Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Isambard wrote: »
    How would building a rail line( which would save mere minutes over using the current route with through trains) help the people of the N20 hinterland who want to make journeys other than end to end Cork to Limerick? It is and always has been a non starter. You cannot just look at an old rail map and say "wouldn't it be nice".
    One minor advantage would be the accessibility to Raheen and Dooradoyle via the old line, but then again any stations along there would have poor last mile accessibility.

The outlay for a rail line beside the motorway would be quite large, and wouldn't have the "benefit" of access to stations at Croom and Bruree like the old line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

indeed the cost would be large and the implications at the junctions would be huge and also it would make the motorway itself more expensive as the gradients would have to be eased from normal motorway standard to suit the rail line.

Pie in the sky, should be kept to a separate topic as it has nothing to do with the M20 except making it more expensive and further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

Fair play to Patrick O'Donovan for calling out Limerick based Green councillors to reject their leader's idiotic comments. I wonder could Eamon Ryan name a another country within the EU which doesn't have its second and third largest cities linked via a motorway. The Greens will ruin rural Ireland if they get a sniff of power.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/428082/limerick-city-greens-urged-to-reject-road-remarks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    Fair play to Patrick O'Donovan for calling out Limerick based Green councillors to reject their leader's idiotic comments. I wonder could Eamon Ryan name a another country within the EU which doesn't have its second and third largest cities linked via a motorway. The Greens will ruin rural Ireland if they get a sniff of power.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/428082/limerick-city-greens-urged-to-reject-road-remarks.html

Green party ruined Ireland with there fairytale policys.
    And will again if they ever get in. They are clueless. N20 needs to be upgraded to M20.

The public system is crap outside of Dublin and expensive to use.never on time and expensive. Its still cheaper for us to have our own vehicles with insurance and tax etc than use public transport. That a sad statement but true.
    And even if it wasn't it doesnt suit everyone to use if was better PUBLIC transport system.
    Limerick and cork need to be connected with proper motorway and not green party fairy ideas that never work.

It's ok for eamon Ryan as he lives in Dublin. Let him live down here for a year on his push bike and see how he gets on but seeing the bull that he comes up with he come out with different dairy fairy policys!!!.
    Green party are banned from my door for life and many people's doors I know. Dont trust them and dont like them.

Read here by poster saying widen road. Really .is that your answer.
    Try driving in bad conditions on that road .its a twisty road in many areas so wouldn't work where needed and still be unsafe and poor in many areas so only widen road wont work.dont say use PUBLIC transport in other areas. Wont work.if it was Dublin it be done by now twice over.
    Motorway is safer in many ways and needed for many reasons. Everyone I know wanted this m20 motorway and do more now.

It's about time other areas of Ireland outside of Dublin got improvements. Been hearing about a motorway between limerick and cork for 2 decades .I think people have waited long enough for m20 motorway.
    We paid enough road tax to get it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

While Im fully behind the M20 ( I am from Limerick after all) and I pray that the greens never get into government again, to say that it would be done twice over in Dublin is just parochial BS.
    Dublin is in an awful state transport wise. It needs metro, bus connects and Dart underground done yesterday. Two of those projects are no further along than the M20 (and are already getting meddled in by the greens) and the other is indefinitely suspended.
    The M20 is needed and the Dublin PT projects are needed. It's not and can't be either/or, it has to be both.

And we pay motor tax, not road tax. It's not and never has been ring fenced for road building or maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The weird thing about the greens is that they talk up public transport constantly yet appear to shoot it down when people try to make it a reality.

My own view is that dislike public transport, but just not as much as private transport. The reality is that they want all inter city transport to be by train and people to basically cycle everywhere in cities. ****s knows what you are to do in the country.

While Im fully behind the M20 ( I am from Limerick after all) and I pray that the greens never get into government again, to say that it would be done twice over in Dublin is just parochial BS.
    Dublin is in an awful state transport wise. It needs metro, bus connects and Dart underground done yesterday. Two of those projects are no further along than the M20 (and are already getting meddled in by the greens) and the other is indefinitely suspended.
    The M20 is needed and the Dublin PT projects are needed. It's not and can't be either/or, it has to be both.

And we pay motor tax, not road tax. It's not and never has been ring fenced for road building or maintenance.

As I'm a limerick man living in cork and drive on n20 4 to 5 times a week in all seasons its badly needed.
    As I dont go to Dublin or need too much these days I dont know state if traffic system there.

As for if it was in Dublin it maybe not be done twice over but it would be done sooner in Dublin than here.
    You dont have to agree or put another way.we agree to disagree about Dublin.
    People living outside of Dublin only see Dublin improved at a fast rate while rest are left behind.

This talk of n20 is going on a long long time and people are thinking now because of over spend at the children's hospital in Dublin where there little parking will eat up funds for likes of m20.
    Still not understand like most why they made such a mess for smart people in government but that another story.the there messup with the 3.something billion for this broadband Do these people have any cop on !!!

Dunkettle upgrade in cork seems on go slow since the mess up with hospital in Dublin and broadband mess.

Down here in cork dunkettle and m20 needed badly.
    At least finish dunkettle upgrade. 90k vehicles use it every day.

If the greens ever get it it be back to stone age with them on push bikes.

The weird thing about the greens is that they talk up public transport constantly yet appear to shoot it down when people try to make it a reality.

