Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Either:

a) Enda will announce they have no money for it. I would say this would be the most likely although if he has any brain cells he will realise it's becoming a large issue along the N20 corridor and if he continues his condescending attitude towards it it will cost him votes

b) It'll be "Metro North"ed. They will announce they are committing to it and start putting it though the planning process but they know it won't be ready to begin until after the election and also they can advance it through the planning at a glacial pace like they are doing with all the other schemes bar the N5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

At this stage it seems they just seem to be spending money to justify not building a new M20.
    Didn't they say they would be open to trying to build it in stages?

Budget 2017 tomorrow. I'd fall off my seat were it in the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

KC161 wrote: »
    Didn't they say they would be open to trying to build it in stages?

Budget 2017 tomorrow. I'd fall off my seat were it in the plans.

The politicians want to build in stages, TII want to build it all in one go and as soon as possible. They are massively opposed to the Mallow Relief Road being done as a separate project because they feel it will give the body politic an excuse not to build the M20.
    In Limerick there is a legend in circulation that Cork County Council are opposed to the M20 in a bid to protect Cork Airport, nothing could be further from the truth, both Cork County Council and Cork Airport are anxious for it to be built as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote: »
    Tender for upgrade of the N20/N72 roundabout in Mallow has gone out.

More roadworks!!! :):) :

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=103855&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Hopefully it's not awarded to the crowd that done Buttevant.

Speed wouldn't exactly be their "Priority "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The politicians want to build in stages, TII want to build it all in one go and as soon as possible. They are massively opposed to the Mallow Relief Road being done as a separate project because they feel it will give the body politic an excuse not to build the M20.
    In Limerick there is a legend in circulation that Cork County Council are opposed to the M20 in a bid to protect Cork Airport, nothing could be further from the truth, both Cork County Council and Cork Airport are anxious for it to be built as soon as possible.

No there isn't.

• Advertisement

No there isn't.
    Oh yes there is !

Oh yes there is !

There isn't. I'm from Limerick and I've never heard that said by anyone. You may have heard some Shannon airport nutter say it, but it's not "a legend in circulation".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Oh yes there is !

There isn't. I'm from Limerick and I've never heard that said by anyone. You may have heard some Shannon airport nutter say it, but it's not "a legend in circulation".

That conspiracy theory is a new one for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I've heard that said actually. And, to be fair, it's reasonable that certain people in both cities (and indeed in Dublin and elsewhere) would not want the motorway built given the impacts it is likely to have on their particular interests.

In an ideal world the government would act for the greater good, but that doesn't always happen, as we know.

the fact 2 political heavy weights are based in both cities Martin (Cork) & Noonan (Limerick) have not got this off the ground is crazy.

FF even promised it as a pre election issue.

The government needs FF to survive and still won't press this issue is mad.

Yet they give themselves increases in their salary ranging from 2-5000 euro on top of an already overly generous amount.

• Advertisement

Nothing in budget 2017. We will be here in 10 years with this thread and it still won't be built.

It has been said to me on my frequent trips to the Mid West, as recently as last week in Mickey Martins.

It has been said to me on my frequent trips to the Mid West, as recently as last week in Mickey Martins.

People in pubs with an opinion does not equate to the whole of Limerick believing it as your post implied. As another Limerick based poster said, it's not a well known theory.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nothing in budget 2017. We will be here in 10 years with this thread and it still won't be built.
    Not sure why anyone would expect anything any different.

Enda has made it clear that he isn't willing to spend any money on infrastructure and instead would rather start hoarding money beginning in 2018.

Perhaps when Micheal and co come in we might finally see development in Cork and the south west. There are 4 Cork schemes in the "Capital Plan", and that's just the tip of the iceberg. When those 4 are done we still will need the M20, Cork North Ring, DC to Macroom, DC to Youghal, Cobh road upgrade and the Carrigtwohill/Midleton interchanges. That still doesn't include roads which aren't planned yet such as the N71 upgrade, and upgrades to national secondaries such as the N72 & N73.

<snip> Mod: Uncivil remark - deleted - poster warned.

Seriously? Are you 5 years old or something? You made a statement, which was untrue and I called you out on it so you decide to try to insult me? That's enough of you I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

I don't think he was ever going to announce the M20 in the budget. He only mentioned ongoing schemes. If it's not progressed in the Mid Term Review, that's when i'll officially give up hope that these idiots have a brain between them

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

I attended a Budget Briefing this morning ran by the Limerick Chamber of Commerce & PWC. The first thing the Limerick Chamber representative who introduced the speakers announced was that they were disappointed that they didn't get the main thing they were looking for, which was to restart the planning procedure around the M20. He said they had sought this to be part of the Budget. I would have assumed that this would form part of the Mid Term Review, but anyways. He also said that they had dinner last night with the TII, and while he didn't go into detail on it, he said something along the lines of "at least we have another year to improve on our proposal and argument". That seemed like a very defeatist attitude to me!

