Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That's what i was gathering from it, why he couldn't say it in plain English i don't know.

Yes, I took his reply to mean that the M20 is Green proof, but other projects won't be. This would be consistent with what The Irish Times and The Business Post have been saying. I'm cautiously optimistic that I will see this road before I turn 40 (I'm 31 now) now.

PS: I'm given to understand that the 2:1 split on roads to public transport comes AFTER the road maintenance budget has been allocated. The PfG specifically uses the words 'new' and 'infrastructure' when it talked about this split on public transport to roads. It also says that the existing budget on maintenance will be unaffected.

That's why the FG TDs have been saying that new roads projects will still get done in this Government. The wording is very clever actually, far cleverer than I gave them credit for on the first reading of the PfG!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Because he is a politician, and one who failed to get re-elected.

Was it 2014 he stood for the European Parliament unsuccessfully? I’m curious to see will all 4 Cork City Greens retain their seats in 2024.

Yes, I took his reply to mean that the M20 is Green proof, but other projects won't be. This would be consistent with what The Irish Times and The Business Post have been saying. I'm cautiously optimistic that I will see this road before I turn 40 (I'm 31 now) now.

PS: I'm given to understand that the 2:1 split on roads to public transport comes AFTER the road maintenance budget has been allocated. The PfG specifically uses the words 'new' and 'infrastructure' when it talked about this split on public transport to roads. It also says that the existing budget on maintenance will be unaffected.

That's why the FG TDs have been saying that new roads projects will still get done in this Government. The wording is very clever actually, far cleverer than I gave them credit for on the first reading of the PfG!

I’d love to know was it something they had to back down on in order to gain other concessions. I’ve read those articles and if true, which not all tabloids are, I’d remain optimistic for now.

I hope you’re right about it being done in the next 10 years, Cork should also have Dunkettle and the M28 by then. The Northern Ring Road will be shelved along with Macroom to Ovens.

If Cork can’t get major road projects with a local Taoiseach and minister for public expenditure then we have no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I’d love to know was it something they had to back down on in order to gain other concessions. I’ve read those articles and if true, which not all tabloids are, I’d remain optimistic for now.

I hope you’re right about it being done in the next 10 years, Cork should also have Dunkettle and the M28 by then. The Northern Ring Road will be shelved along with Macroom to Ovens.

If Cork can’t get major road projects with a local Taoiseach and minister for public expenditure then we have no hope.

Limerick couldn’t get it with a Minister for Finance. Coveney did nothing for Cork during his time as Tanaiste, indeed was lucky to keep his seat, a lot of voters in his constituency seriously pissed off with the Dauphin.

Limerick couldn’t get it with a Minister for Finance. Coveney did nothing for Cork during his time as Tanaiste, indeed was lucky to keep his seat, a lot of voters in his constituency seriously pissed off with the Dauphin.

Noonan was as big a Scrooge as you could get. Coveney has done feck all in his time as a politician and is now looking likely to me the next minister for justice. Imagine how his constituents will feel with the Taoiseach, minister for public expenditure and minister for justice all in the one constituency, there’ll be some seriously swelled heads.

• Advertisement

Noonan was as big a Scrooge as you could get. Coveney has done feck all in his time as a politician and is now looking likely to me the next minister for justice. Imagine how his constituents will feel with the Taoiseach, minister for public expenditure and minister for justice all in the one constituency, there’ll be some seriously swelled heads.

There won’t be three senior ministers in South Central.

There won’t be three senior ministers in South Central.

Martin will get a ministry once December 2022 arrives. Him,McGrath & Coveney will all be at the cabinet table. They are all South Central.

]

I think it would unfair on the rest of the country and leave a sour taste if there were to be 3 ministers in one constituency.
    Cork people are insufferable enough and even more so on the southside😀.
    Don’t forget all 3 of these idiots oppose the M28.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

that would be cork city people, Us North Cork People are just great

Isambard wrote: »

Stanton might get a promotion by FG, i can't see young O'Connor at 22 being anything other than backbench. At 6' 7 he might attain the title of tallest TD, that's all.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »

You’re just Kerry people really.

Stanton might get a promotion by FG, i can't see young O'Connor at 22 being anything other than backbench. At 6' 7 he might attain the title of tallest TD, that's all.

What has Stanton ever done?

What has Stanton ever done?

