Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It doesnt, as it had already been postponed. I dont believe its cancelled, unlike some other stuff. It'll be taken through the statutory processes but wont be built until post 2015 and some recovery.

Both sections are still PPPs but at a ballpark figure I dont think the whole of the M20 will be open until about 2020.
    It's not cancelled and neither is anything else. A large number of schemes are "suspended" though, which means there'll be no progress until they get reactivated. But they will, cause they're still essential and haven't suddenly stopped being so just because of a recession. Plenty of other countries have no money either but it doesn't seem to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Plenty of other countries have no money either but it doesn't seem to stop them.

Other countries have long term year on year plans for infrastructure.

Also many countries use large scale infrastructure project as stimulus packages during economic downturns. This results in lower construction cost and the infrastructure is then in place when the upswing occurs.

Instead of squandering money in the good times like berty/cowen(irl) brown(uk) bush(USA) with give away tax cuts, the smarter squirrel take the surplus and puts it in a rainy day fund to cover expenditure during economic downturns.

However this amy not work in Ireland as the invested money would just be used to pay dole and government employees.

A national infrastructure investment bank which would receive x% of GDP every year would possibly be able to even out infrastructure investment over the economic cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

tharlear wrote: »
    Other countries have long term year on year plans for infrastructure.

Also many countries use large scale infrastructure project as stimulus packages during economic downturns. This results in lower construction cost and the infrastructure is then in place when the upswing occurs.

Instead of squandering money in the good times like berty/cowen(irl) brown(uk) bush(USA) with give away tax cuts, the smarter squirrel take the surplus and puts it in a rainy day fund to cover expenditure during economic downturns.

However this amy not work in Ireland as the invested money would just be used to pay dole and government employees.

A national infrastructure investment bank which would receive x% of GDP every year would possibly be able to even out infrastructure investment over the economic cycle

And your post inadvertently explains why public transport projects took so long to even reach the table and why many are on hold and delayed. We gave the money away to the people so they could splurge and never thought about infrastructure that could set us up nicely for the future, in the event of a recession. Tax cuts and welfare increases are vote grabbers. Public transport isn't on the Irish TD map.

Im way off topic, but god bless the M20. Badly needed. More needed than the Gort - Tuam project and herein lies another example of parish pump politics.

Does anyone in Ireland understand the word....wait for it.......... PRIORITY.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Have to but my hand up here DW. I do understand the word. :)

ps - anyone else find that brat in the bottom right corner holding messages for her wheezing Mum very irritating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Priority? that means "me first" dont it?

• Advertisement

Maybe I should have put this on the m6 thread or a new thread, can one of the mod please move it should be somewhere else
    Priority? That means "me first" don’t it?

That’s politics, it about getting re-elected. So a euro for my county is better for 10 euro for your county, because I don't "take the metro", "drive on motorways" "take the train" "fly out of Shannon", "fly out of Dublin". Anything done there is a waste of time and money as I cannot see how it put money in my pocket today.

Your priority is somebody else NIMBY.
    Getting back to roads m20 etc.

How does one priorities different projects (give the above)?

Looking at Wesley Johnston northern road site I came across a very interesting page.
    http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/motorwaysections.html
    It lists the major project in the north over the last 50 years with (2009 equivalent costs).
    The numbers come out to approx 1.1 billion in today’s money.
    I was trying to put a similar list together for the rest of Ireland but it just became to difficult, so I concentrated on the first MIU completed (m4-m6 to Galway)
    Here is what I came up with. No equivalent costs and I am probably missing some schemes on the 80 and 90, such as Aughrim bypass

Section opening date Type Length Km cost Millions M Ad cost Upgraded
    Huston station to
    Chapelizod 1990 D2
    Palmerstown 1984 D2 1987/1994/2008
    Lucan 1998 D2
    Leixlip, Maynooth, Kilcock 1994 D2M
    Enfield, Kinnegad Dec-05 D2 39km

Kinnegad-Tyrellspass KTK phase1 5-Dec-06 dual carriageway 28km 533M
    Tyrellspass-Kilbeggan KTK phase 2 16-May-07dual carriageway (28 533)
    Kilbeggan-Athlone 16-Jul-08 dual carriageway 29Km
    Athlone bypass 13-Jun-05 dual carriageway 2010
    Athlone-Ballinasloe 23-Jul-09 Motorway 19.4Km 210M
    Ballinasloe-Galway 18-Dec-09 Motorway 56Km 427M
    Galway-bypass 202? Motorway 21km ??? ???

