Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There is no desire whatsoever by this government to contribute anything towards the M20. Why did they allocated €1m to the scheme this year if they've no intention to progress it?

The lack of desire to invest in infrastructure is comparable to the government being asleep at the wheel. Between the "Brexit exodus" and the investment opportunities brought about it's astounding how little desire there is. What infrastructure have we built and regretted? If anything the infrastructure we build is underscaled and needs upgrade it's so successful (M50, N40, the need for the current expansion on the Luas Green Line, the continued congestion through Connolly station.)

****ing ridiculous to watch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Deedsie wrote: »
    I mean this was an easy win day for any government. €2.6 billion to spend on new infrastructure. They even managed to balls that up. If it goes towards hospitals or health in anyway I'll scream.

Can we all agree on something similar to this for the consultation process.

The only major projects that should be prioritised over the next 10 years are Metro North, DART Underground/Expansion, M20 & Cork North Ring, & investment in cycling/pedestrian infrastructure & services in urban areas for commuters.

And a few small more. M21/Macroom BP/an N24 scheme and planning on the rest. Won't cost too much in fairness for the benefits got.

M20 is TII's #1 priority. Why they can't communicate this to the government I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Lads it coming to the stage where i doubt we will ever see it in our lifetime. The M20 built. we could be all well gone before its ever built or finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Lads it coming to the stage where i doubt we will ever see it in our lifetime. The M20 built. we could be all well gone before its ever built or finished.

Has to be built by 2050 at the latest or something, some E.U bullsh1t rule.

I'll be a pensioner by then but here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

from my point of view the delay suits me as the building will cause some disruption which I'll miss as I'll be Brown Bread by thetime it goes ahead. The benefit of the M20 for me personally will be small as I believe I would have to travel as far as Rathduff to access it and the road from there to Cork is good anyway.
    However, from the point of view of commerce and safeguarding lives it is essential that it goes ahead asap

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    from my point of view the delay suits me as the building will cause some disruption which I'll miss as I'll be Brown Bread by thetime it goes ahead. The benefit of the M20 for me personally will be small as I believe I would have to travel as far as Rathduff to access it and the road from there to Cork is good anyway.
    However, from the point of view of commerce and safeguarding lives it is essential that it goes ahead asap

it is supposed to start from the Blarney exit.

yep and I'm going south.
    It's taking the same line as the current road does to Rathduff (going north) which is where the delays are I anticipate.
    The Mallow exit will be east of Mallow, whereas I'm west, so I believe it will be quicker for me to use the current road from Mallow to Rathduff.

I'd be dreading a return to the old road whilst work goes on

The previous plans had an interchange with the current N20 near the Burnfort turnoff. Labelled as "Mallow South".

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/M20_Cork_Limerick_Motorway%20Scheme_Preliminary%20Design_June_2009/handout_01_02.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Was going from Charleville to Mallow earlier and was stuck in a line of cars behind a tractor from just after buttevant all the way to where the road straightens after the Series of bends....

marno21 wrote: »
    The previous plans had an interchange with the current N20 near the Burnfort turnoff. Labelled as "Mallow South".

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/M20_Cork_Limerick_Motorway%20Scheme_Preliminary%20Design_June_2009/handout_01_02.pdf

that's worse then as it looks like they are using the existing line as far as there, great when it's done but misery whilst it's in progress. Fortunately I know all the shortcuts, even the unfinished Turnpike via Bweeng

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

AA Roadwatch ‏@aaroadwatch 1h1 hour ago
    More
    CORK: N20 Cork/Limerick Rd closed between O’Rourke’s Cross and Charleville due to collision. Diversions in place. http://theAA.ie/Roadwatch

Emergency services at the scene according to RedFm

AA Roadwatch ‏@aaroadwatch 1h1 hour ago
    More
    CORK: N20 Cork/Limerick Rd closed between O’Rourke’s Cross and Charleville due to collision. Diversions in place. http://theAA.ie/Roadwatch

Emergency services at the scene according to RedFm

Passed that crash right after it happened, looked fairly serious. Whilst in Charleville, 4 ambulances 2 fire brigades and 3 Garda cars passed heading north, road closed shortly after because the flow of traffic southbound stopped.

Sadly this is now a very common occurance, I've met 3 crashes on the N20 in the last 2 months and I only use it twice a week at most

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Passed that crash right after it happened, looked fairly serious. Whilst in Charleville, 4 ambulances 2 fire brigades and 3 Garda cars passed heading north, road closed shortly after because the flow of traffic southbound stopped.

Sadly this is now a very common occurance, I've met 3 crashes on the N20 in the last 2 months and I only use it twice a week at most

We really need a global internet sensation to get the powers that be off their butts - Unfortunately I'm nowhere near Cork, so I'm not in any position to make a video of the road.

Lovely Irish-ism " 2 Fire Brigades"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The madness of this is that Dublin needs this M20 more than Limerick or Cork do...we are just too parochial a people to see it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Lovely Irish-ism " 2 Fire Brigades"

Maybe it was both the Cork and Limerick units ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Was going from Charleville to Mallow earlier and was stuck in a line of cars behind a tractor from just after buttevant all the way to where the road straightens after the Series of bends....

