Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

No that is completely unrealistic for a project of this scale, i would say it will take An Bord Pleanala 15-18 months alone to decide on the planning application. Tender Process would take 12 months, it will be a PPP contract, so financial due diligence from the funding back would take 6 months alone.
    It took them 22 months the last time around (granted, that was the southern half, but if splitting it into 2 halves makes it faster then please do that).

By the way, I think it was you that posted about the 22 months, I had been rattling on about 18 months previously ;)

For reference, it took 5 years for the M21 which hasn't even made it to An Bord Pleanala yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,728 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The way we do all infrastructure in this country is a disgrace and needs to change, end of.

There is no debate to be had.

We need less democracy and more action.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

https://youtu.be/kWdfRRtAs3o

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

marno21 wrote: »
    It took them 22 months the last time around (granted, that was the southern half, but if splitting it into 2 halves makes it faster then please do that).

By the way, I think it was you that posted about the 22 months, I had been rattling on about 18 months previously ;)

For reference, it took 5 years for the M21 which hasn't even made it to An Bord Pleanala yet.

Yes it took 22 months from starting with a blank page to submission to ABP in Feb 2010. The poster above wants from design start to shovels in the ground to take 15-18 months! Not sure about the reference to the southern half, the previous planning application to ABP was for the full 80kms Blarney to Attyflynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Did you consider move to North Korea? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Geogregor wrote: »

Did you consider move to North Korea? ;)

Kim Jong Un-educated....

Kim Jong Un-educated....
    Trumped Trump! :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/CareersUCC/status/1102967723418681344

Barry, Sweco and WSP have been appointed to get the M20 through planning and design (at last).

The use of the phrase "five year project" makes me shudder however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

The scheme, which could see Ireland’s second and third cities linked in a little over an hour, is being managed in Limerick.​

So it’s only going to take them an hour and a bit. That’s great news - I thought it would take years!

• Advertisement

So it’s only going to take them an hour and a bit. That’s great news - I thought it would take years decades!

Fixed

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/its-15m-of-taxpayers-money--cost-of-proposed-cork-limerick-motorway-being-questioned-911944.html

Ridiculous complaining about this - one week after design & planning starts and we have a moanfest over nothing

They are 100% right.

There is a design already. Just use it.

No need to redesign it.

They are 100% right.

There is a design already. Just use it.

No need to redesign it.
    If it was feasible to use this design, they would be using it. The design is out of date and needs to be redone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bloody farce. Probably preying the next recession comes along and they can scrap it again. Two more years of likely construction inflation too. Pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If it was feasible to use this design, they would be using it. The design is out of date and needs to be redone.

I would love to know what differences there are between the old rules and the new rules. It was designed as M20, why does it need to be COMPLETELY re-done. Its put the whole roads program back by years and whilst thems-are-the-rules, in the case of the M20 there is part of me that just doesn't see the point of re-doing the whole plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Seems like red tape insanity to me. Surely the original route would have been protected all this time from development? What the hell would have changed in 10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Seems like red tape insanity to me. Surely the original route would have been protected all this time from development? What the hell would have changed in 10 years?

Only thing I can think of is the 2009 design pdfs show a link to a Southern Adare bypass (just north of Croom) but the Adare scheme has since been changed to northern bypass. But why this small redesign would justify the whole thing to be re-evaluated idk...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/its-15m-of-taxpayers-money--cost-of-proposed-cork-limerick-motorway-being-questioned-911944.html

Ridiculous complaining about this - one week after design & planning starts and we have a moanfest over nothing

The Examiner keeps incorrectly stating that the M20 got planning permission in 2008 that has now expired. It was removed from planning before a decision was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

The original route is protected in both county development plans, so if the new design does concur with the old route (probably in parts at least) then there shouldn't be any issues there in terms of CPO.

Unfortunately a hell of lot has changed in terms of environmental legislation and a significant amount of case law coming out of the European courts. Just so much red tape courtesy of the EU, M28 went down the route of using the old alignment, it is currently going through a judicial review in the high court.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This route is THE critical missing link in our inter-urban motorway system. It is a backlog need and we all know how atrocious much of the existing N20 is, with only Croom fully bypassed.

I pray that this missing link won’t end up like the M2 gap up North which never got filled and in all likelihood never will...

The M2 gap up North isn't really a gap, its dual carriageway between the two "bits" of M2. It would be much better as M2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

The M2 gap up North isn't really a gap, its dual carriageway between the two "bits" of M2. It would be much better as M2 though.

I would hasten to point out that the A26 Antrim to Ballymena is an extremely poor standard of Dual Carriageway, possibly worse than the current A1, which is really saying something.

Not really disagreeing with your point, just highlighting that its not HQDC standard by a very long way, in case someone got the wrong idea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Amazing how quickly discussion of a motorway project in the South of Ireland can get overtaken by lists of poor roads in the North of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Is there anywhere that you can view the route that was previously chosen? I think I remember preliminary design drawings for the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

pajoguy wrote: »
    Is there anywhere that you can view the route that was previously chosen? I think I remember preliminary design drawings for the route.

i beleive Marno posted the plans in this thread.

I would hasten to point out that the A26 Antrim to Ballymena is an extremely poor standard of Dual Carriageway, possibly worse than the current A1, which is really saying something.

Not really disagreeing with your point, just highlighting that its not HQDC standard by a very long way, in case someone got the wrong idea.

I've driven it myself and it is indeed terrifying. Some of the worse standard DC I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

I've driven it myself and it is indeed terrifying. Some of the worse standard DC I've ever seen.

Built on the cheap, in 3 sections; 1st one was 1989, then 1999 with the final section in 2001.

Should have just built the M2 instead, and left this for local traffic.

MOD:

As fascinating as talk of NI roads is, can we return to the M20 please. Anyone at all welcome to start a new thread on the topic if ye'd wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭steeler j

would the m20 and m21 start together , if the m20 was pressed could it start late 21 to mid 22

Advertisement