Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Nonsense.

People still need private vehicles too...buses are not the answer for everyone, free or not.

If the increase in bus use is significant, the congestion will be reduced, making it a win for those that use the free buses and a win for those that must use a car.

One bus can carry the number of people in more than 60 cars. A car is approximately 4 metres long and a bus 10 metres long, so for every bus, 200 metres of congestion could be saved.

It does not take a lot of people to choose the bus to make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Nonsense.

People still need private vehicles too...buses are not the answer for everyone, free or not.

I advocated nothing of the sort. Read the post before declaring it nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Isambard wrote: »
    I advocated nothing of the sort. Read the post before declaring it nonsense.

We don't live in a utopia, and we all accept that some level of private transport use is necessary. Especially in remote parts of North Cork.

M20 end-to-end passengers will have a better option by bus when the road is upgraded because the times will be more dependable. Potentially, it'll start becoming more dependable by bus than car as the congestion builds up at both cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The green party are also opposed to public transport and cycling though, when it conflicts with the greed of their constituents.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave discussion of the Green Party to the politics forum where they might be able to answer back. It was not the GP that did not build the M20 when it should have been built. I think Michael Noonan had a finger in that pie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mod: Can we leave discussion of the Green Party to the politics forum where they might be able to answer back. It was not the GP that did not build the M20 when it should have been built. I think Michael Noonan had a finger in that pie.

Indeed, and thankfully this individual has no input on national planning matters.

Best thing for this crap is the next time people you know are on about the (lack of) M20, make sure they are aware of the Green Party's views no matter now much the person cares about the environment or climate change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I think Michael Noonan had a finger in that pie.

Michael Noonan knows all about pies (in the face) :pac:

Are the Green Party on this site over in the politics forum? If so I didn’t know that.

Michael Noonan knows all about pies (in the face) :pac:

Are the Green Party on this site over in the politics forum? If so I didn’t know that.
    Mod:
    No, but discussion of political parties does not belong here.

By the way, do not discuss Mod instructions on thread. PM or report post function.

I'd have some sympathy with the Green philosophy. In the past 120 years or so, the motor vehicle has pretty much destroyed the planet. In the long term, public transport has to become the solution, make it free and make the car expensive would be the way to go. However , we are where we are and a short term solution to people dying is to build the M20 asap

Wouldn't a better short term solution be to reduce the speed limit? Surely that alone would achieve lives saved?

Wouldn't a better short term solution be to reduce the speed limit? Surely that alone would achieve lives saved?

If it was monitored. We have an odd habit of putting speed checks in open countryside when it's in urban and suburban areas where speed most needs to be reduced.

• Advertisement

Well if we're talking about short term solutions to save lives seems a lot cheaper, faster and easier to do than building the M20.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Speed limit has been reduced on the N20 eg Ballybeg bends and hospital junction at Mallow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

marno21 wrote: »
    Speed limit has been reduced on the N20 eg Ballybeg bends and hospital junction at Mallow

Been a while since i was out that way, what have they been reduced to? 60km/h?

Well if we're talking about short term solutions to save lives seems a lot cheaper, faster and easier to do than building the M20.

I agree that speed reduction and enforcement are good short-term measures but there's only so far you can reasonably go with that strategy too. For instance, if you slow the N20 down further, more people will simply join me rat-running on the R513. If you reduce the speeds there, we'll all rat-run elsewhere. What's needed is the M20.

In a dream scenario also commuter rail from Charleville to Dooradoyle and on to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

I agree that speed reduction and enforcement are good short-term measures but there's only so far you can reasonably go with that strategy too. For instance, if you slow the N20 down further, more people will simply join me rat-running on the R513. If you reduce the speeds there, we'll all rat-run elsewhere. What's needed is the M20.

In a dream scenario also commuter rail from Charleville to Dooradoyle and on to Limerick.

Maybe make train tickets more reasonable as expensive.would help also.
    N20 needs to be a motorway. Second and third biggest city's in Ireland.
    There a hugh amount of commercial vehicles on n20 every days.

an hourly stopping train via Limerick Junction, to Limerick, with extra stations and connecting at the junction with a proper service to Waterford would be of far greater value, but you digress :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It couldn't possibly move any slower than at present. It can take over 30 minutes to get from Mallow to Buttevant, a distance of 12km.

an hourly stopping train via Limerick Junction, to Limerick, with extra stations and connecting at the junction with a proper service to Waterford would be of far greater value, but you digress :-)

M20 motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭prunudo

If anything M20 will benefit the environment and green agenda. How is it good to have traffic stuck in the villages and towns along the n20. By opening up a Cork-Limerick motorway you're encouraging express bus services along the route similar to what happens between Dublin and Galway since the M6 was completed.
    It also makes it more efficient to transport goods between the 2 cities as the journey times will reduce but if you were to believe the green brigade, motorways are only for cars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

And how will this train get people to where they work in Raheen, Castletroy, Annacotty or even Shannon? Most using the current N20 aren't going city to city and aren't heading to the city centers. Your idea will simply lead to more empty loss making trains.

