Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10

Options
  • 07-09-2008 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

Howdy,

I need some help guys. For anyone who has seen my models before they are all cars apart from one build I did on her which was a bike.

As a kid like many other boys I built planes and boats. The usual airfix affair of all glue no paint and well you know urself. Anyway was in a toy store and picked up a 1/72 Revell Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-10 and must admit I am enjoying putting it together apart from one or two annoyances.

Anyway to the crux of my problem, does anyone have a simple paint scheme for this plane. I know nothing about planes apart from enjoying watching them in flight especially WWII single props, like the one I am building.

I will post pics at some stage but slit my finger earlier on the model trying to deepen the panel lines before sanding after i fixed the seam lines. That is one of my annoyances! The seam lines not the split finger!

Any help or advice please speak up (Dok for some reason I am looking your direction)

Ciaran

PS Sorry something I was thinking of there seems to be plenty of plastic model builders on this board, anyone interested in a meet up of some sort? show of models exchange ideas that sort of thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

jaysus.. you are really openin a can of worms askin "any simple paint schemes".. lol
    I have 3 books on the 109 G, and there are tons! and then the one on luftwaffe paint and markings... serious subject that ya could lead to fightin!

Do a quick google and you will get a few schemes. I love doing the "mottled" ones with the airbrush.
    Heres a few examples of what ya might find.
    http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2000/02/stuff_eng_profile_bf109.htm

Panel lines... right.. this is how I do it. I have a flexible steel ruler that I put along where I want the line to be. The steel ruler has a cork back so doesnt slip ( a fiver in woodies).
    Then with a modeling knife i run the back of the blade along the line, slowly.
    I also use a scribe to do this, specially if i want the lines to be deeper.

Next, when painting. "Preshade" the panel lines with matt black. i.e paint the panel lines black with the airbrush. You can do this fairly roughly. Then with what ever colour you are painting the plane with, slowly build up the colour using the airbrush. This will bring out the lines and also give it a kinda worn look.

last but not least.. meet ups.. I have joined up with IPMS which now has an irish branch. So far there has been 2 meetings in dublin, and last week ya missed a "workshop" on using airbrushes...
    Well worth joining, as this is a good society, with plenty of enthusiastic people. Shows bein organised etc... so, If you are interested pm and ill give you any details you want..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Dok,

Yeah had a feeling I might be opening a can of worms with the question but like I said know nothing about different liveries for planes and althought not pushed on being totally accurate first time dont want to do something totally off the mark. I did google it but all I could see was difficult liveries guess I will just have to bite the bullet!

Now another question the link for IPMS (Which is class by the way) has a number of different 109's what is the significane of the numbering after the 109, for instance the model I have is a G10 would it be accurate to use the livery from lets say the 109K4?

As for the meet up you know I completely forgot IPMS has an Irish branch now thanks for reminding me. The Airbrush "workshop" sounded great. Where were the meets in Dublin held? And yes please send on the details when you get a chance. Dying to see some of your models in person.

Cheers,
    C

What id suggest you do, is take one of the versions in the kit instructions and just go for it.
    Most of the 109s have a base colour of sky grey, which is a light bluish grey. Then over it on the fluslage there are one or two darker greys which are "mottled". The one thing that is people seem to find difficult is the "mottled" camoflauge... Its not all that hard to do. Use the airbrush, and if you have the ability to limit the paint flow, do so. Make it that just a TINY bit of paint comes out, and just take your time.

whats the worst that can happen?? u do it wrong, then just give it a coat of the sky grey and start again!
    Practise on some waste plastic.

Now here is somthing to remember. The colours. No one can really tell you for sure that they are wrong.
    I have a book, which is supposed to be the definitive guide to ww2 german aircraft colours. It comes with paint chips which were mixed according to some of the specifications from the time. The companies which originally made them were involved in recreating them.
    One thing the author reminds us is, paints were put on in the factories, in the field, over old colours, over different primers. Paint fades, it gets dirty etc. So they are never actually identical.
    So once id go with what the instructions have for now. Just so you can enjoy doing the model.

A 109 is somthing I have on the long finger. I want to do a detailed 1/32 one. Ive got a few books together, one on the G. There are so many varients its unreal! So just go fo it and enjoy it!

As for Ipms, there has been meetings in cork and limerick and things are lookin good. The meetings in Dublin so far have been in bray, the next one is also in bray.
    If anyone is interested in going Pm me, as I dont want to put peoples email addresses up with out their permission.

