Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Isambard wrote: »
    very few people live in Rathduff. I can't see them objecting to removal of that awful junction which must be a huge worry to anyone using it daily.

Online from there to Blarney is as Marno says a no-brainer, but I dread the traffic chaos that will ensue. Looks like I'll be using the rat runs for a couple of years!

Lots of objections last time out, a junction was moved prior to planning because of local objections. There was an RFI from ABP regarding noise concerns in Rathduff iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

I hope they build the service areas during construction of this motorway instead of as an afterthought!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭steeler j

betistuc wrote: »
    I hope they build the service areas during construction of this motorway instead of as an afterthought! on the other routes

yes that would be the right thing to do

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A service area was proposed on the old M20 plan so presumably will again this time

The M21 and M28 schemes will both have service areas at Ringaskiddy and Foynes so there is precedent now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

marno21 wrote: »
    A service area was proposed on the old M20 plan so presumably will again this time

The M21 and M28 schemes will both have service areas at Ringaskiddy and Foynes so there is precedent now

Yes but they will not available to the general public. For the exclusive use of truck drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes but they will not available to the general public. For the exclusive use of truck drivers.
    Yes but they are being built in conjunction with the scheme rather than afterthoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Where does it say that? I honestly can't see them building a service station for trucks only here.

Where does it say that? I honestly can't see them building a service station for trucks only here.
    The M21 and M28 service areas are for HGV drivers. The M20 will be a M1/M4/M6/M9/M11 spec one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

So no services for ferry passengers in coaches, cars etc. arriving/departing at Ringaskiddy. Seems like a Truck Stop rather than a services area.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    So no services for ferry passengers in coaches, cars etc. arriving/departing at Ringaskiddy. Seems like a Truck Stop rather than a services area.

It's primarily a rest/showering area for truckers.The last thing they want is a service station sucking the life of Carrigaline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

well noone will go into Carrigaline to use the services, they'll zap straight by on the Motorway.

Isambard wrote: »
    well noone will go into Carrigaline to use the services, they'll zap straight by on the Motorway.

Correct but it could draw business from Carrigaline. Look at the N20 plaza in Mallow, half the town out there eating snackboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

I heard from a good source An Taoiseach and Shane Ross will be making announcement regarding the motorway this Friday in Limerick. It might be another PR exercise to plug the design team contract and funding allocated.

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    I heard from a good source An Taoiseach and Shane Ross will be making announcement regarding the motorway this Friday in Limerick. It might be another PR exercise to plug the design team contract and funding allocated.
    Exactly what people interested in the M20 are looking for, another press release. I hope it's something positive anyway but this is never ending.

This Government are a boon for paper and filing cabinet manufacturers.

TII recently advertised within the Local authorites for Resident bridge engineers based in Limerick but covering Cork and Limerick
    This is the third iteration of the project. I remember Cork County Council publishing CPO noticed in the Limerick Leader in 2001 for the Mallow to Croom Dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

https://twitter.com/LimerickCouncil/status/1123892612598042625?s=20

Find the logo interesting - NM20 - is it suggesting it will be a National or Motorway road or a bit of both

Mc Love wrote: »

Find the logo interesting - NM20 - is it suggesting it will be a National or Motorway road or a bit of both

Another PR stunt. Just get on with it

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Mc Love wrote: »

Legally, the road will still be N20 even if it's designated Motorway.
    E.G. the M50 is legally the N50.

As Marno says, just get on with it, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

Planning and design to begin this month and an extensive consultation process. How does the consultation process work? Will a couple of routes be put up for public consultation and a preferred route chosen or will they announce a proposed route and then hold public consultation days?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/contract-awarded-for-work-on-m20-cork-to-limerick-motorway-921577.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Planning and design to begin this month and an extensive consultation process. How does the consultation process work? Will a couple of routes be put up for public consultation and a preferred route chosen or will they announce a proposed route and then hold public consultation days?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/contract-awarded-for-work-on-m20-cork-to-limerick-motorway-921577.html

Usually the former. It will be surprising though if the chosen route isn't basically the same as the previous route that got canned by Varadker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Why are Tipperary County Council being included as a partner in the consultation process? The N20 goes nowhere near Tipp. Does that indicate they have to take a look at the M8 > N24 option?

Hopefully this question won't start another discussion on the viability of the N24 option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was wonder is there any provision for protected cycle lanes either side of the road, seeing as much of the current road will be used

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

there will be a non-motorway alternative route as always for vehicles not able to use a motorway

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1123916450182438914

I'll believe it when I see it. Having it start in four years time is incredibly ambitious given it's taken 5 years for the M21 to reach the stage that they say the M20 will reach in 2 years.

I'd sooner believe a pig has taken off from Shannon Airport before I'll believe this will beunderway in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

I'll believe it when I see it. Having it start in four years time is incredibly ambitious given it's taken 5 years for the M21 to reach the stage that they say the M20 will reach in 2 years.

I'd sooner believe a pig has taken off from Shannon Airport before I'll believe this will beunderway in 2023.

We live in hope.thats about it

neddynasty wrote: »
    Why are Tipperary County Council being included as a partner in the consultation process? The N20 goes nowhere near Tipp. Does that indicate they have to take a look at the M8 > N24 option?

Hopefully this question won't start another discussion on the viability of the N24 option.

I doubt it but a Tipperary polictian was upsetting at it not going by the m8 today ,I don't see why it would run by the m8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

steeler j wrote: »
    I doubt it but a Tipperary polictian was upsetting at it not going by the m8 today ,I don't see why it would run by the m8

The M8 is in Tipperary, that's why.

5 years ,I doubt it but I hope it is

4 years ,I meant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

The M8 is in Tipperary, that's why.

Not going by m8 by looks of it

Advertisement