This is absolutely normal.... sometimes you may be lucky enough to be behind a 1) tractor driver that looks in his rear right wing mirror and he puts the boot down and gets to 50kmph OR goes very slowly and signals to tell you when to pass...... - this requires a certain level or trust
    2) having seen the tailback, said tractor driver should have a place to pull in, and let ALL the traffic that couldn't pass him.

All I can say (as a non-Corkonian), I would be so cheesed off with the lack of interest shown by ANY of the ministers between the Cork -Limerick border. - thankfully I am not on a daily commute on this road. So many people I know travel (and dread) the journey.
    But.....sadly there is zero interest in improving this route.

Maybe it was both the Cork and Limerick units ?

why would the Limerick Brigade be heading north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

why would the Limerick Brigade be heading north?

I dunno, maybe to save lives from their Kilmallock station which they've often been called to N20 rtc's

direct road to Rourkes Cross from Kilmallock...I any case it still would be a Fire Engine or Appliance not a Brigade.

• Advertisement

Lads, that's the terminology I grew up with here there's no need to be pedantic about it

Two fire vehicles coming from Charleville town towards the crash scene. Three ambulances coming from Charleville and one that entered the town via the R515 Smiths Rd. Garda cars were obviously from Charleville too

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭annfield1978

A tender has come out on this to do some initial work in advance of the main procurement of a consultant

Via a TII Framework

A tender has come out on this to do some initial work in advance of the main procurement of a consultant

Via a TII Framework
    Was wondering when we'd hear about this, didn't expect it so early in the year. TII have only been given €1m for the year but good to see that it's being put to use straight away. Unlike Donohue & co they don't need to be reminded about the importance of the road.

Cheers for the information again annfield1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 David Tucker

Hi I am quoting, the post from end of January below. This is a good discusion for this post. I think Simon Coveneys strategic plan for the Irish Cities is the best hope for the road. I use the the length of the N20 6 times a week, to be honest it is not a bad road for much of its length. I ask the question who would use this road if it got built ? How would it benefit Cork or Limerick really ? And are the motorways safer than the current N20? I would like the road built but I think we are missing real reasons for building it. That is why real input from the framework is needed.
    David T.

Originally Posted by marno21 View Post
    - Metro North but there's a paragraph on the possibility of the M20 being brought forward as part of the Capital plan review in the Irish Times

- "Sources said the M20 option is the least likely for a number of reasons.
    Mr Donohoe’s revised capital plan will tie into Minister for Planning Simon Coveney’s upcoming national planning framework which aims to encourage population growth in a number of regional cities.

- It does not want to encourage so-called “ribbon development” of small clusters of homes off any new road such as the M20 but to further develop Cork and Limerick, in terms of population and infrastructure.
    Restricting development

- Planning restrictions – such as ensuring that the areas off the motorway are not zoned as residential – are an option if the M20 is to be developed.

- A longer-term view, according to one source, would be to wait for the cities to grow before building the M20.
    It was also pointed out, however, that building the motorway while restricting development along its route could also increase the population of Limerick and Cork. "

Who would us the M20? well in my opinion, the greatest use would be people from it's hinterland accessing Cork or Limerick including of course all those people who haven't died on the dangerous existing road.

Who would us the M20? well in my opinion, the greatest use would be people from it's hinterland accessing Cork or Limerick including of course all those people who haven't died on the dangerous existing road.

First of all the huge amount of people commuting from Mallow to Cork, also the sizeable amount commuting from Charleville and Mallow to Limerick/Shannon, would all use it.
    Secondly the huge amount of hgv traffic using the N72/73 through Mallow to access the M8 to Dublin,would use the M20 and then the M7 to get to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭threeball

Any Limerick to Cork motorway should not follow the current N20 but should instead follow the tipperary waterford road and merge with the m8 at cashel. The road could then in time continue to waterford taking in carrick on suir, clonmel etc. The N20 is quite sufficient as is if the trade and visting traffic were routed away towards mitchelstown/cashel.
    this would then mean you could get round the country from any major city/town to any other with relative ease.

threeball wrote: »
    Any Limerick to Cork motorway should not follow the current N20 but should instead follow the tipperary waterford road and merge with the m8 at cashel. The road could then in time continue to waterford taking in carrick on suir, clonmel etc. The N20 is quite sufficient as is if the trade and visting traffic were routed away towards mitchelstown/cashel.
    this would then mean you could get round the country from any major city/town to any other with relative ease.
    I don't disagree with you in any way shape or form, however, doing it along the N20 is probably the only way to reduce the number's killed on that death trap of a road

• Registered Users Posts: 18,177 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I dread to think of the nightmare that would be the Dunkettle interchange.

Would the route be any faster than just travelling the current N20?

• Advertisement

Cahir surely ?
    That route was examined as an option but the M20 is considered the better option by reason of cost and distance.

Advertisement