Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The politics thread is that way ====>>>>

If there is a problem with a post / thread, please report it to the moderators.

this discussion can happen on the Roads forum, but is misplaced on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

jgbyr wrote: »
    www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/motorists-face-30km-detour-to-avoid-cork-limerick-route-delays-360421.html

Hi there....what is the route through Mitchelstown? Am hoping to go west on Friday, but don't fancy the long queue. My sense of direction leaves a lot to be desired, but would be so grateful of any help.....thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Hi there....what is the route through Mitchelstown? Am hoping to go west on Friday, but don't fancy the long queue. My sense of direction leaves a lot to be desired, but would be so grateful of any help.....thanks!

I don't know personally the road from Cork, but if you go through the town there's a roundabout alongside the Firgrove hotel & I believe Limerick is signposted there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

R513

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You dont go through M'stown but past it. Used it twice not so long ago and very pleasant drive compared with N20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Go to the AA Routemap planner site and type in Cork to Limerick and you will see that it tells you to take the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Mc Love wrote: »
    You dont go through M'stown but past it. Used it twice not so long ago and very pleasant drive compared with N20

+1 I gave up on the N20 a good while back. You may still get stuck behind something slow but at least you're very rarely stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

mikeym wrote: »
    Go to the AA Routemap planner site and type in Cork to Limerick and you will see that it tells you to take the M8.

Not for me anyway. Tells me to take the M20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Hogzy wrote: »

See what happens if you are driving from anywhere on the south side of the city. Enter Carrigaline for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

M8 and via Mitchelstown is definitely the best option for anyone near the N40. Took us a while to realise it, but we'd only go the other way late at night when you know there isn't going to be a problem with traffic (going via the N20 is shorter after all). Mitchelstown-Limerick isn't great in terms of the quality of the road, but it's usually not too busy so you can make good progress on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hogzy wrote: »

Use Google Maps - when its quiet it tells you to take the N20 but when its busy it tells you to go via Michelstown and the M8 as google displays traffic based on how long people are stopped, by tracking your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mc Love wrote: »
    Use Google Maps - when its quiet it tells you to take the N20 but when its busy it tells you to go via Michelstown and the M8 as google displays traffic based on how long people are stopped, by tracking your phone

Another reason for the motorway to be built is for the small towns along this route once cars divert off the M8 after Mitchelstown, i.e. Hospital & Caherconlish.

They are turning into traffic blackspots, especially with the opening of the Aldi distribution centre in Mitchelstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

What's the difference in kms, between the two ways?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

What's the difference in kms, between the two ways?

It depends on where you are coming from and going to.. Castletroy to Douglas would be quicker via the M8 but Dooradoyle to Blarney would be much longer going via the M8

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

Noticed in the news today that AIB are intending to start paying back some of the €21 billion that the Government/taxpayer No doubt it's important to pay back some of the national debt and some of this money will be used for that purpose. I'd ask any interested parties to email their local senior government politicians along the Atlantic corridor and lobby them strongly to use some of the money to pledge to start the planning and tender process immediately for the M20. It is beyond the doubt the worst and most dangerous stretch of national primary route in the country and has to be improved.

I'll be sending an email today to anyone I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Noticed in the news today that AIB are intending to start paying back some of the €21 billion that the Government/taxpayer No doubt it's important to pay back some of the national debt and some of this money will be used for that purpose. I'd ask any interested parties to email their local senior government politicians along the Atlantic corridor and lobby them strongly to use some of the money to pledge to start the planning and tender process immediately for the M20. It is beyond the doubt the worst and most dangerous stretch of national primary route in the country and has to be improved.

I'll be sending an email today to anyone I can think of.

That was mentioned on one of the radio shows. There is an agreement that it will all go to pay off some of the debt to Europe. So unfortunately this looks to already be earmarked for roads in Bavaria and schools in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭cgcsb

2030 would be a great turnaround for such a large motorway, really only 14 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

cgcsb wrote: »
    2030 would be a great turnaround for such a large motorway, really only 14 years time.

It says it won't be completed until after then though, 15 years is also not the best turnaround either IMO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It was included in a PPP programme in 2009 which said it would open in 2015.