• Advertisement

it's not my idea, it's my rebuttal of the idea to re-open the direct line.

The M20 motorway would be of no use at all to people heading for the Lim Jnc /Tipperary area.

The places you list can be served by bus for the handful of passengers likely from Charleville.

I do wish people would read the posts.

it's not my idea, it's my rebuttal of the idea to re-open the direct line.

The M20 motorway would be of no use at all to people heading for the Lim Jnc /Tipperary area.

The places you list can be served by bus for the handful of passengers likely from Charleville.

I do wish people would read the posts.

No.it doesn't
    There a huge amount of commercial traffic on n20. No bus or train going to help.

Its cheaper for me to have a car with insurance and tax and fuel added in than take the bus. That's a very very sad statement of our so called transport system.
    I know many people who have to drive n20 every day in commercial vehicles and also in cars.
    There is no way will transport system work for major of users of n20.

Plus it's a crap road in bad weather . Look at m8 or m7 .how its help everyone.

This answer of bus or train isn't going to work for everyone even if they drop tickets prices .And we know they wont.
    As a regular user of n20 a motorway is needed.
    Many users of n20 I know say the same and sick of excuses of why it's not built yet.

If you dont agree with a m20 motorway being built then your in a minority because there a huge amount of people who are waiting decades.

The citys will grow and m20 motorway will be a lot safer then it currently is in many ways.

I use to have from limerick to cork years ago and it bad road then .its changed very little in 20 years and today I'm driving opposite direction. I have several stops on the way so no bus or train will work for me as I use equipment for work.

No.it doesn't
    There a huge amount of commercial traffic on n20. No bus or train going to help.

Its cheaper for me to have a car with insurance and tax and fuel added in than take the bus. That's a very very sad statement of our so called transport system.
    I know many people who have to drive n20 every day in commercial vehicles and also in cars.
    There is no way will transport system work for major of users of n20.

Plus it's a crap road in bad weather . Look at m8 or m7 .how its help everyone.

This answer of bus or train isn't going to work for everyone even if they drop tickets prices .And we know they wont.
    As a regular user of n20 a motorway is needed.
    Many users of n20 I know say the same and sick of excuses of why it's not built yet.

If you dont agree with a m20 motorway being built then your in a minority because there a huge amount of people who are waiting decades.

The citys will grow and m20 motorway will be a lot safer then it currently is in many ways.

I use to have from limerick to cork years ago and it bad road then .its changed very little in 20 years and today I'm driving opposite direction. I have several stops on the way so no bus or train will work for me as I use equipment for work.
    again I wish people would read the posts, you are totally misrepresenting me.

again I wish people would read the posts, you are totally misrepresenting me.

Your bit about being no use to limerick junction and tipperary and about Charlieville served by a bus .
    Not everyone coming to and from charleville.
    Its cork to limerick as whole it's for.
    Why you on about limerick junction and tipp.thats way off other direction.
    They decided go n20 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Build a new train line between Cork and Limerick and you’ll see numbers like using the Limerick Galway service.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

Build a new train line between Cork and Limerick and you’ll see numbers like using the Limerick Galway service.

Surprisingly there is a queue of students out the door of Limerick Station every Friday for the train to Galway. Quieter other times I’m sure.

We digress, but Dooradoyle could/should be better linked than just by road.

Meantime, the M20 will improve bus times, as others have said.

quoting myself "However , we are where we are and a short term solution to people dying is to build the M20 asap"
    which bit do people not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Along with PPARs, and voting machine's a huge waste of exchequer funds. Only used by students and OAP's it is heavily subsidized. Busses on the motorway would do the same job as they do on the M7.
    If the N 20 option is used rather than a ring road around county Limerick via Cahir it will revolution the Cork to Galway corridor. Cork to Galway will be a sub two hour journey. When you add in the Foynes Port access road you have a complete economic area with a viable port and airport right in the center of it.

Because of out population density and urban sprawl ( and in an ideal situation we would not start here) Busses are much more efficient transport system than trains especially adding in the journey time on the Limerick Galway route. The ability of the private sector to deliver commercial bus routes to demand is a huge advantage of buses over rail as a transfer system in Ireland

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

Advertisement