N4 Palmerstown Bypass D2 1984
    N4 Carrick On Shannon Inner Relief Road S2 1984
    N4 Lucan Bypass D2 1988
    N4 Chapelizod Bypass D2 1990
    N4 Mullingar Bypass D2 1994
    N4 Longford Bypass S2 1995
    N4 Drumsna-Jamestown Bypass S2 1996
    N4 Colooney-Ballysadare Bypass D2 1998
    N4 Boyle Bypass/Curlews Bypass S2 1998
    N4 Sligo Inner Relief Road D2 2006
    N4 Edgeworthstown Bypass S2 2007
    N4 Roosky-Dromod Bypass D2+2 2008

M4 Leixlip/Maynooth/Kilcock Bypass D2M 1994
    M4 Kilcock - Kinnegad D2M 2005

N6 Ballinasloe Inner Relief Road S2 1984
    N6 Ornanmore Bypass D2 1986
    N6 Athlone Bypass D2 1991
    N6 Loughrea Bypass S2 2006

M6 Miltownpass-Rochfortbridge Bypass D2M 2006
    M6 Tyrrellspass Bypass D2M 2007
    M6 Moate Bypass D2M 2008

The m6 almost add up to what they spend in the north over 50 years (I know economic people will have a fit when they see this type of claim, but as much as they claim that it is, economics it not a based on science like engineering)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of the N4 schemes you've listed aren't on the MIU segment of it (which is from Heuston to Kinnegad only) but are on the northern reaches; was that an accidental copy and paste of the entire M4/M6 list from somewhere?

was that an accidental copy and paste of the entire M4/M6 list from somewhere?

Yes and I cannot remember where I found it. Might have been on the NRA site. It’s more complete than what I had put together, was on the spread sheet below what I wanted to post.
    Just wanted to start with one motorway and put together a list of project from 1990 to the completion of first interurban m6.
    After that it would be possible to add pre 1990 schemes, and possibly other schemes.

Route: scheme name: opening date: length: cost:
    The bigger schemes in the last 10 years, the info is available in different sites
    Also I'm not familiar with all the smaller schemes on the section of road over the last 20 years.

As stated in previous post, I was impressed with the page on Wesley Johnston site that list the major projects in the north. Just thought putting together something similar would be interesting and possibly useful for looking back at what was achieved during the “Ireland on crack years” otherwise know as the celtic tiger years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

corktina wrote: »
    Priority? that means "me first" dont it?

Only in politics.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Only in politics.

not on the roads then?

• Advertisement

list was from sabre site put together by Enceladus. He says on the sabre site he is updating it but Icannot find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Would it not be better to upgrade the connection from Limerick to the M8 at Cahir. A 52km stretch would be alot cheaper than 100km stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

T Corolla wrote: »
    Would it not be better to upgrade the connection from Limerick to the M8 at Cahir. A 52km stretch would be alot cheaper than 100km stretch

No, but that road should be upgraded to 2+2 when finance permits. The N20 is an important route. As well as linking Cork to Limerick, it also links Cork to Galway. It links Mallow to Cork aswell. The existing N20 is in terrible condition and not fit for purpose at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Some news:
    PEOPLE living in a north Cork town are celebrating victory after successfully persuading the authorities to give them a direct access route to a planned €800 million motorway.

The motorway’s planners had decided not to provide a junction to Buttevant, which was to be the only town along the 80km Cork-Limerick motorway not have a connection to the road.

However, townsfolk mobilised and presented a forceful argument for a connection when they put their case to a lengthy oral hearing held by Bord Pleanála last July.

They said that such a decision would have put the town at a huge economic disadvantage, especially as the proposed nearest junction connections were to be at Charleville and Mallow, both of which are about 10km from Buttevant.

They also pointed out that the objective of the County Development Plan (CDP) was to reverse the town’s population decline.

It stands at just more than 900, but the CDP envisages this will rise to 1,500 by 2020.

McCutcheon Mulcahy consultants acting for locals stressed that the lack of a proper motorway connection would stifle population growth and industrial development.

The board of Bord Pleanála has now written to motorway planners telling them to build a junction which will serve Buttevant and nearby Doneraile.

The board has also asked the road designers to submit plans for the interchange and other minor alterations as soon as possible.

Solicitor Matt Nagle, chairman of the group which fought for the junction link, said he "hugely welcomed" the decision.

"We saw the provision of such a junction as absolutely critical for the future viability and development of Buttevant and its hinterland and put enormous time and resources into making that case at the oral hearing held on the M20," Mr Nagle said.

"This decision is a great outcome for the town and for rural areas generally. It recognises that motorways should serve and benefit all the community, urban and rural, large and small," he added.

Deputy Ned O’Keeffe, who backed the people of Buttevant at the oral hearing, said he welcomed the news.

"This is a vote of confidence in people power in Buttevant and Doneraile," Deputy O’Keeffe said.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, January 06, 2011

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/town-wins-fight-for-junction-with-800m-motorway-141210.html#ixzz1ADVrlwwx

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

De Paper thinking a motorway junction is a "minor alteration", oh god....

