Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Hardly going to be 2 for the length of the M20?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Aye, sure the M1 has 2 sets of online MSAs, and is slightly shorter than the M20 will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Aye, sure the M1 has 2 sets of online MSAs, and is slightly shorter than the M20 will be.
    Oh aye it's a f****ing situation alright

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ah here. The M1 doesn't just stop at the border, the M1/N1/A1/M1 route is much longer than the M20 will be.

My guess is that in the new plans there will be one MSA, located between Charleville and Rathduff. Rathduff is possibly too far south although they may be wanting to catch commuter Mallow/N72 traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Here's hoping that this thing keeps going now once and for all. i'm seeing crashes on the Redfm/Cork safety alerts pages on twitter on the current road at least once a week. has there been any objectors to the CPO's that are proposed? is it just land only involved or will houses/farms be demolished along the route to make way?

Sorry cannot view the link for the route, will it continue the same as the current cork mallow road? Also if living in mallow will we have to pay a toll to get to work in cork? Thanks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sorry cannot view the link for the route, will it continue the same as the current cork mallow road? Also if living in mallow will we have to pay a toll to get to work in cork? Thanks

The plan is/was to follow the existing N20 from the Burnfort turnoff as far as the existing DC near Blarney. The current road would become the motorway and a side road would be built for access and non motorway traffic.

No toll plans at the minute.

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭pigtown

Surely building this road without the northern bypass of Cork is a no-go? Will that hinder the chances of getting it off the ground?

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    Surely building this road without the northern bypass of Cork is a no-go? Will that hinder the chances of getting it off the ground?
    It can't be built without some form of Northern Ring Road. Ideally both east and west sections are built. More traffic would use the western section (to get to the N22/N71 and to get to Ballincollig/UCC/CIT etc), but the eastern section would be cheaper so that'll likely get built.

It shouldn't. The original M20 had a pricetag of €800m and that included the N21 Adare BP and the eastern section of the NRR. Remember that this is 80km of motorway of which 30km is online build so it shouldn't be that expensive per km compared to lets say Gort-Tuam which is 100% offline.

marno21 wrote: »
    It can't be built without some form of Northern Ring Road. Ideally both east and west sections are built. More traffic would use the western section (to get to the N22/N71 and to get to Ballincollig/UCC/CIT etc), but the eastern section would be cheaper so that'll likely get built.

It shouldn't. The original M20 had a pricetag of €800m and that included the N21 Adare BP and the eastern section of the NRR. Remember that this is 80km of motorway of which 30km is online build so it shouldn't be that expensive per km compared to lets say Gort-Tuam which is 100% offline.

One half must be built anyways as it will provide a link between the M20 and the entire N40.

One half must be built anyways as it will provide a link between the M20 and the entire N40.

West and east would be best. The volume of traffic going between the M8 and the M20 would be effectively zero and the volume of traffic going between the M20 and the N25 would be commuter traffic to Carrigtwohill/Little Island and also traffic for Cobh/Midleton.

The M40 West would take in traffic going to the N22 and N71 (N20-N22 links are pretty much non existant as is bar backroads around Blarney and the R617-R579 link, which goes through central Blarney). It would also take in UCC, CIT, CUH and airport traffic that wouldn't have to use the congested tunnel/Dunkettle/Douglas flyover section of the N40.

Realistically both have to be built but this is Cork with an already shambolic road network so both won't be. A full N40/M40 would connect the existing N22/N40 from Ballincollig to Dunkettle with the M8, Mayfield/northside suburbs, the N20 and Blarney/Mallow, the Apple complex and the western side of the city which doesn't have good access to the motorway/DC network. We can keep dreaming.................

The Western section would aid North - South traffic.

Off the top of my head, the Western section contains a quite large viaduct over the Lee while the eastern section contains 2 tunnels.

Can we continue discussion of the North Ring in this thread please: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055557290&page=2

Would prefer to keep it in its rightful place instead of the M20 thread, and keep the M20 thread free for ongoing updates on the scheme (rare as they may be.)

Another death on the N20 last night: http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1203/836256-fatal-car-crash/

RIP to the woman involved.

Appears to be around the Blarney junction. Not sure about any more specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Another death on the N20 last night: http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1203/836256-fatal-car-crash/

RIP to the woman involved.

Appears to be around the Blarney junction. Not sure about any more specifics.

It was actually on the DC between The Commons and Blarney, I passed it earlier and the car was on its side in the middle of the carriageway. Rest in peace it's a awful tragedy so near Christmas. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Another death at the hands of our incompetent authorities IMO.

RIP indeed.

I actually grew up 20 yards from this girls house.

Went to school with her cousin.

A very quiet girl who wouldn't harm a fly.

She was from Farranree.

R.I.P Mandy

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wish they'd just get their act together and just build these bloody roads. They're already decades late. I think the state should beg, borrow or steal to raise the capital- the improvements will pay for themselves in multiples in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

road_high wrote: »
    Wish they'd just get their act together and just build these bloody roads. They're already decades late. I think the state should beg, borrow or steal to raise the capital- the improvements will pay for themselves in multiples in no time.

They actually do not give a toss..... and the only thing thing that will make them give a toss, are issues that will benefit them-their family/spouse/grandchild etc....I really don't see many working for the 'greater good', as another young girl loses her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Another death at the hands of our incompetent authorities IMO.

RIP indeed.

had it been Motorway, the accident would still have happened, this is a good stretch of modern Dual Carriageway, not the Authorities fault in this instance.

Isambard wrote: »
    had it been Motorway, the accident would still have happened, this is a good stretch of modern Dual Carriageway, not the Authorities fault in this instance.

According to the tabloids the vehicle allegedly spun.

I know the spot quite well as I travel it at least twice a day everyday.

There is the slightest of bends on it, in all my years driving that road I have never heard of an accident, let alone a fatality in that particular spot.

From what I seen yesterday it was just at the "Blarney" sign for the exit itself.

The only people who can establish the facts are the combination of Gardaí,Witnesses and the Coroners court.

The motorway is only going to be beginning at the Blarney exit from what I have been reading,open to correction however. that stretch of road from the commons out was opened in 1990 if memory serves me correctly.

Again it is probably best to let the family grieve in peace at this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Just voted Yes!
    Around 14,800 votes in and the Yes camp is running at 94%! :)

That says something!

Middle Man wrote: »
    Just voted Yes!
    Around 14,800 votes in and the Yes camp is running at 94%! :)

That says something!
    Who knew common sense would prevail?

Road was closed earlier as well due to crash at O'Rourkes Cross. Roundabout should be going in there fairly shortly

• Advertisement

Who knew common sense would prevail?

Road was closed earlier as well due to crash at O'Rourkes Cross. Roundabout should be going in there fairly shortly

Is that the place with the petrol station on the right if your re heading for Limerick? a Go Safe van parks in the bus stop while operating?

Advertisement