Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Not a hope of this going ahead. Nothing but an election ploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It baffles me, issue a bond for €1 billion at less than 2% interest and be done with it.
    What I derive from the article is that Pascwal wemains steadfastly opposed to the woads pwojects in the Cowk awea, with the exception of the M28 which the EU are demanding.

just because we can currently borrow cheaply, doesn't mean we are allowed to. We have a huge existing debt and have to stick to Eurozone guidelines. Nice work ridiculing his speech BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

It baffles me, issue a bond for €1 billion at less than 2% interest and be done with it.
    What I derive from the article is that Pascwal wemains steadfastly opposed to the woads pwojects in the Cowk awea, with the exception of the M28 which the EU are demanding.
    No need for that messing... its not like the man can help it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

irishfeen wrote: »

Well he could commit to restarting planning and all that kind of jazz for the M20, even if it was all systems go from tomorrow the €1 billion needed to build the road won't be required until 4-5 years. We won't have an M20 until more like 2025. The funding for getting the planning and all that legwork done is most certainly not going to contravene any rules on EU rules because it's so cheap to do.

The Echo article is certainly more positive about doing something for Cork and this badly needed motorway than anything before, but let's wait and see what the soon to be announced roads investment programme has to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

marno21 wrote: »
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/minister-examining-road-projects-for-funds/

Nice to see the Echo regularly covering these issues regardless of the amount of fluff and bluster coming from the Minister

Where did that photo-montage of the Dunkettle junction come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Infracted. Please acquaint yourself with the forum charter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Where did that photo-montage of the Dunkettle junction come from?
    They have it designed ages at this stage.

spacetweek wrote: »
    They have it designed ages at this stage.

Thanks! - but I was kinda hoping for a link ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Thanks! - but I was kinda hoping for a link ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055546082

from page 15

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

This article is front page of the Limerick Post today.

"AN AUSTRIAN civil engineer has submitted a proposal to the Department of Transport to build the long-awaited M20 motorway linking Limerick and Cork through an alternative public-private partnership (PPP) scheme that would not involve any initial costs to the State."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

kevin7 wrote: »

"AN AUSTRIAN civil engineer has submitted a proposal to the Department of Transport to build the long-awaited M20 motorway linking Limerick and Cork through an alternative public-private partnership (PPP) scheme that would not involve any initial costs to the State."

Would Senator Heffernan be running in the general election by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Tomorrow in the examiner , Croatian engineering firm submits proposals to build M20.

touts wrote: »
    Would Senator Heffernan be running in the general election by any chance?

Dunno, but which road project do the posters here reckon is more important (don't say "both" I'm looking for the priority ranking) -

The M28 + Dunkettle junction or the M20?

It seems to me that it is the former.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Dunno, but which road project do the posters here reckon is more important (don't say "both" I'm looking for the priority ranking) -

The M28 + Dunkettle junction or the M20?

It seems to me that it is the former.

Depends which end of the N20 you live. Limerick end and you want the M20, Cork end and you want Dunkettle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Depends which end of the N20 you live. Limerick end and you want the M20, Cork end and you want Dunkettle.
    The benefits that would result from the M28 would generate enough money for the M20.

How the Cork politicians haven't delivered an M28 + Dunkettle yet the JHR got 2 bypasses in Co. Kerry is astounding

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Just checking that everyone is aware that what is described there is completely illegal? EU rules prohibit gov contracts from being assigned without an auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

irishfeen wrote: »

Just saw this:

Paschal Donohoe theems to thpeak alright to me!

Daffy Duck,
    Burbank, California

yet the JHR got 2 bypasses in Co. Kerry is astounding
    Yes and during the recession too!

The benefits that would result from the M28 would generate enough money for the M20.

How the Cork politicians haven't delivered an M28 + Dunkettle yet the JHR got 2 bypasses in Co. Kerry is astounding

I don't think the cost of M28+ would have been doable when JHR got the (badly needed) Kerry roads, to be fair.

Though the M18 Ennis-Gort was started in the same period, so who knows? :confused:

spacetweek wrote: »
    Just checking that everyone is aware that what is described there is completely illegal? EU rules prohibit gov contracts from being assigned without an auction.

I predict a scathing press release before the election from Senator Heffernan complaining about EU regulation blocking his work to get the M20 built.

• Advertisement

I predict a scathing press release before the election from Senator Heffernan complaining about EU regulation blocking his work to get the M20 built.

So, Senator Heffernan has campaigned for us to exit the EU????

So, Senator Heffernan has campaigned for us to exit the EU????

No. But he just promised the impossible and I am predicting that in a few months he will blame the EU for the impossible not coming about. It's about him getting front page headlines before the election. And I'll bet he won't be the only politician promising the M20 if only the people vote for him.

No. But he just promised the impossible and I am predicting that in a few months he will blame the EU for the impossible not coming about. It's about him getting front page headlines before the election. And I'll bet he won't be the only politician promising the M20 if only the people vote for him.

I wonder what the forthcoming roads and infrastructure programme will contain, perhaps it will say something about the M20 (not that I'm getting my hopes up, especially as the talk in the Examiner is about the N72 Mallow relief road). It would also have the advantage for the Government of them announcing something plus the fact that this Senator is ex-Labour and resigned from the party a few years ago (over what I have no idea) so they don't really want to be helping out former members above all else.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I wonder what the forthcoming roads and infrastructure programme will contain, perhaps it will say something about the M20 (not that I'm getting my hopes up, especially as the talk in the Examiner is about the N72 Mallow relief road). It would also have the advantage for the Government of them announcing something plus the fact that this Senator is ex-Labour and resigned from the party a few years ago (over what I have no idea) so they don't really want to be helping out former members above all else.

Ideally a Cork centric programme. (M28/Dunkettle at least, N22 + M20/M40 hopefully)

Time for the roads out of Cork to look more like the roads out of Dublin rather than the steaming piles of shíte most of them are.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

betistuc wrote: »
    Just saw this:

Paschal Donohoe theems to thpeak alright to me!

Daffy Duck,
    Burbank, California
    Abusing someone because of a speech impediment is not acceptable.

Ireland's answer to 'national interurban primary route'

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/620247681923969024

No different to the past few months. The roadworks in Buttevant were an absolute disaster.

If you're near the Dunkettle Interchange/South Ring Road it's faster to go to Limerick via Mitchelstown, and with Dunkettle highly likely to be made free-flow as part of the roads programme that's due to be announced soon, that advantage will only increase.

No different to the past few months. The roadworks in Buttevant were an absolute disaster.

If you're near the Dunkettle Interchange/South Ring Road it's faster to go to Limerick via Mitchelstown, and with Dunkettle highly likely to be made free-flow as part of the roads programme that's due to be announced soon, that advantage will only increase.
    Even when going to UCC I use the M8 and R513. I'm young enough to have hair and I don't want to lose it all by having to pull it out suffering the frustration of the present N20. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Ireland's answer to 'national interurban primary route'

https://twitter.com/aaroadwatch/status/620247681923969024

Let's make that trip even longer......(we should aim for 4 hours between Mallow and Dooradoyle)

It is ridiculous.....Is there TD from Limerick feeling this pain - or are all concerns focussed on the Limerick to Dublin Road?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Could the delay on the M20 have anything to do with tolling? If the M20 is built people from Cork can travel to Dublin via Limerick and avoid the toll at Watergrasshill. Also, people usng the R513/M8 route would switch back to the M20 meaning less tolls at Watergrasshill again. Would the government encur some penalty if tolling numbers drop at Watergrasshill?

i know this is pie in the sky stuff but it just occurred to me.

Advertisement