My own view is that dislike public transport, but just not as much as private transport. The reality is that they want all inter city transport to be by train and people to basically cycle everywhere in cities. ****s knows what you are to do in the country.

Bus or train is too expensive in cork like everywhere.plus it doesnt suit everyone.

I work evenings so I couldn't even use a bus or train its the cost is mad even if you take into account running costs of car.car is cheaper for me to run that take public transport which is non existent here.
    A bus is half price of a taxi from city to where I live.its nuts plus it unreliable in times.
    Train is expensive. Greens party as they did in last government are talking there h###les per normal.

Wait till Brexit hits then government will have excuses not to do.then they can say good bye to getting elected in next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭cgcsb

They're also opposed to the cycling infrastructure proposed under bus connects. Their ideology is flexible to say the least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave the politics to the politics forum. It has been covered enough for this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

When is the next deadline for M20, does anyone know?

I struggle to see both M20 and Dunkettle getting funded simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

Dunkettle would be completed before M20 would possibly start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

As mentioned, Dunkettle will probably be done before the M20 and at this stage the M28, hard to see 2 major projects side by side, but if it happens it'll be Dunkettle & the Macroom Bypass.

As mentioned, Dunkettle will probably be done before the M20 and at this stage the M28, hard to see 2 major projects side by side, but if it happens it'll be Dunkettle & the Macroom Bypass.

Yes I realised that M28 was behind.

Dunkettle and Macroom would be a start.

Like many others I'm getting by, by using the M8/R513 corridor at the moment.

That's only going to last so long though: people living on that route deserve to have a quality of life too, and the high traffic levels are having an impact, if the calming measures that are being introduced one by one are anything to go by.

For the benefit anyone talking about shelving the M20 in favour of public transport, consider:
    The current quality of life for those living on the M20 corridor.
    The current quality of life for those living on the R513 corridor.
    A lot of traffic on the M20 corridor is local.
    A lot of traffic on the M20 is HGV.
    Public transport means bus north of Mallow, and busses are stuck in the same traffic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Yes I realised that M28 was behind.

Dunkettle and Macroom would be a start.

Like many others I'm getting by, by using the M8/R513 corridor at the moment.

That's only going to last so long though: people living on that route deserve to have a quality of life too, and the high traffic levels are having an impact, if the calming measures that are being introduced one by one are anything to go by.

At the minute Dunkettle is overdue, but both Dunkettle & N22 are to start in 2019. M28 can’t start before 2022 now.

Dunkettle upgrade is priority with volume of traffic going through then macroom upgrade as it's also already started with esb moving poles etc.then m20 hopefully

with our glorious Leader making noises about cutting Public Expenditure, and Brexit looming,I'm doubting I'll ever see the M20 built.

with our glorious Leader making noises about cutting Public Expenditure, and Brexit looming,I'm doubting I'll ever see the M20 built.

Let's hope your wrong .they spent alot of money on m20 project so think of when it start .
    This thread was started in 2008. wow .

Let's hope your wrong .they spent alot of money on m20 project so think of when it start .
    This thread was started in 2008. wow .

I'll be here in some guise in 2028 still waiting for the sod turning, that'll be a full 20 years after the thread was started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'll be here in some guise in 2028 still waiting for the sod turning, that'll be a full 20 years after the thread was started.

Dublin's metro scheme is 46 years old now.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Dublin's metro scheme is 46 years old now.

says it all really

I'll be 73.... will need a blue badge before it's finished, or a headstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Ya @ this stage we be old men or dead before the motorway is completed

I’ll be a few decades younger but long gone out of this game. You can get the blue badge at any age, I’ll need one myself if that bloody road isn’t built, my knees are on the way out.

Ya @ this stage we be old men or dead before the motorway is completed

My grandchildren (I have none yet) will have grandchildren and this road won’t be done

I particularly don't like how they discuss being able to fund rail/bus/active transport by defunding road.

We should fund rail/bus/active transport now, immediately, regardless what else we do. Roads have nothing whatsoever to do with that discussion.

And that €230m for the cycle infrastructure is a nonsense number, plucked out of the ar5e during creation of CMATS. And it includes the Cork-Midleton greenway, which the greens are against.

So so many issues with that article.

It feels to me as though the M20 is semi-permanently in the sights of everyone who doesn't use the corridor, as though it's some kind of extravagant white elephant project.

I particularly don't like how they discuss being able to fund rail/bus/active transport by defunding road.

We should fund rail/bus/active transport now, immediately, regardless what else we do. Roads have nothing whatsoever to do with that discussion.

And that €230m for the cycle infrastructure is a nonsense number, plucked out of the ar5e during creation of CMATS. And it includes the Cork-Midleton greenway, which the greens are against.

It feels to me as though the M20 is semi-permanently in the sights of everyone who doesn't use the corridor, as though it's some kind of extravagant white elephant project.
    I'd have some sympathy with the Green philosophy. In the past 120 years or so, the motor vehicle has pretty much destroyed the planet. In the long term, public transport has to become the solution, make it free and make the car expensive would be the way to go. However , we are where we are and a short term solution to people dying is to build the M20 asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

I'd have some sympathy with the Green philosophy. In the past 120 years or so, the motor vehicle has pretty much destroyed the planet. In the long term, public transport has to become the solution, make it free and make the car expensive would be the way to go. However , we are where we are and a short term solution to people dying is to build the M20 asap

Nonsense.

People still need private vehicles too...buses are not the answer for everyone, free or not.

Advertisement