Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

This post has been deleted.

Here's an interesting thing though: almost everyone on this thread seems to have the same opinion, few people need to be persuaded of the importance of this road....I know we're not supposed to talk about politics, but what on earth will it take for this road to be built?

Is it going to take another Buttevant train disaster type watershed (where CIE quickly reached a decision and bought a new fleet)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Necks on the line - predict what the future holds for this road

My thinking is that with the current political imbalance, and the fact that Fianna Fail are going to have a large say in the next government (whenever that will be!), this road will gain approval in 2017 given the current improvement in government spending money. This may seem optimistic, but there is more and more noise being made by various people and organisations in Limerick/Cork, added to the fact that the leader of Fianna Fail had said this was a priority, and it can't hurt that he is a Corkman.

Built by 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Here's an interesting thing though: almost everyone on this thread seems to have the same opinion, few people need to be persuaded of the importance of this road....I know we're not supposed to talk about politics, but what on earth will it take for this road to be built?

Is it going to take another Buttevant train disaster type watershed (where CIE quickly reached a decision and bought a new fleet)?

Try starting a thread on the politics forum. There you might get some differing opinions, and maybe some attention from the politicos you want to persuade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Rumour has it that if Big swinging Mickey gets elected to be Taoiseach, The transport projects will be going ahead like the M20... As the Government should be applying for an Intercity Motorway funding from the European Union
    Does anyone know if the N69 will be downgraded once the Foynes link road will be tied into the N21?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Yes the existing N69 from Limerick city to Foynes will be re-classified as a regional or local route once the new road is in place. The future N69 will begin at the interchange with the M/N21 near Rathkeale.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

The NTMA borrowed €750m today on a 10 year bond at 0.8% Surely the economic benefit to the economy in all the ways previously pointed out in this thread make a no brainer to borrow for this project now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

medoc wrote: »
    The NTMA borrowed €750m today on a 10 year bond at 0.8% Surely the economic benefit to the economy in all the ways previously pointed out in this thread make a no brainer to borrow for this project now.
    according to the examiner, the cost benefit factor is 2:1 , so if thats true it will indeed pay for itsself
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/proposed-cork-limerick-m20-motorwaywould-pay-off-for-state-376560.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I live in Louth and have never travelled on this particular stretch of road. I think a road between Cork and Limerick should be motorway standard. (The road between Dundalk and Newry is not a motorway but is motorway standard - speed limit is 120 as motorway- as there is more entries and exits than you would have on a motorway). If you are going to upgrade/build a new road do it right. Anyone ever look at those photos of the Brooklyn Bridge and not be impressed by the foresight displayed by the planners/designers of the bridge. if you do it right it will pay for itself, if you do it wrong you (future generations) will pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I absolutely agree with everyone's assessment of the M20 - but I'd really put the N24 Pallasgreen-Cahir right up there too. Shocking isn't the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

medoc wrote:

France sold 20 & 50 year bonds today aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

paul2013 wrote: »
    Rumour has it that if Big swinging Mickey gets elected to be Taoiseach, The transport projects will be going ahead like the M20... As the Government should be applying for an Intercity Motorway funding from the European Union
    Does anyone know if the N69 will be downgraded once the Foynes link road will be tied into the N21?

I wouldn't think the M20 will come into it, unfortunately. It's far more likely to be down to spending on a particular area, water, taxation etc. In other words, the major issues. They won't go into minutiae like a specific roads project. Willing to be proven wrong of course, because the outgoing Government's refusal to even advance the planning permission of this road was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

So, 153 pages in on boards...........(without speculation/proof/plans etc...) we are back are square 1! Only a very dangerous road - and nobody gives a crap!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In fairness, there has been plans in the past but they were scrapped from the 2009 PPP tranche in favour of the N6 Galway City Outer bypass (great call)

Hopefully we will see movement this side of 2020.

