Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

marno21 wrote: »
    Bit rich of Eamon Ryan to be complaining about road building, given he was part of the Government that built the most km of motorway in the history of the State, by some margin

Highly qualified, highly paid people said last week that the Green Party motion for a Cork-Limerick one is moronic. Maybe leave it to the experts lads

If Ryan is Tanaiste can he stop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bit rich of Eamon Ryan to be complaining about road building, given he was part of the Government that built the most km of motorway in the history of the State, by some margin

Highly qualified, highly paid people said last week that the Green Party motion for a Cork-Limerick one is moronic. Maybe leave it to the experts lads

They didn’t a fortune on roads and nothing on rail. This now other than the m20 , needs to be turned on it heads. The greens should make dart underground, their price for government

• Registered Users Posts: 18,589 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If Ryan is Tanaiste can he stop it?

He won't be Tainste. It will be all down to the program for Government. We will know in 6-8 weeks. Even if there is s recession it an ideal time to start 2-3 large infrastructure projects. I was in Australia last year and visited Brisbane. I was on a harbour tour and the guide said every time over the 20-30 years there was a recession there was a bridge build in Brisbane.

If we enter a recession it would be an ideal time to do the M30, the underground Dart and carry out. Social and affordable housing project. Because we have not spend over the last 5 years it would be possible to carry out such projects. But they need to be going ahead full tilt now

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

Segment on tonight’s six one news about farmers that were previously impacted by M20.

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Segment on tonight’s six one news about farmers that were previously impacted by M20.

Didn't see it, i take it they are 'objectors' ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Didn't see it, i take it they are 'objectors' ???

There are huge merits to the Chinese system. Just take the land off them and rehouse them in Tower blocks.

There are huge merits to the Chinese system. Just take the land off them and rehouse them in Tower blocks.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We cannot do that as we are not allowed to build tower blocks. :D

We cannot do that as we are not allowed to build tower blocks. :D

That’s all we will be allowed build soon.

2023 before it goes to planning? Christ I’ll be in the truckers lounge in the sky before that road is finished

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

FFS the route hasn't been selected yet. That's based on the 2011 route which isn't guaranteed.

You'd think RTE would have enough for the news today with the coronavirus.

THEYll probably invite the livestock to one of their endless consultations. And it won’t be called a public consultation any more. Just a “ consultation “

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

If the M20 isn’t built after government formation talks any big hitting TD on the N20 route is in trouble, SF don’t have a TD along that way either.

The fact the M20 hasn't been built yet would suggest there has never been a big hitting TD on the N20 route.

neddynasty wrote: »
    The fact the M20 hasn't been built yet would suggest there has never been a big hitting TD on the N20 route.

There was the Minister for Finance but he had no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Sure didn’t we have Dara Murphy pushing hard for it??

Oh wait.... wasn’t he fannying around in Brussels instead of representing his constituents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

FFS the route hasn't been selected yet. That's based on the 2011 route which isn't guaranteed.

You'd think RTE would have enough for the news today with the coronavirus.

I recognised one of the houses in that video which is right at the south end of the Croom bypass and they would be absolutely mad not to use at least part of the Croom bypass as the M20. I reckon that house (or his very long driveway) will almost certainly be in the firing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

This article in the Irish Times suggests the route will not be going to An Bord Pleanála for planning til 2023! Surely quicker than that?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tii-confirms-n20-corridor-as-route-for-cork-limerick-motorway-1.4178730

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

The N20 corridor option provided the highest journey time savings between Cork and Limerick as well as having the potential to save the greatest number of road-based collisions, accidents and fatalities across the network.

It would also provide an opportunity for express inter-city bus services to use the new route and would therefore lead to improved public transport service times and reliability as well as providing good opportunities for connections to the existing Cork-Limerick rail link.
    Now, Green Party, we'll hear no more nonsense about a route via the M8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

someone remind me why they couldnt just reuse the materials from the planning that was already done ?

serfboard wrote: »
    Now, Green Party, we'll hear no more nonsense about a route via the M8.