2030 is 15 years away. Look at all the motorway building that went on in the past 15 years, the M20 if done would be a small proportion of that. Not sure why it can't be done sooner.

One thing that needs to happen is the project needs to be reconfigured. The old plan of M20 North + N21 Adare bypass and M20 south / N40 North Ring has to be scrapped. Something more like the N18 (Newmarket-on Fergus bypass, Ennis bypass, Crusheen-Gort, Gort-M6) has a better chance of getting off the ground.

Hopefully they see sense and put in a junction for the R515 as well. If Barefield can get one I don't see why Kanturk/Newmarket can't get one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The whole transport budget has been orientated towards more rural concerns a la classic FG. The M20 and Dublin Rail projects get nothing yet we'll be spending billions on mortorways to Tuam, New Ross and road improvements in County Mayo. Th allocation of funds is not based on actual need, if that were the case 100% of the budget would have gone to getting DARTunderground open as soon as possible. The money goes to appease FG heartlands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

The money goes to appease FG heartlands.

Then stop voting FG :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Then stop voting FG :cool:

It'll go to FF heartlands, or uncosted wealth redistribution schemes that'll fail otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

L1011 wrote: »
    It'll go to FF heartlands, or uncosted wealth redistribution schemes that'll fail otherwise.

I'd have thought Gort - Tuam was as much FF heartland as FG heartland....and Cork - Limerick sure ain't SF or AAA heartland! ;)

Wexford is Howlin country...lucky them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Labour had 18 seats in Dublin after the last election Fine Gael 17... The top two parties in Dublin. We need a list system in Ireland and stronger local government.

Whatever way you look at it, the people of Ireland have let them do this for 93 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

touts wrote: »
    That was mentioned on one of the radio shows. There is an agreement that it will all go to pay off some of the debt to Europe. So unfortunately this looks to already be earmarked for roads in Bavaria and schools in Berlin.

The 'debt to Europe' isn't just solely a German affair. And Irish government debts aren't largely owed to 'Europe' (I presume you mean to the EU). They're largely owed to private companies. Most of them were incurred to pay for public services, only a minority of Irish sovereign debt was incurred to bail out Irish banks and, as the AIB story shows, that money is being repaid.

Although the money that was poured into the Anglo-Irish hole will never be recovered. Thanks Fianna Fáil - you'll be never be forgiven for that one assh*les. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The whole transport budget has been orientated towards more rural concerns a la classic FG. The M20 and Dublin Rail projects get nothing yet we'll be spending billions on mortorways to Tuam, New Ross and road improvements in County Mayo. Th allocation of funds is not based on actual need, if that were the case 100% of the budget would have gone to getting DARTunderground open as soon as possible. The money goes to appease FG heartlands.

I'm sick of this crap about a motorway to Tuam. The M17 is a small part of a road route that connects Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo and Derry, along with Shannon Airport, Knock Airport, Ennis and Letterkenny.

It's not a bloody motorway to Tuam anymore than the M20 would be a motorway to Mallow.

Likewise the New Ross bypass is part of a route that connects Rosslare, still a major port whether you like it or not, to Cork, Waterford and Limerick.

In case you hadn't noticed, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Sligo and Derry are all important urban centres on the island of Ireland.

Any improvements to roads connecting those centres to each other and to major ports and airports are to be welcomed no matter which government is in office when they're built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'm sick of this crap about a motorway to Tuam. The M17 is a small part of a road route that connects Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo and Derry, along with Shannon Airport, Knock Airport, Ennis and Letterkenny.

It's not a bloody motorway to Tuam anymore than the M20 would be a motorway to Mallow.

Likewise the New Ross bypass is part of a route that connects Rosslare, still a major port whether you like it or not, to Cork, Waterford and Limerick.

In case you hadn't noticed, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Sligo and Derry are all important urban centres on the island of Ireland.

Any improvements to roads connecting those centres to each other and to major ports and airports are to be welcomed no matter which government is in office when they're built.

Well said, it is a tiresome and inaccurate opinion... And so so boring and repetitive.

Advertisement