CDP or no CDP, Buttevant is too small to get a junction. What are the odds of another tiny LILO?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

MYOB wrote: »
    De Paper thinking a motorway junction is a "minor alteration", oh god....

CDP or no CDP, Buttevant is too small to get a junction. What are the odds of another tiny LILO?

Agreed. Since when is a place with a population of 900 people a town? There are individual housing estates on Cork's southside with far bigger populations. Should they each get an exit from the SRR?

At the outset, I should say that on the whole I am not in favour of a junction for Buttevant. I don't think it would be a disaster if one were included, except insofar as it might set a precedent for every backwater to fight for a junction when a motorway is proposed nearby.

Now, in the "the NRA must be stopped" thread, w2 3v was castigated for focusing only on the population of Tuam. It was pointed out to him that Tuam was not the be all and end all; that it had a hinterland, etc. Well, what of Buttevant's hinterland? What of Doneraile (another settlement that is far from a hub of activity) and surrounding one-offs? Does anyone know how much these factors would contribute to the population using the proposed Buttevant junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

How much on average would a junction like this cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm 50/50 for a Buttevant junction.

Obviously in the Grand Scheme of Things, a motorway should not have a junction there, it just isnt big enough.

That said, in the context of the M20 and Irish motorways, it probably should have one. Given the size of towns on the route, it seemed like a bit of an omission.

And to everyone saying that junctions shouldnt exist for it, dont forget Barefield on the M18 has one, even though its smaller than Buttevant.

I dunno, I guess its good in the long term but it wont be used much.

Edit: Actually its interesting that for once, an Oral Hearing is based on "add a junction please" rather than ceaseless whinging about the scheme from grumpy farmers who stand to benefit from CPOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

The parents place is in Kanturk so selfishly I'd love Buttevant to have a junction so I wouldn't have to drive to Charleville or Mallow to get on the Mway for Limerick/Cork respectively, but if its going to be cost prohibitive and delay the road even further then it not high priority tbh.

• Advertisement

KerranJast wrote: »
    but if its going to be cost prohibitive and delay the road even further then it not high priority tbh.

The good thing about this is that I don't think it can delay the road, since it probably won't start construction for another 5 years.

Furet wrote: »
    The good thing about this is that I don't think it can delay the road, since it probably won't start construction for another 5 years.

According to 96FM its starting next year :rolleyes:

Hogzy wrote: »
    According to 96FM its starting next year :rolleyes:

That is most unlikely. No mention of it in the recent Four-Year Plan or budget, both of which were pretty specific about what would go ahead into 2014.

That is most unlikely. No mention of it in the recent Four-Year Plan or budget, both of which were pretty specific about what would go ahead into 2014.

Oh i know. id love to know where 96FM got their source. Although Neil Prendeville has a good bit of pull these days he might know someone willing to lend him a hand when it comes to information about road projects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I remember someone from Buttevant posting (possibly in this thread ??) and as the road south from there is utterly cack I advised them to go for a limited movement junction ( inbound south outbound north) to an R road east of the town...I thought they had plenty of choice northbound towards Charleville and further afield.

I still feel that would be proportionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I always wonder how much money they actually save building half junctions. They just seem like the most pointless things ever, where people living near it can go south easily say, but have to drive 20km on the old road to go north on it.

Just seems silly, if you're building a junction you may as well build the whole thing. Cant cost **that** much more (proportionately) than a half junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

Hogzy wrote: »
    Although Neil Prendeville has a good bit of pull these days he might know someone willing to lend him a hand......

Cough cough! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I always wonder how much money they actually save building half junctions. They just seem like the most pointless things ever, where people living near it can go south easily say, but have to drive 20km on the old road to go north on it.

Just seems silly, if you're building a junction you may as well build the whole thing. Cant cost **that** much more (proportionately) than a half junction.

I know its like them god damm LILOS.

KerranJast wrote: »
    The parents place is in Kanturk so selfishly I'd love Buttevant to have a junction so I wouldn't have to drive to Charleville or Mallow to get on the Mway for Limerick/Cork respectively, but if its going to be cost prohibitive and delay the road even further then it not high priority tbh.

The road from kanturk to both Charleville and mallow is better than that to Buttevant IMHO. The one benefit surely this will bring is to move the charleville junction (which is a good bit south of the townand quite close to any likely Buttevant Junc) to the north of it where it will be more conveniant from Kanturk et al.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

At the outset, I should say that on the whole I am not in favour of a junction for Buttevant....it might set a precedent for every backwater to fight for a junction when a motorway is proposed nearby.

Furet, you are one brave hombre!

How can you suggest Buttevant is a backwater?:eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement