ve made it clear what your views are regarding the economic benefits of the motorway however here are some links which make your claims some what irrelevant. https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/05/18/limerick-live-register-figures/

https://www.limerick.ie/business/news-events/news/limerick-and-mid-west-fastest-growing-region-fdi-outside-capital-ida
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-to-be-fastest-growing-region-for-next-20-years-1.3378192

Advertisement