Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There are few duller and more uninteresting towns out there. Having a bypass will probably increase the morale of the entire Cork - Limerick corridor because that town is DEPRESSING :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it is the one place I have EVER seen a handpainted ad for Coca Cola which states "Coke A Cola is it"...lasty time I looked its was still there although the shop (perhaps not surprisingly) is now derelict

And they had a big Shrek poster in the playground you could see from the road, with donkey and Shrek (complete with creepy smiles) saying "Lets do it for the kids".

Someone had changed it to "Lets do the kids". It was like that for 6 months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Drove from north Mayo to a sattellite town outside Cork over Christmas. First time using new Gort/Crusheen road. 190 miles - 3 hours 45 minutes door to door. It's probably fair to say that another 15 minutes will be knocked off when the Gort/Tuam road is finished. By far the longest and most hazardous section was Limerick to Cork after the Croom bypass.

Assuming the good people of Buttevant get their junction and APB approval follows, I can't understand this vital piece of infastructure can be dropped off the PPP list until 2015. It defies logic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

What is this - the "hate Buttevent" thread? :eek:

I feel outraged on behalf of the stout burghers of that wee town. :mad:

I drove the rather deplorable Limerick-Cork road many times so I'm sure I've been in Buttevent...just I have no recollections of it atall atall.

So it can't be that bad if you've ever seen Ahascragh.

• Advertisement

Wild Bill wrote: »
    .just I have no recollections of it atall atall.

Its so bad you've blocked it out :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It has a rather tall and elegant main street, especially compared to Ahascragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

corktina wrote: »
    it is the one place I have EVER seen a handpainted ad for Coca Cola which states "Coke A Cola is it"...lasty time I looked its was still there although the shop (perhaps not surprisingly) is now derelict

ha ha first time i saw that, i had to take a picture...Its the first thing i think of when i hear of buttevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It has a rather tall and elegant main street, especially compared to Ahascragh

Like most villages in North Cork, they had large growing populations with good food supplies in the early 1800's. Kanturk is another example of this, but the famine/genocide ruined it. Buttevant was the main town in that area before the railway was built, Mallow Junction overtook it..If history was different im sure there would be a very large population in these areas now..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think that there are few negative consequences to having such a junction built. I don't think construction delays could result, and the extra cost of a junction couldn't be exorbitant when it will help ensure that the likes of Buttevant can hold its own with employment generation and planning which keeps housing in more central village locations. Though I don't want to go into the pros and cons of one-off housing here:)

20km between junctions also seems rather arduous for a stretch that passes through populated land, albeit somewhat lightly populated. I think if the costs are small then they should give a junction the go-ahead.

This is speaking as someone who livs near a half junction and would have liked a full junction:D

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    Like most villages in North Cork, they had large growing populations with good food supplies in the early 1800's. Kanturk is another example of this, but the famine/genocide ruined it. Buttevant was the main town in that area before the railway was built, Mallow Junction overtook it..If history was different im sure there would be a very large population in these areas now..

hugely off topic but I think Kanturk still is the main town of Duhallow and we now have Indian Italian and Chinese food available, so that must be progress.Everday I see the wall built in front of my house during the famine and the old railway line behind it to remind me of former glories.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Newmarket would probably want to challenge that, but I don't know the area well enough to know which is actually bigger/more important. I only know Kanturk from driving through it and having surreally had an O'Callaghan's tax disc holder on my old windscreen....

Newmarket? wheres that?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

MYOB wrote: »
    Newmarket would probably want to challenge that, but I don't know the area well enough to know which is actually bigger/more important. I only know Kanturk from driving through it and having surreally had an O'Callaghan's tax disc holder on my old windscreen....

All thats in Newmarket is bad drivers and a overpriced VAG dealership..:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

charlemont wrote: »

Buttevant was once a walled town, thanks mainly to the influence of the Barry family from whose war cry "Boutez-en-avant" (Push forward)the town derived its name.
    The military garrison,now the GAA grounds, made the town a good trading town. Horses from the famous Cahirmee fair were regularly sent to Britian to be used by the military.

imho Buttevant is a shadow of its former self.... small beer nowadays. When i first knew it 20 odd years back, it was bigger with more shops etc but now seems to have only one grocery shop (and thats only a Centra now rather than the Supervalu it used to be.)

Kanturk is far bigger but you dont hear me looking for a dual carriageway to the M20!...we dont even have an N road!

A campaign for a Railway Station would be more sensisble IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Kanturk is far bigger but you dont hear me looking for a dual carriageway to the M20!...we dont even have an N road!

A campaign for a Railway Station would be more sensisble IMHO

Well it aint that far from the N72 though is it? Also the regional rd R576 is one of the better ones around especially from the N72 to as far as Newmarket. The profile is narrower from Newmarket to Rockchapel to the N21. I'm glad its that good or otherwise I wouldnt get to Cork that quick from my hometown on the Kerry side of the R576!

As for buttervant having it's own junction, I think a junction is not warranted given the low population around that area. We cant have junctions for every little village off a motorway.

All this talk of Buttevant is making me think of Soupy Norman...

261oo7t.jpg

Spiny Norman do you mean?:D

tech2 wrote: »
    Well it aint that far from the N72 though is it? Also the regional rd R576 is one of the better ones around especially from the N72 to as far as Newmarket. The profile is narrower from Newmarket to Rockchapel to the N21. I'm glad its that good or otherwise I wouldnt get to Cork that quick from my hometown on the Kerry side of the R576!

As for buttervant having it's own junction, I think a junction is not warranted given the low population around that area. We cant have junctions for every little village off a motorway.

R576 covered in snow tonight....(outside my gate)

• Advertisement

261oo7t.jpg

Spiny Norman do you mean?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Okay, can we stay on topic please!

This is speaking as someone who livs near a half junction and would have liked a full junction:D

Half a junction is better than no road! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I can't begrudge the people of Buttevent their junction - we all want our own place to prosper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Half a junction is better than no road! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I can't begrudge the people of Buttevent their junction - we all want our own place to prosper.

Of course it's better than no road?! I never said otherwise and my point was clearly that people can be IMBY about something no matter how trivial it may seem.

IMBY about something no matter how trivial it may seem.

Better IMBY than NIMBY. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Does anyone know if ABP have reached a decision on this important piece of infrastructure. I thought end of Jan was decision time.

With the Government shagged I guess the Dept of Finance is calling all the shots right now.

So all spending is frozen.

They close the stable door after they let the horse bolt it seems.

Sack them all. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

How about you Tremelo. Have you heard anything?
    Government or not , the enquiry should still reach a conclusion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I will call tomorrow if I think of it. I don't think the delay has anything whatsoever to do with the election...most likely the inspector still hasn't completed his report.

With the prospect of a Carrigaline man being the next Minister for Transport, I think the M20's future is secure (and the N28 is a shoo-in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Tremelo wrote: »
    With the prospect of a Carrigaline man being the next Minister for Transport, I think the M20's future is secure (and the N28 is a shoo-in).

Trying to leave my bias hat at the door but i really do think Cork deserves a minister for transport from the area ;). IMO Cork has been on the short end of the stick over the last few years in regards upgrading. The M8, the Kinsale Road Roundabout and the Ballincollig bypass are the only major upgrades in the last 10yrs.

Advertisement