With the bad weather tonight, I decided to do a few drawings. :P
    Now, most of the earlier models were painted with the Type 5 pattern (see more below). Where RLM colours 70,71,65 were used.
    Where the upper camoflage meets the lower mottled part, it was usually faded.
    On the G6 onwards, Type 7 camoflage was used, on the G10, it was type 8 (very similar to type 7) though the colours used was RLM 74, 75, 76 as these paints were introduced in the latter part of the war.

So... Here are some G10s to give you an idea of what they should look like...

G10A.jpg
    Heres ne to show you its not always in the proper colours! this is in RLM 82 (pale green) 75, 76
    g10B.jpg
    And again, somthin different...all over RLM 76 (light blue)
    g10C.jpg

and another...
    g10D.jpg

Now.... here one of the original drawings for type 7 camo...This is a useful diagram, as you can see how the top of the fuslage and wings should be done with the angular pattern.
    The Colours used are RLM 74, 75, 76, 70, 02. (ill give a list of these below)
    Type7.jpg

Now.. heres a nice pic of a heap of late prod G-6s to give you an idea that a lot of the aircraft came outta the factory looking the same.
    g6-pic.jpg

Now what ive said above, doesnt mean a if you do somthing different that you are wrong!! cos at the end of the day, things were done in the field, second hand parts used etc etc.

But anyway, here is some of the RLM colours. There wasnt any real point in scanning paint chips, as they wont look right.

RLM 70 SCHWARZGRÜN (black green)(XF27)
    RLM 71 DUNKELGRÜN (dark green)(XF 62:1 + XF49:1)
    RLM 65 HELLBLAU (light blue)(XF23:1 + XF02:1)
    RLM 74 GRÜNGRAU (grey green)(XF24:3 + XF27:2)
    RLM 75 GRAUVIOLETT (grey violet)(XF24:5 + XF50:1
    RLM 76 LICHTBLAU (light blue)(XF02:7 + XF23:1 + XF66:2)
    RLM 02 RLM GRAU (grey)(XF22: 1 + XF49:1)

now.. heres a thing.. colour descriptions.. they all are standard colours, the number is the all important part. Often you will see different name for the sam RLM number. So dont go by the description. For example 65 and 76 are both often called Lichtblau (light blue) but they are slightly different. (but would anyone notice??lol)
    some of the model paint manufacturers use these RLM numbers.
    Above I also gave the tamiya XF colours to mix to get pretty good approxamations of the colours. I compared these to my colour chips and it looks pretty good.

Ted: "You dont have anything from the ... Allied side?"
    Father Fitzpatrick: "No no.. thats sort of thing wouldnt interest me at all, im afraid"

Bet ya wish ya never asked! Ducatis are easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

...and to make it even more complicated G-10s were late war fighters so a new 8line colours were used on them as well. Like RLM81, RLM83 an do son :D

But you have asked for simple colour scheme. And you get it, those bellow are the easiest and unusual schemes I have found:

No.44 is in RLM76 over all
    Polish LW from 318 Sq is in standard RAF colours
    Czech V-9 is in RLM02
    Czech EV-11 RLM76 top, RLM 75 under, dark red trim

All coulours are probable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Dok - How would I put it cause "sorry I asked" is an understatement....nah only kidding that is a wealth of info. Your right though sticking to Ducati's and the cars would be a better ides! Seriously though have you nothing better to be doing then typing and scanning all that?

Fise - Ah man come on did you not read my first post I am trying to make things simple! nah only kidding really appreciate the help.

Oh Dok I will see you at the next IPMS meet in Dublin, will defo be attending.

On hols from Saturday for a week so when I get back I hope to get some work done on it and get some pics up.
    Ciaran

well you just got lucky cos ive been researchin the 109g for a while... though havent bought or decided what im actually gonna do!.
    And sure i actually read "luftwaffe colours and markings" from cover to cover! Sad or what?? lol
    but you will pick up a lot from the lads at IPMS, there are some far more accomplished aircraft guys involved in that (fise for one)

No, am not an a/c guy at all... Just basics and a few mags...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

I'm not into building models but I do collect military stuff. I have a Corgi 50th anniversary Messerschmitt, it is one of the designs with the complete yellow nose and to me that makes the whole plane look so cool, I would recomend going with a paint scheme that includes that.

They do look cool, but that wouldn't be 'G' type though. I think that this was usual on earlier 'E' types. I think anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement