Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Isambard wrote: »
    I don't believe that, don't suppose you can back it up with statistics?

I can't.

We'll have to wait and see in 2027.
    I wonder if they build the North Ring along with the M20 whether they'll widen the M8 Glanmire bypass to 3 lanes. It'll need it.

Then I wonder if Dunkettle is being built with that in mind.

It'll be interesting because Dunkettle is being built with no freeflow from the M8S -> N8W (citybound Tivoli DC).

Long term the North Western quadrant is needed to take pressure off the Tunnel and also the Douglas flyover.

The N40 suffers from the unfortunate constraint of having several sections which are permanently restricted to two lanes (J10-J11, J8-J9 & J2-J3)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

as regards the southern of those twos, several alternative routes spring to mind, not least what used to be the N20, better get used to that route, it will be needed when they start the M20 works! ( It's a deathtrap, I won't be going that way.

Getting across the road at Rathduff in the evening is problematic.
    I know every side road along the N20( Mallow to Cork) and they're all terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Getting across the road at Rathduff in the evening is problematic.
    I know every side road along the N20( Mallow to Cork) and they're all terrible.

yes that's true. Southbound the old road is the best option and northbound , turn at Waterloo , return to N20 by the picnic area is the least worst option

Happily I can divert from further west via Nadd or Bweeng, which are a better option

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Traffic growth on the N20 means that the entire route between Blarney and Patrickswell is now carrying between 10 and 17 thousand vehicles per day. This is higher than the M17/M18 from Kilternan all the way to Tuam which is carrying less than 10k vehicles per day.

http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/strategic-planning/nra-road-network-indicators/TII-National-Roads-Network-Indicators-2017.pdf

Simon Coveney confirmed on 96FM a while back that the M40 North Ring Road will be built in conjunction with the M20. Surprised it didn't make any headlines. Given it'll be at a junction with a motorway at both ends it'll have to be motorway.

https://soundcloud.com/opinionline96/ireland-2040-whats-in-it-for-cork-unmarked-graves-in-cork-your-haircut-your-business-more

1:30 in.

He says the M40 Western arc will be done "in time".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,728 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When will we see the actual M20 design?

When will we see the actual M20 design?
    Design work should start in Q4 2018. We should see an initial route in late 2019 hopefully.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    Simon Coveney confirmed on 96FM a while back that the M40 North Ring Road will be built in conjunction with the M20. Surprised it didn't make any headlines. Given it'll be at a junction with a motorway at both ends it'll have to be motorway.
    "They've decided to follow the N8, the Patrickswell-Mallow-Blackpool route."

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I know he fecked that up, but wonder if they'll build the M20 as Dunkettle - Mallow - Patrickswell and then rename one bit of it as M40 if the western section gets built?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I know he fecked that up, but wonder if they'll build the M20 as Dunkettle - Mallow - Patrickswell and then rename one bit of it as M40 if the western section gets built?

I’d imagine that the junction 16 to 17 on the M8 will be redesignated as the M40.

• Advertisement

On reflection, it would make sense to start the M20 somewhere north of Glanmire on the M8 and head over towards the N20 somewhere north of Blarney, leaving the existing N20 as a high quality route into the City. Dunkettle roundabout and the Tunnel are major problems here though and both would need major improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

I have never seen any mention of the CNRR in the etenders documents for the M20 Consultants. CNRR most likely to be a separate project which hasn't been recommenced yet like the M20.

an M20 junction on the M8 would need access northbound as well as south of course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

On reflection, it would make sense to start the M20 somewhere north of Glanmire on the M8 and head over towards the N20 somewhere north of Blarney, leaving the existing N20 as a high quality route into the City. Dunkettle roundabout and the Tunnel are major problems here though and both would need major improvement.

That’s basically the same as having the North Ring Road.

I presume what'll happen is that the M20 project scope will be Patrickswell - Charleville - Mallow - Blarney - Glanmire, and the M40 link will be built as part of the M20 scheme rather than seperately. A bit like how the N40 from the Bandon Rd-Ballincollig was built as part of the Ballincollig bypass.

It'll be interesting to see if there is some merging between the N72 Mallow relief road and the planned M20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm thinking along those lines as well now. Everyone worth their weight in sense would realise you just can't have the M20 without the M40 Blarney - Glanmire link.

M8 - M20 can be sorted out with a simple trumpet, so thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Anyone know how long the current works in Charleville are expected to last?

Shurwhynot wrote: »

14th July

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I'm thinking along those lines as well now. Everyone worth their weight in sense would realise you just can't have the M20 without the M40 Blarney - Glanmire link.

M8 - M20 can be sorted out with a simple trumpet, so thats ok.

The M40 traffic towards M20 will be much bigger than on M8, especially after finishing the west part of M40. Simple trumpet here would be a mistake, unless you're thinking about 'curved' trumped, with M8 going M40...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Shurwhynot wrote: »

I've to go up to Limerick this evening so would be hitting Charleville at around 6pm, are these major roadworks or how long would it take to go through the town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

Coming the opposite direction at about 5ish daily normally stopped about 10-15 minutes.

Boots234 wrote: »
    I've to go up to Limerick this evening so would be hitting Charleville at around 6pm, are these major roadworks or how long would it take to go through the town?

also road works north of Blarney, I'd go via Mitchelstown if you are coming from Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

also road works north of Blarney, I'd go via Mitchelstown if you are coming from Cork City

I'll be joining on the Limerick side of Rathduff, around Bottlehill. Thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

And another pretty serious accident just on the Limerick side of Charleville.

E36Ross wrote: »
    And another pretty serious accident just on the Limerick side of Charleville.
    Thankfully no one was killed but I do hope those involved in the crash will make a full recovery.

It's a wonder there isn't more crashes along that stretch given the absolute state of that stretch and the traffic, especially heavy traffic, that it is carrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

What is the date for that fair in Buttevant in early July?
    Road users should be warned, so they could use the Hospital route....it's laughable, if it wasn't so dangerous.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Road users should be warned, so they could use the Hospital route....it's laughable, if it wasn't so dangerous.....

July 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

There was also a bad enough looking crash just south of Buttevant yesterday evening at about 6. Guards were at the scene when i was passing, but one car in particular looked very badly damaged

you don't need to go to Hospital, you can divert around Buttevant via Doneraile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

you don't need to go to Hospital, you can divert around Buttevant via Doneraile

It really makes us sound like a third world country, to be telling tourists that the main road between the second and third largest cities is closed off to cater for horses.

Along with the other quirks such as loose cattle and the test of skill that is pulling out onto the N20, or for those already on the road hoping those pulling out don't stall or randomly stop.

I've a few trips from Cork City to Clare and Galway coming from next week, and I'm dreading the section from Blarney to Patrickswell.

But Main Street's still all cracked and broken.

Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken!

Doneraile...

Doneraile...

Advertisement