I sent a screenshot to Dan Boyle, love him or loath him his engagement is fantastic.

https://twitter.com/sendboyle/status/1234449607314329600?s=21

I sent a screenshot to Dan Boyle, love him or loath him his engagement is fantastic.
    Dan Boyle wrote:
    Our key issue is that with current thinking every roads project is deemed more important than any investment is sustainable transport.
    No, Dan Boyle, the M20 is considered a better use of resources that your idea of a routing via the M8.

You also have to wonder how much the Greens really know about transport. For instance, there is a Cork->Galway direct service (i.e. not stopping in Limerick) provided on Fridays on Sundays (only, currently) by Citylink. (Here and here). You can leave Galway on Friday or Sunday at 9:30, 13:30 or 18:00 and be in Cork @ 12:00, 16:00 or 20:30, a journey of two and a half hours.

How much quicker will that journey be when the M20 is built?

But I keep forgetting - the Greens don't consider buses to be public transport. 'Tis rail only for them.

As I said before, the Greens did not get transport in the last coalition, and they won't get it in the next one either.

I agree with him in general, but The m20 needs to be built. After that, the budget needs to massively increased towards rail based transport...

serfboard wrote: »
    No, Dan Boyle, the M20 is considered a better use of resources that your idea of a routing via the M8.

You also have to wonder how much the Greens really know about transport. For instance, there is a Cork->Galway direct service (i.e. not stopping in Limerick) provided on Fridays on Sundays (only, currently) by Citylink. (Here and here). You can leave Galway on Friday or Sunday at 9:30, 13:30 or 18:00 and be in Cork @ 12:00, 16:00 or 20:30, a journey of two and a half hours.

How much quicker will that journey be when the M20 is built?

But I keep forgetting - the Greens don't consider buses to be public transport. 'Tis rail only for them.

As I said before, the Greens did not get transport in the last coalition, and they won't get it in the next one either.

I’ll send your reply to him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

https://twitter.com/sendboyle/status/1234449607314329600?s=21

Yep his engagement is great.

I disagree with him that we should stop all roads expenditure.

But I agree with him that the roads should not get the majority of land transport capital expenditure. I think there needs to be a supermajority of expenditure on sustainable transport.

But the M20 is critical national infrastructure.
    And unless the M28 is done, there's no hope of a reliable public transport corridor to Carrigaline either.
    Whether you cover the above by demanding dedicated sustainable transport corridors on these projects is a different story entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I agree with him in general, but The m20 needs to be built. After that, the budget needs to massively increased towards rail based transport...

I'd say not just rail, there's an awful lot of sustainable projects awaiting funding.

I'd say not just rail, there's an awful lot of sustainable projects awaiting funding.
    Bus Connects (for all the cities), Park n' Rides, more bus and bike lanes, for examples.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is just bizarre from the Green Party. A team of qualified experts has spent a year assessing which option of Cork-Limerick is the best and they have discovered that the N20 route is the only viable option. The volume of traffic that would use the other SIX corridors they examined is not enough to make a non-N20 routing viable. In other words, any option other than the N20 routing would be a waste of money. This involved lengthy periods of data collection, analysis and modelling. Yet the Green Party are unwilling to accept the findings of this scientific research.

What's the difference here between denial of the non=viability of an M8 routing and denial of the scientific consensus on climate change?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This is just bizarre from the Green Party. A team of qualified experts has spent a year assessing which option of Cork-Limerick is the best and they have discovered that the N20 route is the only viable option. The volume of traffic that would use the other SIX corridors they examined is not enough to make a non-N20 routing viable. In other words, any option other than the N20 routing would be a waste of money. This involved lengthy periods of data collection, analysis and modelling. Yet the Green Party are unwilling to accept the findings of this scientific research.

What's the difference here between denial of the non=viability of an M8 routing and denial of the scientific consensus on climate change?

I think it is that old conundrum of the perfect being the enemy of the good.

Advertisement