Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They are in numerical order.

Well, that's quite obivous to be fair.

Still, its difficult to find a certain post number, it takes alot of guessing and page searching, very offputting for potential posters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Well, that's quite obivous to be fair.

Still, its difficult to find a certain post number, it takes alot of guessing and page searching, very offputting for potential posters.

Fixed it for you post and now page number in title.

Fixed it for you post and now page number in title.

Fair enough, that works :)
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I had a blowout yesterday on the section of road being done at Buttevant.
    There are now raised square manhole covers and steep short unmarked ramps (to bring vehicles between the various levels) within Buttevant. I also hadn't realised how significant the slowdowns were, south of Mallow, due to the ongoing work.

I'd urge anyone yet to be convinced of the need for the M20, to try driving between the two cities. It's a pretty difficult/tiring journey, in its current format.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/e1bn-motorway-u-turn/2197101/

Also in the Echo. Hopefully Simon Coveney pushes it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

This is probably the most positive news received on this project in a long time - a senior minister (and possible future leader of the country) speaking about the need for this road. It will be interesting to see what they actually do come out with in the Capital Investment Plan review next year - when is this scheduled to take place?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    This is probably the most positive news received on this project in a long time - a senior minister (and possible future leader of the country) speaking about the need for this road. It will be interesting to see what they actually do come out with in the Capital Investment Plan review next year - when is this scheduled to take place?
    Especially considering the fact that it's not in the lead up to an election.

He's right too that the three of Dunkettle + M28 + Macroom were better to get ahead so the next invesment can concentrate on the M20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

You'd think with Noonan being the senior government minister in Limerick he'd also want this also.

I've never heard him publicly speak on it.

Paschal Donohoe though is in public expenditure now so can he still block it???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I would reckon 2025 at the earliest before this road is open, if it goes to planning by 2018.
    The earliest estimate for the M28 is 2023 which is just off display and a much shorter route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The earliest estimate for the M28 is 2023 which is just off display and a much shorter route.
    M28 is scheduled to open in 2021 last we heard.

spacetweek wrote: »
    M28 is scheduled to open in 2021 last we heard.
    2023 was the last estimated date for the opening of the M21. Maybe that's what he's thinking of.

M28 could be done by 2020 if there aren't any ignorant people objecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That does sound like good news. I doubt Coveney would say something like that for no good reason - it's definitely not his style to say stuff about Cork unless there's a very strong chance of it happening. It's a noticeable change in language from what was being said before the election as well.

No doubt the fact that it is (thankfully) part of TEN-T means it has to be bumped up the priority list.

Even if the planning permission was given tomorrow, we'd still be waiting until 2025, but once the roadblock to getting it going again is removed (which will hopefully be next year as the Minister has indicated), progress can then begin! I'm just dreaming of the day when I can get from Cork to Limerick in only an hour no mater what time of day it is.

That does sound like good news. I doubt Coveney would say something like that for no good reason - it's definitely not his style to say stuff about Cork unless there's a very strong chance of it happening. It's a noticeable change in language from what was being said before the election as well.

No doubt the fact that it is (thankfully) part of TEN-T means it has to be bumped up the priority list.

Even if the planning permission was given tomorrow, we'd still be waiting until 2025, but once the roadblock to getting it going again is removed (which will hopefully be next year as the Minister has indicated), progress can then begin! I'm just dreaming of the day when I can get from Cork to Limerick in only an hour no mater what time of day it is.

2025? It would hardly take that long surely? That's 9 years away!

It would be just great for someone with the power to do the planning and whatnot on this scheme (and others) so it will be ready to go when there's money available.

But no, we have to wait another 6/7 years once it's approved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

marno21 wrote: »
    2023 was the last estimated date for the opening of the M21. Maybe that's what he's thinking of.

M28 could be done by 2020 if there aren't any ignorant people objecting.

