Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB "Switch" Current Account - Advantages/Disadvantages?

Options
  • 07-09-2008 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I currently have a current account with AIB and lately I've been thinking of switching to Permanent TSB's "Switch" current account.

Can anyone suggest any advantages and disadvantages they've experienced with this PTSB account, and how it fares against AIB's current account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I have both. PTSB's internet banking service is very primitive compared with AIB's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

I bank with PTSB, never had any problems with them, though I've a student account, and my extent of contact with them since setting it up was reporting a lost ATM card- which they were nice about. Though I agree the online banking could be much, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I switched a few years ago when they first started it. I found that they didn't switch over my direct debits as they had advertised and I had to set them up myself again but otherwise it when smoothly. I'd imagine they fixed that by now though.

I definitely enjoy the fee free banking. Before that I was being charged 17 cents (I believe it was) every time I took out money or used my Laser card with BOI. The internet banking gets the job done but probably isn't the best out of all the Irish banks but I think they are looking to upgrade it as they've been doing surveys recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

i switched over a while ago. i had tried switching from AIB to UB but they messed it up hugely...but switching from UB to PTSB was grand! and it's all for free too.

i like they're internet banking, as it's better than UB and EBS. and the phoneline is alright too. it'd be good if they had a eSaver like UB or FA tho.

PTSB are a grand bank, and they have nice little features like the personalised card which is free at the moment, and i can get balances by text messge and make transfers, and i get a text when i have a large amount lodged to he account, or a large withdrawal.

i'd recommend them for a current account no prob (plus it earns interest)!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

PTSB internet banking is very primative... You cannot even forward payements. You have to call or write to get payment accounts put onto the system.

I Still switched from AIB 2 years ago as there petty bank charges were just a pain and annoyed me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I've found their internet banking adequate - it does everything you would ordinarily need it to do (I'm comparing it to my experience with AIB net banking). The user-interface may not be as swish but there are no serious shortcomings, or even minor ones that I've noticed.

You can't transfer money to a foreign bank account with PTSB's internet banking service. You can with AIB. This is one of the reasons I prefer AIB's internet banking service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

For those saying the online banking is primitive, it is pretty damn secure tho.

While ya might not appreciate having to ring up to add a bank account to your online banking then wait for a call back, it's still quicker than say BoI [?] which sends you out a pin code to finalise account info 3 days later.

Nee a prob with PTSB myself, with them years at this stage. Open24 phoneline peeps are always well helpful any time I ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

For those saying the online banking is primitive, it is pretty damn secure tho.

There are better ways - eg AIB's code card, NIB's security systems etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

garyh3 wrote: »
    PTSB internet banking is very primative... You cannot even forward payements.

Yes you can, i have.
    garyh3 wrote:
    You have to call or write to get payment accounts put onto the system. /QUOTE]

Thats a security feature, only takes a few minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

benifa wrote: »
    You can't transfer money to a foreign bank account with PTSB's internet banking service. You can with AIB. This is one of the reasons I prefer AIB's internet banking service.

Yes you can, i have so i don't know where you're going wrong.

brian_ire wrote: »
    Yes you can, i have so i don't know where you're going wrong.

How have you? Even PTSB say you can't.

Yes you can, i have.
    garyh3 wrote:
    You have to call or write to get payment accounts put onto the system. /QUOTE]

Thats a security feature, only takes a few minutes

It doesn't take only a few minutes. You have to wait a couple of hours (usually) for a callback from another agent, in order to setup a new payee in your internet banking setup. How an outbound call is more secure than an inbound call I'm yet to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

I Just Use the BIC and IBand number is easier that way.

Still you cannot forward date a payment.... Which is very annoying ??? should be simple enough and Ive asked PTSB to be put on the wish list .....

I wonder how long that's going to take probably as long as them going to Chip and PIN :rolleyes:

garyh3 wrote: »
    I Just Use the BIC and IBand number is easier that way.

Online? Using the PTSB internet banking service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

To compare PTSB and AIB, I suppose you have to tell us what you are looking for!

I suppose the first thing to ask is why you are thinking of leaving AIB?

How have you? Even PTSB say you can't.

Ok well you can, you can do an international transfer to any bank that is part of the Single Euro Payment Area (SEPA) with PTSB.

Ok well you can, you can do an international transfer to any bank that is part of the Single Euro Payment Area (SEPA) with PTSB.

Would you mind sharing how? Because I can't find how you do it, and PTSB say you can't do it. The inability to transfer to funds internationally is one of the key reasons I prefer AIB's internet banking service over PTSB's.

Would you mind sharing how? Because I can't find how you do it, and PTSB say you can't do it. The inability to transfer to funds internationally is one of the key reasons I prefer AIB's internet banking service over PTSB's.

Ring up, set up the transfer on you're account and you're away! PTSB have been able to do this for at least over half a year now, if not longer so i find it hard to believe that PTSB are saying to you that you can't do it (unless you are referring to prior to this when they didn't have this facility)

Best of luck!

Ring up, set up the transfer on you're account and you're away! PTSB have been able to do this for at least over half a year now, if not longer so i find it hard to believe that PTSB are saying to you that you can't do it (unless you are referring to prior to this when they didn't have this facility)

Best of luck!

I am bemused. It was only 6 months ago that a rang up, complaining to PTSB that I couldn't make international transfers online, using their service. I shall call them again tomorrow. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I think PTSB can do international transfers online if it's a European account but not elsewhere. I tried to set this up for my US bank account but they said I'd have to visit one of their branches to such a transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I switched three years ago from AIB. PTSB chaned all my direct debits. But the egits on 24hr banking with ptsb feck up my mortgage standing order to AIB. Which I had to sort out. If I hadnt worked in banking before they still would of messed it up again the following mnth.
    But hey its the same for every bank
    Was the BOI years ago - biggest egits going.

Advertisement