Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Will these people ever just fcuk off trying to justify going via the M8/N24, the N20 is and will always be a deathtrap of a road unless the M20 shadows the N20. That man wouldn't dare stand in front of any family who have lost a loved one on that road and say it, incidentally, have any such persons come forward to support the M20.

I see hes not good at maths neither the clown .
    N24 is way off the other direction. Where n20 from cork to limerick is more direct route for people going between the 2 cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's really unbelievable that anyone could think that a journey from Blarney (for instance) to Limerick should have a choice of a dangerous N20 or miles out of the way M8/N24. Or Adare to Cork City as another example.

The M20 is needed for the people of the N20 hinterland as much as it is journeys starting and finishing in Cork or Limerick Cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I see hes not good at maths neither the clown .
    N24 is way off the other direction. Where n20 from cork to limerick is more direct route for people going between the 2 cities.

It amazes me how people like him end up in the positions they occupy when they quite rightly cannot count as you say.

Just say that he got his way and it went via the N24 and onto the M8, combine this with the Dunkettle Interchange upgrade being scrapped, you would have all major traffic from the West/South West and East of the country coming into what is already a chronically congested bottleneck getting 10 times worse. I'm sick to god of these objectors/N.I.M.B.Y's/Protesters or whatever people might wish to call them. I couldn't care less if the cost is 9 billion once the damn thing is built and lord knows with the over spends going on in this great little country anything in that regard is possible.

It amazes me how people like him end up in the positions they occupy when they quite rightly cannot count as you say.

Just say that he got his way and it went via the N24 and onto the M8, combine this with the Dunkettle Interchange upgrade being scrapped, you would have all major traffic from the West/South West and East of the country coming into what is already a chronically congested bottleneck getting 10 times worse. I'm sick to god of these objectors/N.I.M.B.Y's/Protesters or whatever people might wish to call them. I couldn't care less if the cost is 9 billion once the damn thing is built and lord knows with the over spends going on in this great little country anything in that regard is possible.

What's the story with dunkettle upgrade. Is it scrapped or on hold or what? .nothing happening for months with it just growing weeds again

What's the story with dunkettle upgrade. Is it scrapped or on hold or what? .nothing happening for months with it just growing weeds again

It's to do with the cost apparently. initially the price was €100 million, apparently now it's 115 possibly rising to 170, the government at at loggerheads with Sisk over it, if Sisk are let go then it will be delayed by another 12-18 months while the retendering process to select another contractor takes place. Varadkar is on record as saying it will go ahead but stopped short of saying there won't be any delays, imagine scrapping the Dunkettle interchange due to costs and these people then want to stick the N20/N24 traffic down the throat of said junction. The weeds will form a jungle again before this matter is resolved, The childrens hospital,broadband and Cork events centre saga's are evidence that if you play your cards right with this Fine Gael led government then you can extract the maximum amount of cash possible, Sisk are taking several pages out of BAM's book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem with the N24 option V the N20 option is that there is very little commuting caught by the N24 option. The N20 option catches the Mallow and Charlesville towns but it also gives quicker access to Cork for traffic from Foynes port. It also diverts all traffic onto this road. If the N24 is the chosen option the N20 will have to be upgraded anyway as Croom to Charlesville, Buttervant to Mallow and onto the revamped N20 going into cork all needs to be upgraded.

I can see there thinking with the N24 they could then carry this on to Waterford abn this would technically be the Limerick Waterford and Cork Waterford motorway. However It would be a huge issue for traffic on the western side of Limerick as the N20 would still be a horrendusly busy road.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭steeler j

I live near the n24 and I don't think the n20 should be ran by the n24 or m8 ,it would have to travel way south if tipp town and surrounding villages because of the mountains and , people in tipp town area would be still going to cahir or pallasgreen to get to a motorway ,it would be a motorway that would pass through the country side and no where near the towns on either the n20 or the n24 cahir to Limerick junction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Limerick74 wrote: »

This makes my blood boil. Who is this gobshyte and why do his statements get reported upon as if they have any relevance or importance?

What is the organisation he represents? **** knows, they have zero online presence apart from this gobshyte making statements about a Cork/Limerick motorway traveling north of the Galtee mountains. I'm deliberately not repeating his name or the organisation he represents so as not to increase the number of search hits he/they might have, wouldn't want them to have to count on their second hand.

Save money? You may as well not spend anything at all, save even more by using the equally useful motorway route through Portlaoise when traveling between Cork and Limerick compared to what he's proposing.

What's his angle? Does he just get off on having his name in print or is there something else involved. I see he's a failed FG local election candidate, is it just a case of no such thing as bad publicity or perhaps a NIMBY angle.

The organisation has an important sounding name but is there in fact even a single other human involved?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

alias no.9 wrote: »
    This makes my blood boil. Who is this gobshyte and why do his statements get reported upon as if they have any relevance or importance?

What is the organisation he represents? **** knows, they have zero online presence apart from this gobshyte making statements about a Cork/Limerick motorway traveling north of the Galtee mountains. I'm deliberately not repeating his name or the organisation he represents so as not to increase the number of search hits he/they might have, wouldn't want them to have to count on their second hand.

Save money? You may as well not spend anything at all, save even more by using the equally useful motorway route through Portlaoise when traveling between Cork and Limerick compared to what he's proposing.

