Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Chaos this morning, traffic crawling, a stoppage for no reason at one point and a new first in my experience driving the road, a queue at the Blarney exit.
    There appears to be no sign of any roadworks activity being carried out save for the cones.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Update on N20 Mallow to Cork Road works:
    The resurfacing which involved Stop/Go arrangements was largely completed a few weeks ago. Since then any disruptions to traffic have been quite minor and localised and other works have been carried out during nighttime hours.
    However, there are a few locations where the resurfacing work isn’t quite up to standard and these areas will need to be taken up and resurfaced in the next few weeks. Unfortunately, this will involve stop/go arrangements again, but they will be outside morning & evening peak traffic times - exact timeframe for this work is to be yet agreed.
    Other than this, there should be no further significant traffic interruptions. The contractor will be on site up to the end of September carrying out work to grass margins etc which will have little or no impact on traffic.

****ing jokers.

Chaos again this morning, left lane closed from the start of the 2+1, traffic backed up all the way back to Mallow PHC due to some prick in a John Deere going all the way to beyond Rathduff.
    JP O'Shea coming across as a complete joker.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Now that everyone's back and everyone's favourite roads are jammed again, it's no surprise these are still a major issue in the local media.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/ibec-calls-major-cork-road-projects-get-underway/2526413/

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

When exactly is this famous mid-term review taking place? Early/mid 2017? I assume they won't be announcing anything about infrastructural investment in the Budget

• Advertisement

Two crashes today, one after 7am between Mourneabbey and Rathduff, one after 4pm at the Grenagh 'Services'. The second one looked dreadful, I crawled back up the road after what I saw when passing.
    Chaos at both rush hours, the road is overcapacity, plain and simple.
    I don't know how IKEA can even be contemplated in the Cork area until there is a major overhaul of the road network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Buttevant works completed as far as I can tell ( they were there for some long time !!! )>

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

If this shambolic government can't come up with the money to fund this vital motorway maybe Apple might like to fund the project as a goodwill gesture. Would be a drop in the ocean compared to what they might have had to fork out.

I can just see the signs now " You are now on the Apple Highway joining Cork to Limerick"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

betistuc wrote: »
    If this shambolic government can't come up with the money to fund this vital motorway maybe Apple might like to fund the project as a goodwill gesture. Would be a drop in the ocean compared to what they might have had to fork out.

I can just see the signs now " You are now on the Apple Highway joining Cork to Limerick"

All of the 2km marker signs would have big signage;
    "This sign is proudly brought to you by Apple inc."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Apple highway would be ideal but they would never do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

it would be great, but doubtless there would be some oddball feature that would drive you demented - eg: non standard charging cable/weird headphone connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The Apple iWay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

The m20 iWay. Lol :D. Can we petition Apple to build this lol

If anything the most relevant scheme to Apple would be the North Ring Rd, which would tie into the M20. The road network around Apple is grossly underpowered.

marno21 wrote: »
    If anything the most relevant scheme to Apple would be the North Ring Rd, which would tie into the M20. The road network around Apple is grossly underpowered.

Tell me about it, its amazing they weren't required to fund new infrastructure like IKEA were in Dublin, I endure the shift changeover traffic every morning and the chaos it causes, I used to be amazed at how panicked everyone looked trying to be at Apple for 8, then I heard what its actually like to work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

As part of the NRR West scheme, there is a link road from practically outside of Apple to one of the NRR junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Tell me about it, its amazing they weren't required to fund new infrastructure like IKEA were in Dublin, I endure the shift changeover traffic every morning and the chaos it causes, I used to be amazed at how panicked everyone looked trying to be at Apple for 8, then I heard what its actually like to work there.

There may be funding to solve that issue soon....:D

New set of roadworks between Buttevant and the Ballybeg bends.

15-20 minute delays through there this evening.

Not sure what the obsession with roadworks is in Buttevant to be honest.

New set of roadworks between Buttevant and the Ballybeg bends.

15-20 minute delays through there this evening.

Not sure what the obsession with roadworks is in Buttevant to be honest.
    They're just pumping money into unnecessary roadworks as an excuse not to build the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

They're just pumping money into unnecessary roadworks as an excuse not to build the motorway.

Certainly feels like it. I'm 28 and I swear I'll still be using the current road when I'm 40 like:(! In fact, I fully expect that not one part of it will be under construction by the time I'm 35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I heard that there were delays in Buttevant on the radio, the mind boggles as to what they are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Certainly feels like it. I'm 28 and I swear I'll still be using the current road when I'm 40 like:(! In fact, I fully expect that not one part of it will be under construction by the time I'm 35.

If you feel that way,then imagine me. I remember going to Mallow on the 'old' road and not the new one. I reckon i'll have grandkids before that road is built and my eldest child isn't even in double figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

KC161 wrote: »
    If you feel that way,then imagine me. I remember going to Mallow on the 'old' road and not the new one. I reckon i'll have grandkids before that road is built and my eldest child isn't even in double figures.

I'm with you KC161..... funnily enough the 'old' road was a damn sight better than driving through a never-ending line of cones

I'm with you KC161..... funnily enough the 'old' road was a damn sight better than driving through a never-ending line of cones

Not sure about that. The Old Mallow road was shocking. Loads of skew bridges across the railway track.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I've gone on the old road and it really is terrifying, but it was by choice, not because the new Mallow Road hadn't opened. When was the dual carriageway opened? I remember going on the N20 before the Blackpool bypass was done but I don't remember a time when we had to use the old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

I've gone on the old road and it really is terrifying, but it was by choice, not because the new Mallow Road hadn't opened. When was the dual carriageway opened? I remember going on the N20 before the Blackpool bypass was done but I don't remember a time when we had to use the old road.

I think the Blackpool bypass opened in 1996, but the Dual out of Blackpool towards Blarney opened in 1992.

As for the rest of the Mallow road, I'm not sure if it was sometime before that or not.

I think the Blackpool bypass opened in 1996, but the Dual out of Blackpool towards Blarney opened in 1992.

As for the rest of the Mallow road, I'm not sure if it was sometime before that or not.

Blackpool bypass was opened in stages from 1999 to 2001. The road from the old mill confectionary to the brewery being the last bit. As for the new mallow road i think 1990 by the commons bar but i am open to correction on that.

I'm guessing that where the current N20 is now, was the old road to Blarney. That it was widened and straightened with a brand new section of road then built between Blarney and Rathduff?

I'm guessing that where the current N20 is now, was the old road to Blarney. That it was widened and straightened with a brand new section of road then built between Blarney and Rathduff?

Adjacent to the flyover by the sunset ridge is a left hand turn. That road is now a dead end leading to the walkway but it was part of the old road.

• Advertisement

KC161 wrote: »
    Adjacent to the flyover by the sunsst ridge is a left hand turn. That road is now a dead end leading to the walkway but it was part of the old road.

Don't understand why they closed this section between Blarney and Killeens. An alternative route would be quite handy for a multitude of reasons.

Advertisement