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    I attended a Budget Briefing this morning ran by the Limerick Chamber of Commerce & PWC. The first thing the Limerick Chamber representative who introduced the speakers announced was that they were disappointed that they didn't get the main thing they were looking for, which was to restart the planning procedure around the M20. He said they had sought this to be part of the Budget. I would have assumed that this would form part of the Mid Term Review, but anyways. He also said that they had dinner last night with the TII, and while he didn't go into detail on it, he said something along the lines of "at least we have another year to improve on our proposal and argument". That seemed like a very defeatist attitude to me!

Why do they need to justify their proposal to TII. TII are fully behind the project, its the politicians that are holding it up.

Why do they need to justify their proposal to TII. TII are fully behind the project, its the politicians that are holding it up.

In reality it is probably the senior civil servants in various departments who are resisting it. The politicians could overrule them but they're not very clued in on the issues.

TII are 100% in favour of this scheme, as many others. From being in charge of the roads, they know that most of the national road network is pathetic and dangerous, meaning frequent road deaths and accidents, as well as some such as the N72 being in such bad condition that they need constant resurfacing.

Considering the Minister for Finance is from Limerick, and there's 2 Cork based TDs in the cabinet (one of whom comes from Macroom, who are beyond waiting for a bypass yet it's still not happening) and they're not doing anything about it either.

• Advertisement

574. Deputy Michael Moynihan Information on Michael Moynihan Zoom on Michael Moynihan asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Information on Shane P.N. Ross Zoom on Shane P.N. Ross the status of the progress of the proposed M20 Cork to Limerick motorway; his views on the importance of this piece of infrastructure to the region and the urgent need to progress this project; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [29321/16]

Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport (Deputy Shane Ross): Information on Shane P.N. Ross Zoom on Shane P.N. Ross As Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, I have responsibility for overall policy and funding in relation to the national roads programme. The planning, design and implementation of individual national road projects is a matter for the Transport Infrastructure Ireland (formerly known as the NRA) under the Roads Acts 1993-2015 in conjunction with the local authorities concerned. Within its capital budget, the assessment and prioritisation of individual projects is a matter in the first instance for TII in accordance with Section 19 of the Roads Act.

The Capital Plan published in September 2015 outlined proposed transport investment priorities to 2022. The transport element of the Capital Plan did provide for some targeted investment in a number of new projects in the Munster region including the N8/N25 Dunkettle Interchange and the N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom schemes. In addition, a number of other schemes targeted at removing bottlenecks and upgrading port access, will commence subject to necessary consents. It was not possible to include the M20 in the Capital Plan as the scale of investment to deliver it was not affordable.

I am conscious of the potential regional development benefits of an upgrade of the N20 and the significant interest in finding a means to at least restart planning work on a M20. While I will be checking with TII the status of work undertaken on the previous planning application, as things currently stand I do not have the funding available to progress this scheme.

I do expect, however, that the M20 Cork to Limerick motorway project will be looked at as part of the planned Mid-Term Review of the Capital Plan

---

From yesterday's written answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Everybody got stuck behind a bollocks in a tractor this morning from Buttevant, anyway I passed him eventually but when we reached Mallow he kept to the inside lane and then bullied his way straight through the Roundabout for cork. It was Rathduff before I passed him again....:mad:

Truckermal wrote: »
    Everybody got stuck behind a bollocks in a tractor this morning from Buttevant, anyway I passed him eventually but when we reached Mallow he kept to the inside lane and then bullied his way straight through the Roundabout for cork. It was Rathduff before I passed him again....:mad:

Traffic ground to a halt this morning outside Rathduff around 7:30 for no apparent reason.

The amount of cars chancing their arm shooting through the inside lane at Annabella is frightening.
    I remember there used always be a guard on the roundabout watching out for this.

Truckermal wrote: »
    The amount of idiots incorrectly using the left lane to go to Cork is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I don't know why both lanes can't be for Cork. There's 2 receiving lanes on the other side and this would remove a lot of congestion using a can of paint.

I don't know why both lanes can't be for Cork. There's 2 receiving lanes on the other side and this would remove a lot of congestion using a can of paint.

Along with the fact most town centre traffic enters at the previous roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

No doubt some plonker will get confused and head for the Killarney exit from the inside lane at the Limerick side approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Merging back to the single lane would probably also cause trouble given the shocking standard of driving we've become accustomed to on that road!

Anybody got any drawing(s) of the new roundabout layout?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

marno21 wrote: »
    From yesterday's written answers.

This is a standard civil servant response to any written questions. The same person must be employed as the response to Dempsey/Varadkar's questions were the exact same over and over.

It's political bull of the highest order. There is no interest, ambition or drive to build/plan this project among the higher ups that run the country.

It's disgusting really, pensions and house prices are what's important. Brown envelopes etc.

• Advertisement

Irish_rat wrote: »
    There is no interest, ambition or drive to build/plan this project among the higher ups that run the country.

There may even be active resistance to it from certain quarters.

Advertisement