No I was talking about the M28, I was speaking with the consultants about the project recently.
    It's a tricky enough project from an engineering perspective and it will have a maximum speed of 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If the M20 is built it needs to have the northern half the N40 complete also, otherwise you'll be dumping huge amounts of fast moving traffic straight into Cork City Centre. Cork CC won't be happy with that especially with more and more car bans on City streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Limerick74

The N20 is part of the Comprehensive TEN-T Network which is required to be in place by 2050. The N28 and Foynes to Limerick schemes are part of the Core TEN-T Network which is required by 2030. So the N20/M20 has the same priority as other comprehensive routes like the N21, N22 & N25 etc. That's my understanding of the situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

cgcsb wrote: »
    If the M20 is built it needs to have the northern half the N40 complete also, otherwise you'll be dumping huge amounts of fast moving traffic straight into Cork City Centre. Cork CC won't be happy with that especially with more and more car bans on City streets.
    That's the plan.

No I was talking about the M28, I was speaking with the consultants about the project recently.
    It's a tricky enough project from an engineering perspective and it will have a maximum speed of 100km/h.

Ok but I'd be more optimistic because it doesn't seem like they will need another 5 years of planning and design.

• Advertisement

Seems to be a lot of mileage (excuse the pun) behind this now. Are we finally going to see this happen?

Perhaps it'll be possible to progress this as a PPP when the M17/M18, M11 & N25 projects are done?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭IsaacWunder

marno21 wrote: »
    Perhaps it'll be possible to progress this as a PPP when the M17/M18, M11 & N25 projects are done?

The whole atlantic corridor idea wasn't a bad one. At least the N25-N20-N18 part of it. A motorway going Waterford-Cork-Limerick-Galway as a counterbalance to Dublin just makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Shurwhynot wrote:
    Seems to be a lot of mileage (excuse the pun) behind this now. Are we finally going to see this happen?

I wouldn't think so. Limerick Chamber is fairly toothless and likes to think of itself as an influential lobby group. It's really not though. They're just making noise.

There may well be solid vested interests in both cities (probably more so in Cork) that want to stall the motorway as long as possible. The all roads lead to Dublin policy works well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Might make a stronger argument for M20

"Cork County Council will now be able to create a new town as part of their Monard Strategic Development Zone project, one that's going to be contain a railway station, schools and shops.
    ...........it's going to be located on a 391 hectare site that's just 4km away from Blarney"
    http://www.joe.ie/life-style/ireland-looks-set-to-be-getting-a-new-town/547532

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

zulutango wrote: »
    There may well be solid vested interests in both cities (probably more so in Cork) that want to stall the motorway as long as possible. The all roads lead to Dublin policy works well for them.

I don't follow your line of logic at all. Most Cork people and Businesses I know are crying out for this road to be done. How could it possibly benefit anyone locally in Cork for this not to happen?

I could at least understand why Limerick people wouldn't want it to happen (afraid that investors choosing between the two will no longer "need" to be so near Shannon's transatlantic flights)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I completely agree with the above. I don't know anyone in Cork who doesn't want the M20, it's something that would be enormously beneficial to the city and surrounding areas. It would mean people growing up in North Cork and South Limerick could still live in their home town (if they so choose) and easily commute to Cork or Limerick, which would be good for rural Ireland and also take pressure off housing in both cities, so it is also good for residents of both cities. Having the motorway makes Shannon, Limerick and Galway more accessible for Cork and vice-versa. It would join up the three cities, which have nearly 1 million people between them and give the western half of the country the break it so badly needs to be a credible alternative to the capital for investment by multinationals and the like. Having the two airports closer to each other (time wise) would create more competition between the airports and that would be good for both economies alike. All of these things will make the western half of the country more attractive to live in and more prosperous.

It makes absolutely no sense to have all the population crammed into one small part of the country (Dublin), it's not good for Dublin (just look at all the traffic problems they have now not to mention the complete shortage of housing) and it's not good for people outside the capital either. Cork people in particular want to live in Cork, the only reason they move is because there aren't the job opportunities with the big companies in Cork (save a few small branches here and there). The M20 is a complete no brainer, unless you're an eco-mentalist, I don't know why anyone in either city would think it's a bad thing.

Its a fecking Joe.ie article, they are basically the daily mail under a different name.

• Advertisement

Having the two airports closer to each other (time wise) would create more competition between the airports and that would be good for both economies alike.

I don't agree with this point, both airports are already fighting nail and tooth, they don't need further competition.

Advertisement