Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Don't understand why they closed this section between Blarney and Killeens. An alternative route would be quite handy for a multitude of reasons.[/
    There is still a road between Blarney and Killeens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Don't understand why they closed this section between Blarney and Killeens. An alternative route would be quite handy for a multitude of reasons.[/
    There is still a road between Blarney and Killeens.

There is but it is quite narrow, twisty and really wouldn't be a very useful alternative route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

There is but it is quite narrow, twisty and really wouldn't be a very useful alternative route.

Plus it is poorly lit. In places getting 2 vehicles along side by side can be done but if a hgv and bus met there'd be trouble, even though i know is there is a sign near the nct centre saying the road is unsuitable for such vehicles it doesn't stop some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

I was caught in a long line of cars going never going above 50km/h last night all the way from Buttevant to Mallow. The car in front kept slowing down as other cars approached as if they were being blinded by the lights and this was only at 8pm! Frustrating does not describe that part of the journey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Boots234 wrote: »
    I was caught in a long line of cars going never going above 50km/h last night all the way from Buttevant to Mallow. The car in front kept slowing down as other cars approached as if they were being blinded by the lights and this was only at 8pm! Frustrating does not describe that part of the journey

I feel you pain i remeber going even slower the time of the bad snow there it took over 2hours to get from outside cork say to Mallow (cant remember the big hill where some trucks got caught cause of the steepness & lack of grip .

• Advertisement

I feel you pain i remeber going even slower the time of the bad snow there it took over 2hours to get from outside cork say to Mallow (cant remember the big hill where some trucks got caught cause of the steepness & lack of grip .

Goulds hill?

KC161 wrote: »
    Goulds hill?[/QUOTE

Goulds Hill is within Mallow itself, not on the N20, not that steep either.

Goulds hill?[/QUOTE

Goulds Hill is within Mallow itself, not on the N20, not that steep either.

Which part of the N20 is steep? I've driven trucks and buses up and down that road and can't find any reslly steep part. Granted there's a bit of a hill going to rathduff but not steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Which part of the N20 is steep? I've driven trucks and buses up and down that road and can't find any reslly steep part. Granted there's a bit of a hill going to rathduff but not steep.

u prob Remember the place since ur a truck driver. It was lack of traction in the snow. they stopped halfway up & couldnt keep going. It was ages ago anyway.

u prob Remember the place since ur a truck driver. It was lack of traction in the snow. they stopped halfway up & couldnt keep going. It was ages ago anyway.

Was that around 2009/2010? Only driving for a living since 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Going to have to take up cigarettes in future for driving the N20.

1hr 20mins today to get from Castletroy to Mallow. That's 51km/h.

Was that around 2009/2010? Only driving for a living since 2012.

Most likely the hill between Grenagh "Services" and Rathduff junction with the Old Mallow Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

There seems to be some momentum gathering for M20 between ibec, the construction industry federation and a smattering of councilors and senators all calling for a green light. My god will they ever just get off their hoop and get it built. It's a bloody deathtrap of a road.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/217852/cif-calls-for-m20-to-be-included-in-capital-programme.html

This is happening monthly at this stage. Of course, still no movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

while I welcome their call for the road to be built, it must be remembered that the CIF are representative body for builders and developers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Baldilocks wrote: »
    while I welcome their call for the road to be built, it must be remembered that the CIF are representative body for builders and developers

Depending on one's viewpoint about the current Government, that's either a good thing or a bad thing:D!

I don't care what else is in the mid-term review so long as there is something on this wretched road. It's a thundering disgrace that the country's second and third biggest cities are so badly connected. If we are to ever have a good counterbalance to Dublin, we need to have proper connectivity in Cork and the other regional cities. Mind you, I still fully expect to be travelling on the current road when I'm 40 (I'm 28).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Depending on one's viewpoint about the current Government, that's either a good thing or a bad thing:D!

I don't care what else is in the mid-term review so long as there is something on this wretched road. It's a thundering disgrace that the country's second and third biggest cities are so badly connected. If we are to ever have a good counterbalance to Dublin, we need to have proper connectivity in Cork and the other regional cities. Mind you, I still fully expect to be travelling on the current road when I'm 40 (I'm 28).

In the context of Brexit this morning I read an interesting comment point out that structurally, Germany was a lot different to the UK in that it had more key centres of industry (plus more people rented) which meant that there were job opportunities so people were more likely to relocate because they were not likely to be tied single employers. Viz, some years ago I looked at an interesting job in Kerry, but one of the key down points of that job was that if it didn't work, there were no alternatives which made moving to Kerry some what of a large risk. The point is that people who were in London were unwilling to move to areas where opportunities were significantly limited by comparison to London if moving onwards and upwards was desired and the rental/housing market also mitigated against that flexibility.

I'm not really sure that "counterweight" to Dublin is the best way to describe it because it's almost attacking Dublin's position. BUt for the country as a whole, it is worth reconsidering the idea of a decent spatial strategy so that connections both communications and transport enable companies to relocate in other areas. There is a balance between build it and they will come but in terms of building on what's there already, the Limerick/Cork/Galway corridor could be better supported from a regional planning point of view.

Ideally, this would be split into 3 schemes next year and planning started on all 3. Perhaps Patrickswell - Charleville, Charleville - Mallow, Mallow - Cork including North Ring.

Then one could be done as a PPP, and two could be built with state funding.

Whatever happens, something needs to be done here soon. Existing mess simply can't continue.

With a bit of luck, Enda & Co won't last too much longer and the ridiculous nonsense of having the N5 through Roscommon and the Listowel bypass racing through the planning process whilst much more important schemes like this are in limbo will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

All politics is local and this FG government copper fastens the notion.

Dreadful again this morning, crawled from Mallow to Blarney, Traffic stopped for periods for no apparent reason.

• Advertisement

Dreadful again this morning, crawled from Mallow to Blarney, Traffic stopped for periods for no apparent reason.

Was that around Rathduff? The 60kph limit is the main reason for that i find.

Mourneabbey-Ballyknockane , the whole way to Rathduff. The standard of driving on the road is another reason for all the hold ups, people driving like they're following a hearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Nope. At 07:45 this morning traffic ground to a complete standstill virtually at the beginning of the overtaking stretch around Burnfort. It's been a frequent occurance over the last few weeks and I'm at a loss at to what is the reason for it. Incompetent drivers would be my guess.

Currently sitting in the Buttevant car park that is supposed to be the N20. What a fcuking joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Mourneabbey-Ballyknockane , the whole way to Rathduff. The standard of driving on the road is another reason for all the hold ups, people driving like they're following a hearse.

I use back roads now at least you can drive on, the amount of bad driving on that Mallow road is unbelievable!

Truckermal wrote: »
    I use back roads now at least you can drive on, the amount of bad driving on that Mallow road is unbelievable!

I do that in the summer months, west of the N20 coming home,turn off at Grenagh 'Services' and go east in the mornings Burnfort-Bottlehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

I like to think this explains a lot especially on this road when people see the speed sign and nearly make the rest of us late for our own funeral.

Tender for upgrade of the N20/N72 roundabout in Mallow has gone out.

More roadworks!!! :):) :

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=103855&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

At this stage it seems they just seem to be spending money to justify not building a new M20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

What are people genuinely expecting them to announce in this Mid Term review regarding this road?

Advertisement