Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Massive multi vehicle crash at the northern end of the Croom bypass, traffic is backed up southbound as far as the M20 junction.

I myself came upon a crash on Wednesday just south of Banogue.

What will it take to get this sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

marno21 wrote: »
    Massive multi vehicle crash at the northern end of the Croom bypass, traffic is backed up southbound as far as the M20 junction.

I myself came upon a crash on Wednesday just south of Banogue.

What will it take to get this sorted?

The death of a government minister probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

KC161 wrote: »
    The death of a government minister probably.

Do we get to pick which one ? 😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

D Trent wrote: »
    Do we get to pick which one ? 😂

Anyone for a raffle to decide? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Any excuse to post this :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

spacetweek wrote: »
    Cities in other people's countries don't count.
    marno21 wrote: »
    Belfast is a city in another country

If you want to make some sort of point about different road budgets fine, but coat trailing language is inappropriate for moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Good god this does not matter, we are quite clearly talking about the republic! Why does it need pages of clarification?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If you want to make some sort of point about different road budgets fine, but coat trailing language is inappropriate for moderators.
    This is not coat trailing language. The A1/M1 are in a different jurisdiction, the Republic, and the TII have no control over them. That is a fact, there is no disputing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we return to talking about the Cork Limerick motorway M20.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Is anyone commuting on this daily? This is likely to become a reality for myself in the not too distant future. I drove it for the first time in a while yesterday - at least the roadworks at Buttevant and outside Mallow seem to be finished

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    Is anyone commuting on this daily? This is likely to become a reality for myself in the not too distant future. I drove it for the first time in a while yesterday - at least the roadworks at Buttevant and outside Mallow seem to be finished

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/buttevant-gets-set-to-party-as-roadworks-finally-end-428235.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's actually uncanny that they are throwing a party for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The Government saw the New Coke plot and thought they'd have some of that with the Buttevant roadworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Mc Love wrote: »

I think if you had to live with it, plus the pre-roadworks, as long as the people of Buttevant have had to, you'd probably want one hell of a party that it's all over.

if they could just bypass the place and CHarleville, there'd be a week long celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

doubtless they'll close the road for the party!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Baldilocks wrote: »
    doubtless they'll close the road for the party!!
    It will be a drive thru Party :D:D:D. people will hand u in food while ur passing LOL LOL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mc Love wrote: »

Which party are they throwing - FF or FG?

Probably FF

• Advertisement

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/222847/ff-leader-in-warning-over-progress-of-m20.html#.WCDEP0_zRO4.facebook

Martin emphasising the importance of the M20. Seeing as he'll probably be Taoiseach soon, I hope he puts his money where his mouth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The local business's have suffered so they probably they want the community to do business in Buttevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Martin emphasising the importance of the M20. Seeing as he'll probably be Taoiseach soon, I hope he puts his money where his mouth is.
    Mickey martin might do well to remember, it was his government that decided to annihilate the capital budget...

also this "counterweight" to dublin, spare me, you could put cork, limerick, belfast and galway together and I reckon I am right in saying, they still wouldnt be the size of dublin.

If he feels cork - limerick needs the m20. What is his opinion on Dublins need for DU and MN?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Mickey martin might do well to remember, it was his government that decided to annihilate the capital budget...

also this "counterweight" to dublin, spare me, you could put cork, limerick, belfast and galway together and I reckon I am right in saying, they still wouldnt be the size of dublin.

If he feels cork - limerick needs the m20. What is his opinion on Dublins need for DU and MN?

Must be because he actually had to travel the road to go to the recent Munster match and found it unbearable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Idbatterim wrote: »

Nobody is saying the counterweight exists at the moment. The point is that if you link the cities with good infrastructure then they will develop into a counterweight over time. So, instead of Cork-Galway-Limerick having a combined population of something like 500,000, they would grow to a population of 1 million plus. That's what infrastructure does. Much of Dublin's population and economic growth in the last 30 years can be linked to the 'all roads lead to Dublin' approach to infrastructural development during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I get the counterweight theory, and I get that it would take some pressure off Dublin, but nothing like some people expect in my opinion.

Look at the north of England, manchester, liverpool, blackburn, leeds, bradford, all well linked by road and rail, very close to each other. Some far bigger than any any other irish city bar Dublin.

They are in no way a counterweight to London in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

@corksafetyalerts have reported 2 separate collisions on the N20 near Rathduff in the past hour.........and sadly, this pattern will continue

Accident in Charleville earlier also

Apparently the RWC bid is worth 800 million to the economy - the M20 would surely help this along if the brains trust get their finger out and get this fast-tracked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Baldilocks

While I would dearly love to see this road, having spent 3 hours on it last Friday night. I doubt it could be made ready in less than the 7 years between no and the world cup in 2023.
    Secondly and more importantly, the ~30 minutes saved in travel time from 90 minutes avg to ~60 minutes avg, wouldn't remotely come into the reckoning or World Rugby. Travelling around South Africa, Australia, New Zealand involves either flights or many hours at the wheel.

Hopefully it will be included in next years infrastructre review. They are running out of reasons not to do it. When Gort-Tuam opens, it will be a glaring gap in our infrastructure.

Advertisement