Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is it to cynical to say that the Green Parties acceptance of being in Government means this motorway will be on the back burner for even longer? If not scrapped altogether.

I look forward to Michael Martins failure to deliver for the people of Cork in continuing the tradition the previous coalition was so successful at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Is it to cynical to say that the Green Parties acceptance of being in Government means this motorway will be on the back burner for even longer?
    The Green Party have not been in government for nine years. What progress has been made on this road in the meantime?

Or, what progress was made on this road until the Greens were in government in 2007?

But yes, go ahead, attempting to blame the Greens for non-delivery of this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

They're on record as opposing the M20. Now they're in government. Hence, questioning their input into the matter is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

serfboard wrote: »
    The Green Party have not been in government for nine years. What progress has been made on this road in the meantime?

Or, what progress was made on this road until the Greens were in government in 2007?

But yes, go ahead, attempting to blame the Greens for non-delivery of this road.

Considering they are opposed to And the fact that it has moved on from where it was a few years back -( albeit it with possible Hollow election Promises) It’s not unrealistic to think their seat at the big table might bring about its shelving.

A government that is looking to cut spending where one of their partners is against starting an infrastructure project makes the possibility of this road even slimmer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Considering they are opposed to And the fact that it has moved on from where it was a few years back -( albeit it with possible Hollow election Promises) It’s not unrealistic to think their seat at the big table might bring about its shelving.

A government that is looking to cut spending where one of their partners is against starting an infrastructure project makes the possibility of this road even slimmer.

We are a bit away from knowing the outcome.

First - will there be a vote in favour of a Government.

Second - who gets which ministry.

Third - will the EU sponsor post Covid funding of important infrastructure to jump start the economy.

Lets get the first step out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

With some of the (quite public) rumblings going on in the Green party, we may all be spared the appalling vista of them ever getting into power, it would appear as though there is a chance they may not get past the 2/3rds majority.

PS: Pat Leahy in the Irish Times reckons the M20 is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

With some of the (quite public) rumblings going on in the Green party, we may all be spared the appalling vista of them ever getting into power, it would appear as though there is a chance they may not get past the 2/3rds majority.

PS: Pat Leahy in the Irish Times reckons the M20 is safe.

Ranting about wolves or that the M20 was not needed that sending traffic 50 KM out of it way and putting in a rail line is why the Greens are often not taken seriously. Eamon Ryan is the doddery old uncle nice lad and everyone like him but nobody will lend him there car or leave him minding the house unless supervised by at least a 16-18 year old

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The issue is the Greens are primarily a city focused party and don’t seem to understand what daily life entails past the suburbs.

Their car sharing idea just showed their complete and utter lack of understanding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The issue is the Greens are primarily a city focused party and don’t seem to understand what daily life entails past the suburbs.

Their car sharing idea just showed their complete and utter lack of understanding.

I think the national response to the restrictions brought about Covid19 shows that when the populace understands why, then they can responded in a good way and put personal position to the second place compared with its normal first place.

I think they are not good at explaining WHY in terms that the general population can understand and buy into, and consequentially they are misunderstood by most people and lose their possible appeal.

Public transport works in urban areas but less so in rural areas. Car sharing could work in rural areas but has not been tried in a realistic way, so does not appeal to rural voters. So they should be promoting PT and P&R and not just bicycles.

Cutting emissions from agriculture has to be done, but the most obvious way (cutting herd numbers) is not acceptable to herd owners. However, there are other ways, and anyway, those herds of suckler cows do not turn a profit. They should be explaining HOW to cut emissions and still allow profitable agriculture.

Eamonn Ryan standing in the Dail in the middle of a debate on Covid spouting about growing lettuce on the window sill as a solution to a food shortage has to be the most bizarre thing I have ever watched.

I think they Greens need a new leader who speaks to the masses.

I think the national response to the restrictions brought about Covid19 shows that when the populace understands why, then they can responded in a good way and put personal position to the second place compared with its normal first place.

I think they are not good at explaining WHY in terms that the general population can understand and buy into, and consequentially they are misunderstood by most people and lose their possible appeal.

