Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

zulutango wrote: »
    There may even be active resistance to it from certain quarters.

I've heard this several times now: any idea what the source of the resistance is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I've heard this several times now: any idea what the source of the resistance is?

We can only speculate. There would be many with a vested interest in the status quo though, i.e. farmers, business owners in bypassed towns, etc. Maybe there are even bigger vested interests opposing it. Cork Airport would be likely to suffer (as it presumably already has with the M8 to Dublin).

It is fair to say that the motorway will fundamentally alter the relationship between the cities of Limerick and Cork, and make them much stronger economic entities, and arguably that is a long-term threat to a lot of other places, or even to certain people and business within both those cities.

It's just speculation, but big infrastructural projects have big impacts and it reasonable to expect opposition from many quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I think the whole Limerick-Galway dynamic will change dramatically when the M18 is complete, City Centre to City Centre in less than an hour. This is really going to push the two of them closer together and will probably form the counterbalance to the east, Cork needs to get in on this action and soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I get the impression that a lot of the pressure stalking this road is coming from Limerick.

The Limerick - Galway axis is dominated to a large degree by Limerick.

Add in Cork and I feel you are then leading to things polarizing to both Cork and Galway. I get the feeling that Michael Noonan has a huge say in what is going on and that Coveney is next to useless in trying to do anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think the whole Limerick-Galway dynamic will change dramatically when the M18 is complete, City Centre to City Centre in less than an hour. This is really going to push the two of them closer together and will probably form the counterbalance to the east, Cork needs to get in on this action and soon.

Only trouble is Galway itself, where you can spend another hour getting across the town. It is hampered big-time by the lack of its bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

"Some stage in the future" isn't ****ing good enough Simon.

Also, where is this €1bn price tag coming from?!?!?!?!?! The old M20 plan apparently costed €800m (the price tag used to shoot it down), and included an Adare bypass and Mallow relief road, both of which are now being built seperately. It's also unclear whether this new scheme will include the M40 North Ring Road East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Truckermal wrote: »

Coveney is some langer

Noonan only too delighted to shoot it down.

Noonan only too delighted to shoot it down.

Was listening to a story on the radio regarding this today.

If Noonan stopped foreign aid for 1 year that would almost be enough to get the road built.

But sure typical Ireland, fcuk our own sort everyone else.

Will it take for a government minister such as Noonan, Coveney or even Kenny himself to be killed to kick this thing into life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

KC161 wrote: »
    Was listening to a story on the radio regarding this today.

If Noonan stopped foreign aid for 1 year that would almost be enough to get the road built.

But sure typical Ireland, fcuk our own sort everyone else.

Will it take for a government minister such as Noonan, Coveney or even Kenny himself to be killed to kick this thing into life.
    What was this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

They should be reminded of this every time another life is lost on that terrible road, as the the death toll will unfortunately continue to rise.

marno21 wrote: »
    What was this on?

Neil Prendeville this morning.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    They should be reminded of this every time another life is lost on that terrible road, as the the death toll will unfortunately continue to rise.

the amount of white crosses I have seen on this road is beyond belief. I would like to get the stats of just how many people sadly died on this road since the start of the decade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Strange phrasing in the article. You wouldn't be spending the billion all in one year - taking 3-4 years to build, that's only 250-330 million a year.
    Also they could phase the construction. It just beggars belief. It's really like they don't want to build it.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Strange phrasing in the article. You wouldn't be spending the billion all in one year - taking 3-4 years to build, that's only 250-330 million a year.
    Also they could phase the construction. It just beggars belief. It's really like they don't want to build it.

Not only that, there would only be planning costs due for the next 3/4 years. The main reason it annoys me nothing is being done is the constant monainh about the price tag, get it through the planning first and see from there. The construction costs are tomorrow's problem

Cllr. John Paul O'Shea confirmed on C103 this morning that with the realignment of the roundabout at Annabella, both lanes will be used for through travel on the N20, meaning lesser tailbacks and no more of the doing a lap in the inside lane.

Just a thought. It won't be long before it is announced whether Ireland will get the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

So what exactly is the plan for transportation between the 2nd and 3rd city. For instance, if planning etc was restarted today, just how fast could the M20 be built?

I see this as a huge negative on the World Cup bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Just a thought. It won't be long before it is announced whether Ireland will get the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

So what exactly is the plan for transportation between the 2nd and 3rd city. For instance, if planning etc was restarted today, just how fast could the M20 be built?

I see this as a huge negative on the World Cup bid.

The plan is already there in terms of the road to build - it just needs investment.

So..in time order...

1. Ireland gets to host it.
    2. Some lobbying of politicians to improve infrastructure
    3. Road gets built or nothing happens.

Probably nothing happens. All due respect to the Rugger folk, it doesn't get a big enough worldwide audience to need to pimp the country out Rio/london style.

The plan is already there in terms of the road to build - it just needs investment.

So..in time order...

1. Ireland gets to host it.
    2. Some lobbying of politicians to improve infrastructure
    3. Road gets built or nothing happens.

Probably nothing happens. All due respect to the Rugger folk, it doesn't get a big enough worldwide audience to need to pimp the country out Rio/london style.

It's not pimping the country out though. It's building a vital piece of infrastructure which is badly required irrespective of a Rugby World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

It's not pimping the country out though. It's building a vital piece of infrastructure which is badly required irrespective of a Rugby World Cup.

Agree on that count - the Rugger is irrelevant to it's necessity

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Would they have it built in 3 years once shovel hits ground?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Perhaps they will fly from Cork to Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

So what exactly is the plan for transportation between the 2nd and 3rd city.

I've just checked and you'll be delighted to hear that there's a Motorway all the way from Belfast to Cork - and back again! Good rail links too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Turnipman wrote: »
    I've just checked and you'll be delighted to hear that there's a Motorway all the way from Belfast to Cork - and back again! Good rail links too.

Incorrect, a dual carriageway from Kill to Red Cow and an A road from Ravensdale to Sprucefield, neither of which are motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rail link isn't great to Belfast, you have to change stations in Dublin.

But anyway, we're talking about the Republic, the part of the country that the Irish Government are responsible for, don't troll.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Turnipman wrote: »

Cities in other people's countries don't count.

Belfast is a city in another country - especially from a roads point of view. While we are providing funding for the A5, it's not within TII's remit to fund upgrades of roads to Belfast. Therefore within TII's thoughtspace, the second and third cities in Ireland are Cork and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

marno21 wrote: »
    Belfast is a city in another country - especially from a roads point of view. While we are providing funding for the A5, it's not within TII's remit to fund upgrades of roads to Belfast.

What's the M1 interurban route for so?

• Advertisement

What's the M1 interurban route for so?

I think he means schemes That are located within NI.

Advertisement