Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options
1275276277278279281»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Wait what? No, the M2 was always to go to Coleraine. The M23 was supposed to go to Derry. The Ballymena bypass got built before the UK government scrapped the plans.

I've gone off topic too much now, so I'll get back to the M20 in the south. Yes, toll it, whatever, just build it. And get the North Ring into play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I suppose Cork and Limerick are the only two urban areas that have the geography to support a full ring and it looks like Cork might get there first (I've not heard anything about a north Limerick ring road). All other inland towns are a bit too small to justify anything other than a bypass. Some kind of come close accidentally, like Citywest/Tallaght. Kells looks quite close too just based on how the roads split there.

Oh just checked and Dundalk has a full ring. Part goes through the eastern side of the town but the N40 goes through the southside of Cork so I think it has to be counted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Kilkenny might be a bit closer to having a full ring road albeit single carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,611 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Phase II of the Limerick ring road which would link Moyross to UL is dead for now.

In the short term the Greens don't want it and in the long term it would face huge opposition from locals on the route and some Limerick politicians who are not happy about UL's expansions on the Clare side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,456 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think a link from Coonagh to Pleassy is planned for Limerick which might provide a complete ring around Limerick city

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Sadly not. The first 2.2km section (Coonagh to Knockalisheen) of what was to be the Limerick Northern Distributor Road was spun off into a separate project with the stated aim of opening up access to Moyross. That started construction in 2021 after a failed attempt by the idiot Ryan to block it. Unfortunately the contractor (Roadbridge RIP) went into receivership in March 2022 and it remains in a half completed state. Despite various claims that construction would restart in Spring 2024 nothing has happened. Ryan made a statement a few weeks back in the Dail saying that tenders are still being assessed. The remainder of the LNDR was binned by Ryan in 2022 when he instructed the NTA to drop it, so as of not nothing is planned to link Knockalisheen to Pleassy.

Full discussion here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Back on topic to the M20…..

The next thing happening is two webinars hosted by the project team, on Wednesday next 3rd July and Wednesday 10th July. Having participated in these in the past I can say the project team are open and honest in dealing with questions, communicate in plain English and don't attempt to skirt or avoid the tough questions. Definitely worth joining in if you have an hour to spare. Questions must be submitted in advance to info@corklimerick.ie - mark them as "M20 Webinar Questions"

Public online webinars will be hosted by the project team at 7pm on the 3rd July and the 10th July, with login details provided below.

Public Online Webinar – Wednesday  3rdJuly 2024 at 7pm (link below)

N/M20 Cork to Limerick Project Update Webinar 03-07-2024

Public Online Webinar – Wednesday 10th July 2024 at 7pm (link below)

N/M20 Cork to Limerick Project Update Webinar 10-07-2024

Property owners will be notified by post and invited to consult with the project team, either in person in Limerick or Mallow, or by online or telephone meetings. For further information contact the project office at info@corklimerick.ie or telephone (061) 973730.

And even if you can't participate, if you have any questions please submit them to the project office at info@corklimerick.ie

Full details here: https://corklimerick.ie/project-update-on-24th-june-2024-17-06-2024/

June 2024 Update here: https://corklimerick.ie/june-2024-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

They've really have put in the work on this one. It's a credit to the NTA / Midwest Road Design office in Limerick.

Post edited by Pman on

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Pman

In addition, the road safety argument has not been backed up by data in the reports. In fact there's nothing in the literature regarding detail on traffic accident trends or category analysis.

Post edited by Pman on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

If you're looking for justification of a previously held belief, you can always find "research" that backs it up.

(Although, if you did want to discuss it, you could post a link and we can discuss it).

But 80 km/h? Go try that on the current N20. If you can maintain it without flinching, consider rallying.

We're well used to trolls on here. Your effort is about a 5/10. Thanks for dropping by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,456 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You are waffling. From Buttervant , through the Ballybeg bends, Mallow on through Ballyvolane and into Rathduff us one of the poorest stretches of road in the country. The distance from Limerick to Cork is 55 miles and it takes about an hour and a half to cover that distance whenever there is a bit of traffic on that road. Average speeds would be as low as 60km/hour.

0n the economic benefit people already from Linerick go to Dublin or Kikdare village rather than shop in Cork. The big plus for Limerick is it will be the central location for a population base of a million plus when this road is build.

And the economic benefits are not just for the three cities but the towns such Ennis, Mallow, Charlesville. Team will be two hours from Cork City, compared to 15 years agonit was neatly 5 hours.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Just dropping by with a "sustainable" slant on this: the improvements for all modes of transport on the corridor (but particularly sustainable modes) will also allow more sustainable development of towns on the corridor, where town growth and inhabitant quality of life is generally limited by the current N20. Not to mention the associated improvement to quality of life in Hospital, Ballylanders, Caherconlish etc. No M20 also means no improved road link to P&R stations and in some cases no P&R (bus) locations at all.

Could it have more sustainable infrastructure? Yes, some on here have pointed out some of the gaps.

But is it one of the best motorway schemes I've seen in Ireland from a sustainability perspective? I think yes. Dublin Port Tunnel is all I can think of that beats it.

Advertisement