What's his angle? Does he just get off on having his name in print or is there something else involved. I see he's a failed FG local election candidate, is it just a case of no such thing as bad publicity or perhaps a NIMBY angle.

The organisation has an important sounding name but is there in fact even a single other human involved?

Open to correction but I believe that group are farmers along the route objecting to land acquisition either because they are losing land, splitting farms or losing right of ways.

Pure me feinism and why it's getting any attention is bizarre.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »

Open to correction but I believe that group are farmers along the route objecting to land acquisition either because they are losing land, splitting farms or losing right of ways.

NIMBY it is then. The proposal is so batsh1t crazy I almost believed he must own a tract of land along the N24, a route west of the Galtees via Mitchelstown is bad but to go north of the Galtees via Cahir would be simply insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

You are correct, directly impacted by 2010 scheme.

Just this update about dunkettle upgrade from dunkettle upgrade project

There has been speculation in the media with regard to the Dunkettle Interchange Upgrade project in recent weeks. The following is an update on the status of the project.

Due to the scale and complexity of the project, the form of contract chosen by TII to deliver this project is a 2-stage contract with ‘Early Contractor Involvement’. Stage 1 is used to de-risk the project in advance of the Stage 2 main works construction. At Stage 1, TII works with the Stage 1 contractor to develop the design and seek clarity on costs associated with Stage 2 construction. In May 2018, following a competition, the contract was awarded to John Sisk and Son Limited. During Stage 1, in addition to developing the design of the project in detail, the contractor has carried out additional ground investigations, engaged with utility owners, undertaken environmental mitigation works, and developed construction methods and sequencing.  Complex traffic management arrangements, which are crucial to minimising disruption to motorists during the upgrade works, have also been developed. On the basis of the design development completed during Stage 1, the contractor will, over the coming days, submit their forecast of the cost to carry out the main works construction. TII will then assess this submission to determine if this cost is acceptable. It is anticipated that this assessment will be complete within the next month. If TII and the Stage 1 contractor agree this cost, TII will submit to the Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport, requesting approval from Government, to proceed to Stage 2. If the cost is not agreed, then Stage 2, main works construction, will be removed from the contract and TII will return to the marketplace to seek to achieve better value for the taxpayer. If this is the case, the site investigation, planning, and design developed to date will be used as part of a new tender process. If required, it is anticipated that this additional tender process would take 12 to 18 months to complete. If this additional time is required, some works, such as major utility diversions, are likely to continue as smaller advance works items, in order to further de-risk the project and minimise the time required to complete the main construction works. We hope to update you on the project status in our next newsletter, to be issued on Friday 02nd August

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Is the stage 1 bidder then allowed to bid on stage 2? Surely they have a much better idea of costs at that stage? Do other bidders get full disclosure on the stage 1 report?

After the childrens hospital I'm glad we're looking at new ways of procurement, just not sure I fully understand the benefit of this

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Is the stage 1 bidder then allowed to bid on stage 2? Surely they have a much better idea of costs at that stage? Do other bidders get full disclosure on the stage 1 report?

After the childrens hospital I'm glad we're looking at new ways of procurement, just not sure I fully understand the benefit of this

Government will never learn !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭steeler j

North of the galtees also means north off Tipperary town ,it doesn't make sense to me to go that way

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

First public consultation to take place before year end according to TII

Article

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

That'll be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

Hopefully the annoucement of the Ryder Cup being hosted in Adare will give the m20 a push in the right direction.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/433822/crucial-m20-progressed-now-ryder-cup-confirmed-says-limerick-senator.html

Unless JP McManus comes along with a cheque book there isn't a hope in hell of the road being done by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Unless JP McManus comes along with a cheque book there isn't a hope in hell of the road being done by then.

It will happen when Mallow hosts the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    Hopefully the annoucement of the Ryder Cup being hosted in Adare will give the m20 a push in the right direction.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/433822/crucial-m20-progressed-now-ryder-cup-confirmed-says-limerick-senator.html

The Adare By pass will be it is part of the upgrade to Foynes port.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Its a real shame the motorway wont be built because Cork would be a viable option for alternative accommodation when Limerick becomes inevitably full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Mallow bridge being closed northbound until September, expect chaos leading to Annabella.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Mallow bridge being closed northbound until September, expect chaos leading to Annabella.

Which bridge is this? The bridge on the N20 over the blackwater that by passes the town like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Hogzy wrote: »
    Which bridge is this? The bridge on the N20 over the blackwater that by passes the town like?

no , it's the Town bridge, hey are attaching a pedestrian walkway

steeler j wrote: »
    North of the galtees also means north off Tipperary town ,it doesn't make sense to me to go that way

That indeed was my point, to use a word I picked up in Limerick many moons ago, this gowl is being given the oxygen of publicity with supposed money saving alternative of a route that joins up with the M8 at Cahir.

He clearly had an ulterior motive which has not been challenged in any of the publications, and they wonder why journalism is dying. His proposed alternative is so bat**** crazy that I initially thought the ulterior motive was that maybe he owned some development land in Cahir but he turns out to be a common or garden NIMBY in Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Saw this and thought it might be relevant here when a link to the M8 at Mitchelstown is mentioned

Exaggerated relief map of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Paddico

Tunnel under the Galtees .... no bother a mhac

• Advertisement

Another tragedy on the N20 this morning near Newtwopothouse. R.I.P

Is the message not hitting home with the 'gubberment' that this is one of the most dangerous national roads in the country.

Advertisement