Notice also that Cork City FC seem to be using the M8/R513 for away games on the western seaboard (Galway United today). Should say enough about the N20.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

However, as part of its work on the proposed Mallow Relief Road, Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) is examining whether the Mallow project can be progressed in such a way that it facilitates the development of the M20 in phases. If work on that project and additional studies show that a phased approach is feasible, it could be considered as part of the planned mid-term review of the Capital Plan. In the meantime, TII will be funding feasibility studies on a phased development this year.

Make of it what you wish.

marno21 wrote: »
    Make of it what you wish.

Where's that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Producer Ben

Anyone know what Shane Ross will be like for this project? At least Pascal has moved on

Anyone know what Shane Ross will be like for this project? At least Pascal has moved on
    At a guess a large shipment of mothballs will be received at the DTTAS next week for this scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I'll be on the pension and this damn thing won't be built.

Currently in my early 30's. So that's another 30 years minimum in my opinion.

Travelled to Limerick last week and i hate the ****e road but the trip was necessary.

A plan to bypass mallow is also in the pipeline so that says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

Hard to know. It depends what he thinks the readers of the Sunday Indo would like most and that will probably change from week to week. Someone dies in a crash on it next Sunday his story will be "It is essential that the M20 motorway is build as the priority". A week later there is a massive jam on the M50 and that Sunday the story will be "It is essential that the M50 upgrade is the priority". A week later the Luas goes on all out strike and the following Sunday the story will be "It is essential that the Luas is the priority for investment".

In short I don't think Shane Ross really gives a hoot about the M20. He'll react to the headlines and nothing will get done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    At a guess a large shipment of mothballs will be received at the DTTAS next week for this scheme.
    I swear if this yoke doesn't get back on track by next year then a shower of monkeys are running the place.

spacetweek wrote: »
    I swear if this yoke doesn't get back on track by next year then a shower of monkeys are running the place.
    As someone who drives it 3/4 times a week I just accept the fact that it'll permanently be ****e and I'll just have to put up with it.

When the M21 opens I'll switch to using that route for getting to Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Was it mentioned in the programme/framework for government? If it wasn't, and the WRC was, forget it. :-(

jd wrote: »
    Was it mentioned in the programme/framework for government? If it wasn't, and the WRC was, forget it. :-(
    Where is this programme for government viewable please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

marno21 wrote:
    Where is this programme for government viewable please?

Aka whatever was agreed with the indos..

Do Fianna Fáil not have a say in the policies of this government also? If MM doesn't push for this road like he said he would, then I have lost all faith in this country.

I drove this road for 8 months 5 times a day and it did wear me down. As someone working and now living in Limerick, my dream is to move back down to Cork and keep my current job. The commute on that road would make it dreadful, but if I knew a motorway was coming it would make it possible. It's the hope that these muppets in charge will see sense that kills you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Do Fianna Fáil not have a say in the policies of this government also? If MM doesn't push for this road like he said he would, then I have lost all faith in this country.

I drove this road for 8 months 5 times a day and it did wear me down. As someone working and now living in Limerick, my dream is to move back down to Cork and keep my current job. The commute on that road would make it dreadful, but if I knew a motorway was coming it would make it possible. It's the hope that these muppets in charge will see sense that kills you

I very much doubt it. The FF-FG agreement only covers outlines on stuff like taxation, housing, water etc. The most MM can do is make an issue of it in the Dáil, FF is after all an opposition party and the new Dáil is meant to be much more accountable than the old one.

I don't know how much interest Lord Ross will have in it, he's certainly written a LOT on CIÉ over the years but I don't know how interested he would be on stuff like roads or the M20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    The commute on that road would make it dreadful, but if I knew a motorway was coming it would make it possible.

Would you seriously consider commuting around 100km each way every day (I'm assuming you mean from city of Cork to city of Limerick)? That's insane, even with motorway. Not worth the stress, fuel, CO2 emission and time.

Advertisement