Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Byrne

• 07-09-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone know if he is still on the air? He used to present The Breakfast Show with Colette Fitzpatrick on Radio Ireland / Today FM before Ian Dempsey joined.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

AFAIK he became an airline pilot for Learyair. He sometimes pops up on the radio from time to time. I was there when he started on radio back in the 80's it was on a station on 312 meters MW in Cabinteely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Yes, heard he became a pilot and was flying for Ryanair and then Cityjet. Not sure what he's doing now.

Hasn't been on the air for many years afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Another one who became a pilot was Barry Lang - ex of 2FM - remember him?

I used to deal with him a bit, as I was responsible at the time for 2FM starting 'broadcasting' on the web.

Anyone know who he ended up flying for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Barry is a Captain for Gulfair - think he's based in Bahrain or somewhere like that.

Mark was doing VOs for Right Price Tiles etc up until maybe 2 years ago. Great jock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Worked with Mark for a while. Good guy and a great jock.

I remember first hearing him on Century. He then got about a bit. Was with 104, then went to 98 to present the Dawn Patrol. Left 98 to go to Radio Ireland/Today FM before he was shafted when Dempsey came in. He went back to 98 to do drive.

He then left 98 to become a pilot with Ryanair, altho he still did an occasional shift. Last time I heard him jocking was on Q, but that was a good while back. Shame he never got a shot at RTE as he would have been suited on 2FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

djsupreme wrote: »
    Worked with Mark for a while. Good guy and a great jock.

I remember first hearing him on Century. He then got about a bit. Was with 104, then went to 98 to present the Dawn Patrol. Left 98 to go to Radio Ireland/Today FM before he was shafted when Dempsey came in. He went back to 98 to do drive.

He then left 98 to become a pilot with Ryanair, altho he still did an occasional shift. Last time I heard him jocking was on Q, but that was a good while back. Shame he never got a shot at RTE as he would have been suited on 2FM.

In between Century Radio and FM104, Mark Byrne was also with Atlantic 252 from November 1991 to April 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Top bloke a good mate and mentor.

In my opinion one of the top ten Irish jocks of all time.

He was fresh on the hot hits sound of Sunshine, Century evenings and Atlantic 252. Still was also able to do the Hot/AC sound really well at 104, 98 and Today FM. Always easy on the ear and a quality listen.

He is a really nice guy too - very helpful.

Where are the NEW Mark Byrnes of this world coming from?
    It is anyone's guess.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Top bloke a good mate and mentor.

In my opinion one of the top ten Irish jocks of all time.

He was fresh on the hot hits sound of Sunshine, Century evenings and Atlantic 252. Still was also able to do the Hot/AC sound really well at 104, 98 and Today FM. Always easy on the ear and a quality listen.

He is a really nice guy too - very helpful.

Where are the NEW Mark Byrnes of this world coming from?
    It is anyone's guess.

:cool:

Nice to see you on boards Enda !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

Who remembers Mark's mystic character Danny Starr....Dublin's small medium at large!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

/Cleans thread...

Keep things on topic please.

And I don't appreciate people trying to drag mud in from other forums.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Agree with Enda. MB was a top jock - always thought he sounded great on Century in the evenings - pity that station didn't last very long.

He was badly treated by todayfm/radio direland too - got shafted from breakfast to make room for Ian Dempsey - they should have put him on afternoons or evenings instead.

Advertisement