Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Mc Love wrote: »
    Take it to an open field - but this could really derail this thread so will leave it at that

Cahermee was in essence an open field and the Fair was moved into Buttevant

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Whatever about the M20, it's at times like someone is trying to drive N20 drivers around the twist. Constant roadworks, frequent crashes, and the fair as above

https://twitter.com/austinstacksabu/status/1017427381701758977

Sums it up. It's like being an Arsenal fan.

no one comments when roads are closed for Paddy's Day, Cycle races, Marathons etc etc. I don't think it's fair to be singling out this section of society

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Isambard wrote: »
    no one comments when roads are closed for Paddy's Day, Cycle races, Marathons etc etc. I don't think it's fair to be singling out this section of society

What interurban is closed for Patrick’s Day and Marathons can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Paddy's day is a national Irish holiday, a fecking horse fair isnt!

• Advertisement

What interurban is closed for Patrick’s Day and Marathons can I ask?

N20 between Blarney and Cork City.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If so, that is also a disgrace.

EDIT. According to the route map, that's not true. The marathon doesn't even get as far North as the Blackpool Shopping Center.
    http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/the-marathon/

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

Blarney parade doesn't leave the village and the city one doesn't even cross the quays on the northside I believe

EDIT: http://www.corkstpatricksfestival.ie/eventswhatson/theparade/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

N20 will in future be stopping around Killeens and traffic sent via M40 North Ring in case of closure in city centr

rounders wrote: »
    Blarney parade doesn't leave the village and the city one doesn't even cross the quays on the northside I believe

EDIT: http://www.corkstpatricksfestival.ie/eventswhatson/theparade/

I didn't say it did but the Marathon certainly closed the n20 as did a similar event in Mallow now I think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Even more reason for the motorway now with this

I didn't say it did but the Marathon certainly closed the n20 as did a similar event in Mallow now I think of it.

Again, no it didn't.
    If so, that is also a disgrace.

EDIT. According to the route map, that's not true. The marathon doesn't even get as far North as the Blackpool Shopping Center.
    http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/the-marathon/

And some more info from that website.
    Approaching the City from the North

Blackpool
    The Blackpool Bypass will be closed from Thomas Davis Street into town from 7.30am to about 10am. Motorists coming from the north are advised to use the North Link Road and exit further to the east.
    All traffic north of the River Lee should return to normal after 11.30pm, with the exception of the North Mall (inbound traffic only until 3.30pm).

again yes it did, maybe the race itself didn't take place there but if you think about it, what do they do with the traffic if the race is running (on the N20) to the Blackpool Shopping centre. The signs were certainly at the Blarney turn saying the road would be closed for the marathon so I assume they diverted traffic across to Victoria Cross or via the Straight Rd. It's immaterial anyway to my assertion that's it's unfair to single out one section of the community when roads are closed for all sorts of reasons for events.

again yes it did, maybe the race itself didn't take place there but if you think about it, what do they do with the traffic if the race is running (on the N20) to the Blackpool Shopping centre. The signs were certainly at the Blarney turn saying the road would be closed for the marathon so I assume they diverted traffic across to Victoria Cross or via the Straight Rd. It's immaterial anyway to my assertion that's it's unfair to single out one section of the community when roads are closed for all sorts of reasons for events.

It says in black and white that traffic coming from the North should continue on to North Link Road and exit further to the east. The was no reason to close the N20 North of Blackpool and according to the actual race website it wasn't closed.

Or how about the official map telling you to use the N20 as far as Blackpool and then use the the North Ring to avoid the marathon? http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Routes-from-North-to-South-to-avoid-the-Marathon.pages.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Marathon joins N20 at Watercourse Road junction. Within the city itself.
    It's not quite an inter-city road at that point: inner-urban, rather than inter-urban. The connection to the north ring is uninterrupted and the closure doesn't last for a full day.

I understand the general gist of the concept that "we don't complain when festivals for other racial minorities close down the inter-urban routes and disrupt trade". But at the same time - being pragmatic - anyone can see that the fair's current configuration is far from optimal at the moment.