F**k all, hence how i can't understand how he was re-elected

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we stick with the motorway from Cork to Limerick and leave out the petty pokes at Cork people even if you are from Cork.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The Greens have said that no road project will be canned, but none will go to construction during the 5 year term of the government.
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1273608181776867328

Mod: Can we stick with the motorway from Cork to Limerick and leave out the petty pokes at Cork people even if you are from Cork.

Can you develop a sense of humour Sam. Thanks.

This new government isn’t even in place and already the setbacks begin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

The Green Party are an absolute joke. This decision is disgraceful. How many more deaths will they have on their hands? What do they want us all to do? Cycle from Limerick to Cork. I thought FFG were bad but these shysters take the biscuit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

The amount of times that I saw traffic backed up for many kilometers due to various reasons on the main road between Ireland's 2nd and 3rd largest cities are numerous. It is happening on a daily basis I presume, with one of the reasons being a slow moving tractor that cannot be safely passed on one of the bottleneck sections. Can't blame the tractor driver; it's their road too.

So we have a situation of national commerce via trucks and other commercial vehicles, emergency vehicles, and general traffic crawling along due to the unsuitable situation of the Cork/Limerick road. If there was a study done on the pollutants pumped into the air and atmosphere due to these slow moving vehicles, I would hazard a guess that bottleneck pollution and the cost to the economy far exceeds the cost to build the M20 from Cork to Limerick.

This decision was inevitable though when there was a sniff of the Greens getting into power. They will be disastrous for the country, and it is undemocratic that such a small party could have such wide ranging negative consequences for the majority of the people in this country who did not vote for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone here that pro M20 that voted Green? They’ll be turfed out again just like 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

From that article:
    The project – which has been backed by the Limerick Chamber and businesses across the region – was due to go before An Bord Pleanala in 2023, with the road set to involve an upgrade of the existing N20 via Mallow and Charleville.
    People here jumping up and down erroneously - the planning and all the other work necessary in getting this damn project shovel-ready will go ahead.
    It’s still in planning. It’s at a very early stage in planning. That will trundle on for the next few years. There are arguments for good inter-urban road connection between Cork and Limerick, there are good arguments. Whether they could be full scale motorway or not, that remains to be seen. It’s not going to be decided for a number of years yet.
    I can see the planning for it going ahead.
    After the planning, you have the tender process which also takes time.

All of which means that this road is not going to start construction in the next five years, irrespective of whether the Greens are in government or not, depressing though it is to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

Anyone here that pro M20 that voted Green? They’ll be turfed out again just like 2011

Brian Leddin in Limerick the only Green Party TD between Cork and Limerick. Marc O'Cathasaigh in Waterford - not a big issue there - unless they re-route the Motorway from Limerick to Waterford. Don't think they will be turfed out again at all - certainly not on the basis of this issue anyway.

Brian Leddin in Limerick the only Green Party TD between Cork and Limerick. Marc O'Cathasaigh in Waterford - not a big issue there - unless they re-route the Motorway from Limerick to Waterford. Don't think they will be turfed out again at all.

That’s what they want, an M24. We’ll see what lessons they have learned, I can only see FF as an outside chance to vote against this deal for government.

Smyth flip flopping big time now on Twitter, the Greens really need some sort of filter before they open their mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I voted Green :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Mc Love wrote: »
    I voted Green :)
    Why? :eek: They don't just want to kill people by cancelling all the motorways, they were instrumental in sabotaging the Southern part of the Dublin Metro!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Could someone please ask these idiots how is it more environmentally friendly to make people travel an extra 78 km (as per Google maps) on a round trip between Limerick and Cork if their preferred option (M24 between Limerick and the M8) goes ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The Greens have said that no road project will be canned, but none will go to construction during the 5 year term of the government.

Unless I've missed a quote I don't think that's actually what's been said. The comments were specifically relating to the M20 and Galway bypass projects, not all roads.

I think it's clear that the M20 won't be built on the Green Party's watch. The fudge to get this through the new agreement seems to be that it was unlikely to commence in the next five years anyway and they won't necessarily prevent the planning works for the road being progressed.

But I think two things are clear:

1) Any prospects of the project being fast forwarded due to MM being Taoiseach are now out the window

2) If the road is to be built during the next government term (in theory 2025 to 2030) the Greens will need to be removed from office first.

Advertisement