Public transport works in urban areas but less so in rural areas. Car sharing could work in rural areas but has not been tried in a realistic way, so does not appeal to rural voters. So they should be promoting PT and P&R and not just bicycles.

Cutting emissions from agriculture has to be done, but the most obvious way (cutting herd numbers) is not acceptable to herd owners. However, there are other ways, and anyway, those herds of suckler cows do not turn a profit. They should be explaining HOW to cut emissions and still allow profitable agriculture.

Eamonn Ryan standing in the Dail in the middle of a debate on Covid spouting about growing lettuce on the window sill as a solution to a food shortage has to be the most bizarre thing I have ever watched.

I think they Greens need a new leader who speaks to the masses.

I don’t want to get political here but the push against Ryan is an ideological one. The economically left wing of the party want to oust Ryan who they view as economically centrist and not “woke”. Their priority doesn’t just include green matters but all sorts of social justice matters. Will be interesting to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Both cities under discussion here, Cork and Limerick, have appalling public transportation though, to the point of it being essentially non existent in Limerick and non functioning bar one or two bus routes in Cork. There needs to be a complete overhaul in both cities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

snotboogie wrote: »
    Both cities under discussion here, Cork and Limerick, have appalling public transportation though, to the point of it being essentially non existent in Limerick and non functioning bar one or two bus routes in Cork. There needs to be a complete overhaul in both cities.

True but it shouldn't be instead of the M20. It shouldn't be either/or, it should be both.

I don’t want to get political here but the push against Ryan is an ideological one. The economically left wing of the party want to oust Ryan who they view as economically centrist and not “woke”. Their priority doesn’t just include green matters but all sorts of social justice matters. Will be interesting to see what happens.

But it was Ryan who made the M20 political.

I tend to agree with the rest of your post, but as you say, it is off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

What does that mean? The M20 goes ahead or not? It goes to the back of the queue?

What does that mean? The M20 goes ahead or not? It goes to the back of the queue?

I’ve just asked him, will post the reply if I get one, he’s usually good at replying but the odd tweet slips under the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭gifted

I just drove the Limerick to Cork road today...jesus but it's a death trap .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

In this case I'm pretty sure "reprioritised" is politics speak for "canned".

Probably, Dan is from Cork. Why would he look to can such a vital link for his city?

Probably, Dan is from Cork. Why would he look to can such a vital link for his city?

He’s aligned to his party’s desire for an M24 instead, with upgrades to the N20 in lieu of a motorway.

• Advertisement

I’ve asked him to clarify it and he hasn’t as yet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Because simplified ideology trumps pragmatism for many members of the Green Party

Other Green Party candidates in Cork pushing for an M24 instead of M20 and to a lesser extent N25 improvements is just bonkers stuff

marno21 wrote: »
    Because simplified ideology trumps pragmatism for many members of the Green Party

Other Green Party candidates in Cork pushing for an M24 instead of M20 and to a lesser extent N25 improvements is just bonkers stuff

The Cork Green’s like to do everything they can to hurt the city. It’s extraordinary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

To me it reads that if other projects get repriortised, but the M20 doesn't, it means the M20 is safe.

It was specifically mentioned in FFs manifesto and I'm pretty sure it was in FGs too. With a Cork Taoiseach I honestly can't see it get canned.

It could be slowed down though....

gifted wrote: »
    I just drove the Limerick to Cork road today...jesus but it's a death trap .

I did Cork to Galway return in an artic for a while, the roads are dangerous, the lunatics using them even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The Cork Green’s like to do everything they can to hurt the city. It’s extraordinary.

Is the lack of an M20 really hurting the city specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭gifted

donvito99 wrote: »
    Is the lack of an M20 really hurting the city specifically?

It hurts the people who die on the existing road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Just to clarify - when I referenced "reprioritised" as "canned", what I think he's saying is that other projects will be reprioritised/canned in the review but this one will survive the chop.

Just to clarify - when I referenced "reprioritised" as "canned", what I think he's saying is that other projects will be reprioritised/canned in the review but this one will survive the chop.

That's what i was gathering from it, why he couldn't say it in plain English i don't know.

• Advertisement

That's what i was gathering from it, why he couldn't say it in plain English i don't know.

Because he is a politician, and one who failed to get re-elected.

Advertisement