There is absolutely no need to shut down several kms of an interurban for a horse fair - it can be accommodated elsewhere. At present interurban traffic is being shoved onto L roads - this is not acceptable

Shutting down roads for marathons isn't surprising as these take place on roads/streets. By the time the M20 opens, south of Killeens will be an R road (it really should be already) so it wasn't really an interurban road being shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The marathon is also on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

marno21 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no need to shut down several kms of an interurban for a horse fair - it can be accommodated elsewhere. At present interurban traffic is being shoved onto L roads - this is not acceptable

Shutting down roads for marathons isn't surprising as these take place on roads/streets. By the time the M20 opens, south of Killeens will be an R road (it really should be already) so it wasn't really an interurban road being shut.
    The marathon is also on a Sunday.

Yep Marathons normally take place on non-business days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yep Marathons normally take place on non-business days.

And the Marathon road closures doesn't last for the full day.

Marathon joins N20 at Watercourse Road junction. Within the city itself.
    It's not quite an inter-city road at that point: inner-urban, rather than inter-urban. The connection to the north ring is uninterrupted and the closure doesn't last for a full day.

I understand the general gist of the concept that "we don't complain when festivals for other racial minorities close down the inter-urban routes and disrupt trade". But at the same time - being pragmatic - anyone can see that the fair's current configuration is far from optimal at the moment.

Maybe so but what would you do about it? It isn't an organised event, such as a marathon would be. It basically just happens and even if it were "banned" how would you stop individuals from meeting on the street in Buttevant or any other place? These people aren't noted for being co-operative or frightened of flouting authority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Did the Cork-Limerick journey (both ways) over the past few days. Both Google Maps and Waze put me on the Hospital route - the 'main' road was 36 minutes longer!
    How is that possible? Spent ages behind tractors, but at least felt that I was moving (40Km an hour) - that was the better option between the 'Main' road and the back road.

Did the Cork-Limerick journey (both ways) over the past few days. Both Google Maps and Waze put me on the Hospital route - the 'main' road was 36 minutes longer!
    How is that possible? Spent ages behind tractors, but at least felt that I was moving (40Km an hour) - that was the better option between the 'Main' road and the back road.

Road works at Blarney, stop go system where one really could be avoided given the road is upto 16m wide there. Two 3m lanes at one side at 60km/h would be much more useful

Road works at Charleville holding up traffic for 20 minutes+

Is there more roadworks?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Road works at Blarney, stop go system where one really could be avoided given the road is upto 16m wide there. Two 3m lanes at one side at 60km/h would be much more useful

Road works at Charleville holding up traffic for 20 minutes+

Is there more roadworks?

Was stuck in the ones in Blarney for a good 25 minutes, was great fun.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Was stuck in the ones in Blarney for a good 25 minutes, was great fun.
    Assuming the 2009 route is chosen again, there will be roadworks along there for upto 2 years when the M20 is being built to facilitate dualling work and building the parallel access roads. That will redefine fun for commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Assuming the 2009 route is chosen again, there will be roadworks along there for upto 2 years when the M20 is being built to facilitate dualling work and building the parallel access roads. That will redefine fun for commuters.
    At least it will be a "no pain, no gain" situation then. Just have to put up with the suffering for a few years to reap the rewards of a motorway.

perhaps you have avoid motorways activated?

I found a handy short cut I didn't know, headed south, you turn left at the roadworks compound and follow your nose, pop out again at Killeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I found a handy short cut I didn't know, headed south, you turn left at the roadworks compound and follow your nose, pop out again at Killeen.

That's the old Cork Mallow road, better off turning off immediately after Rathduff. Not much good to me as I work in the west of the city but I have used it a few times, its quiet and the surface is reasonable.

That's the old Cork Mallow road, better off turning off immediately after Rathduff. Not much good to me as I work in the west of the city but I have used it a few times, its quiet and the surface is reasonable.

no it's not the Cork Mallow road, . It's a series of back lanes. The old road south from Rathduff is awful and very long for a diversion. It is quiet though surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

No.... think Google Maps picks the fastest route- and the Main road wasn’t it- probably due to all the roadworks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

no it's not the Cork Mallow road, . It's a series of back lanes. The old road south from Rathduff is awful and very long for a diversion. It is quiet though surprisingly.

Are you talking via Kilmona,Stoneview and Monard?

Advertisement