Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Marno has the plans I think so you've asked the right guy. I seem to remember that a parallel local road was planned and most of the current junctions eliminated.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

20 hours later!

Attached is the M20 original plan for the area. All mainline junctions would be closed and replaced with new links to local roads around the area.

There would be no junctions between Rathduff (Grenagh Junction) and Blarney (existing N20 GSJ)

See attached in next post:

I can see a white cat in the snow but no map

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Now with added map hosted externally:

NDEmWkBl.jpg

Works ok for me in original post but not when I load the thread in an incognito tab.

I can confirm the markings and signage for the Waterloo turn are gone.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    I can confirm the markings and signage for the Waterloo turn are gone.

Which to be fair, if a junction is proposed to be closed and there is good reason for it, it does make sense for new line markings to reflect this proposal

Thanks for the updates.

interesting to see it's replacement on your plan, slightly to the North. I wonder what the non-motorway traffic will do? take the old road from Rathduff to the Commons Inn?

(assuming new plans are no different)

interesting to see it's replacement on your plan, slightly to the North. I wonder what the non-motorway traffic will do? take the old road from Rathduff to the Commons Inn?

(assuming new plans are no different)
    I believe so, plan would be to use the old Mallow Road/a mixture of local routes in the area.

This issue would be non existant if the N20 was dualled from Rathduff to Cork as it was supposed to in the 1990s.

our local bus, the 243 used the waterloo turning on the late Friday afternoon southbound service (possibly to pick up schoolkids , I don't know) I wonder which way that is going now. the local roads are not now suitable to serve Waterloo by bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Advertisement

Closed northbound at the dogging area

Google Maps now lists the Waterloo link road as closed until November 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

marno21 wrote: »

Wouldn't pay much heed, it lists Latoon bridge as still closed despite it having reopened over 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I presume that the Waterloo Road was the alternative?

I presume that the Waterloo Road was the alternative?
    Waterloo Road would be an alternative to escape the N20 early instead of slamming into the dead stop at the turn off for Bweeng where traffic is being diverted.

there's been accidents at this junction before too. Roll on the M20

there's been accidents at this junction before too. Roll on the M20

Is it the right hand turn just before you come into Rathduff? The one that takes you back along the Old Mallow Road?

Is the dogging still going on since it was exposed?

no pun intended.

Probably a good idea to keep the junction closed, even if you block off the right hand turn you'll still get people who will do a U turn down the road to double back in a similar fashion to that of the Commons Road outside Topaz/McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 corinthion

Looks like the northbound diversion is at the dogging spot for Bweeng and southbound is the old Mallow Road.

Is the dogging still going on since it was exposed?

no pun intended.

Probably a good idea to keep the junction closed, even if you block off the right hand turn you'll still get people who will do a U turn down the road to double back in a similar fashion to that of the Commons Road outside Topaz/McDonalds.

No idea to be honest. Haven't heard much since the furore a few years ago.

All it shows is the fact that traffic on that road is beyond capacity and needs the M20 asap, otherwise it's just going to lead to repeated accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 corinthion

All it shows is the fact that traffic on that road is beyond capacity and needs the M20 asap, otherwise it's just going to lead to repeated accidents.

Hi Marno. is there any news or update at all as to where the m20 is at the moment

corinthion wrote: »
    Hi Marno. is there any news or update at all as to where the m20 is at the moment
    Of course, seeing as this is the thread after all :)

Limerick City and County Council, the lead authority for this scheme, issues a tender in April 2018 for engineering consultancy services for Phases 2/3/4 (Route Selection/Design/Statutory Process) for the scheme. This tender will be awarded in September and route selection work will begin then. Barring delay, route options will be published in 2019 and after an emerging preferred route is selected design, CPO and environmental assessment processes will begin.

I hope this time it's as fast as the last time. It took 18 months from day 1 to ABP submission in 2008-10 for this. I really hope it doesn't take 3/4 years this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Of course, seeing as this is the thread after all :)

Limerick City and County Council, the lead authority for this scheme, issues a tender in April 2018 for engineering consultancy services for Phases 2/3/4 (Route Selection/Design/Statutory Process) for the scheme. This tender will be awarded in September and route selection work will begin then. Barring delay, route options will be published in 2019 and after an emerging preferred route is selected design, CPO and environmental assessment processes will begin.

I hope this time it's as fast as the last time. It took 18 months from day 1 to ABP submission in 2008-10 for this. I really hope it doesn't take 3/4 years this time around.

Was route selection done back 2008?

Shn99 wrote: »
    Was route selection done back 2008?

It was, but it has to be redone again as the data used back then is now out of date and appraisal of options back then is not in compliance with new DPER and DTTAS policies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/families-outraged-doggers-turn-popular-5867253.amp

Seems this David chap has a bit of knowledge of the peculiarities of Grenagh Services.
    His story has a few holes in it, pardon the pun.

I bet Neil Prendeville was outraged.

Have we another steering group on the horizon?

Jonathan Healy of Newstalk/RedFM organised it jointly as well.

Politicians are never far away where votes are concerned either.

Is the thing with the fire engine genuine?
    The meeting heard from one resident near the Kiln Hill that a barrier constructed to block access to the Mallow Road had delayed a fire engine from reaching the scene of an accident near Rathduff yesterday afternoon

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Residents-insist-they-wont-back-down-in-row-over-Waterloo-junction-closure-da7126e8-31c7-4168-af81-1c2685bebd59-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

A 60 kph limit allied with traffic calming measures would be a much more sensible solution than just closing the junction.

Have we another steering group on the horizon?

Jonathan Healy of Newstalk/RedFM organised it jointly as well.

Politicians are never far away where votes are concerned either.

Is the thing with the fire engine genuine?

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Residents-insist-they-wont-back-down-in-row-over-Waterloo-junction-closure-da7126e8-31c7-4168-af81-1c2685bebd59-ds

At least this group have a point

The new Mallow Road was built through that area and all roads crossed bar the Station Rd in Blarney were turned into staggered junctions. They should have been bridged from day 1, and the M20 plan was to create an underpass at this location

The closure is basically being railroaded through with no alternative put in place. A simple compromise here would be to ban right runs from the N20 to the Waterloo Road, while maintaining left turns from the N20 and maintaining both left and right turns from the Waterloo Road onto the N20.

• Advertisement

At least this group have a point

The new Mallow Road was built through that area and all roads crossed bar the Station Rd in Blarney were turned into staggered junctions. They should have been bridged from day 1, and the M20 plan was to create an underpass at this location

The closure is basically being railroaded through with no alternative put in place. A simple compromise here would be to ban right runs from the N20 to the Waterloo Road, while maintaining left turns from the N20 and maintaining both left and right turns from the Waterloo Road onto the N20.

There is a very valid point to it and I accept that.

I never knew this road before the new road was built, I would have been fairly young at the time.

As I mentioned the other night, from Rathduff right into the Commons bar there should be no right turns?

The right turn from the Waterloo junction onto the N20 itself can be a bit dodgy though.

As for turning left from the junction, better signage is needed if it does stay open, I can't see them inserting a filter lane with the M20 fast approaching.

Advertisement