Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor 3g now availiable

• 07-09-2008 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

meteor 3g is now available in dublin, call into a meteor store they will give you a 3g sim card,
    it coming to cork soon enough!!!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

It will go live towards the end of this month (September 26th I think).

Once it does there will be no need to get a 3G SIM, all current SIM's in a 3G handset within a 3G area will automatically switch over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

i rang customer care earlier , that what i wa told, what offers you think they'll release? free video calls till after christmas?

I think you were given a bit of wrong information there.

3G is up and running for a number of customers who signed up to the 3G trial but apart from that everyone else will have to wait until the launch date which should be September 26th.

Getting a 3G SIM isn't going to make a blind bit of difference because your account will also need to be provisioned for 3G services. This will automatically happen on launch date and not beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i've had 3g on my phone in several places around the city the past few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ablelocks

in limerick - I can see Meteor 3g in my network list, but get a "no access" message when I try to connect to it. could this mean that 3g will be rolled out in limerick sooner than later?

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i've had 3g on my phone in several places around the city the past few days
    Did you happen to be on the 3G trial by any chance?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

7.Ronaldo wrote: »
    Did you happen to be on the 3G trial by any chance?
    Do trialists still get 3G access?

Yeah. They are fully provisioned for 3G so will be able to use 3G services but they will now have to pay for their data.

Non-trialists will need to wait until the launch to avail of 3G services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Do trialists still get 3G access?
    We sure do.

My 3g is still working perfectly. 'Tis expensive though.

it's not fully switched on yet. During the trial i had 3g in loads of places including work but since the end of the trial i've only seen 3g on my phone twice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

it's not fully switched on yet. During the trial i had 3g in loads of places including work but since the end of the trial i've only seen 3g on my phone twice
    /looks for phone to verify that he has 3g.
    /remembers he lost his phone on Saturday night and has to wait until this evening to get it back.
    /curses.

forget what i said about no 3g at work. i forgot i'd switched off 3g because there's only a tiny amount of 3g coverage in my house which the phone keeps trying to latch onto with the result that i have no coverage at all. but there was definitely no 3g coverage last week which supports the idea that they're gradually turning it back on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

I was on the trial and for the last few days I've had really good 3G coverage in Kildare where I never had it before.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

We sure do.

My 3g is still working perfectly. 'Tis expensive though.
    Ah grand.. I havent been in the city since the trial ended...

No wait i have....

I never bothered to check actually :o

forget what i said about no 3g at work. i forgot i'd switched off 3g because there's only a tiny amount of 3g coverage in my house which the phone keeps trying to latch onto with the result that i have no coverage at all. but there was definitely no 3g coverage last week which supports the idea that they're gradually turning it back on
    Nope. It hasn't changed. The 3G network is as it was for the trial. It is only available for those who were on the trial and those who have had their accounts provisioned for 3G (ie staff members).

Everybody will be provisioned on the launch date but the first phase sites are up and running.

Nope. It hasn't changed. The 3G network is as it was for the trial. It is only available for those who were on the trial and those who have had their accounts provisioned for 3G (ie staff members).

Everybody will be provisioned on the launch date but the first phase sites are up and running.

hmmm odd because in the days after the trial i couldn't pick up 3g coverage in places i had before and others reported the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

I have an unlocked 3G phone with a very old meteor sim (2003). Turned on my phone just now and it connected to vodafone instead of meteor. Could this be to do with the transition to 3G?

\edit\ Btw, its still only EDGE (2.5G?) not 3G.

went to meteor today in cork, they arent getting them in till tomorrow and i can get one, so yeah........

I have an unlocked 3G phone with a very old meteor sim (2003). Turned on my phone just now and it connected to vodafone instead of meteor. Could this be to do with the transition to 3G?

\edit\ Btw, its still only EDGE (2.5G?) not 3G.
    What area are you in? If your on the West coast you will pick up Vodafone due to Meteor's national roaming agreement with Vodafone.

If you are anywhere else in the country then you shouldn't be able to connect to Vodafone with a Meteor SIM.

metalfest wrote: »
    went to meteor today in cork, they arent getting them in till tomorrow and i can get one, so yeah........
    Like I said. It won't make any difference if you weren't part of the 3G trial. Your account needs to be provisioned for 3G, having a 3G SIM in itself will not allow you to use 3G services.

It is too late to get your account provisioned at this stage. If you were not part of the 3G trial you will have to wait until the service is officially launched, 3G SIM or no 3G SIM.

• Advertisement

yeah maybe...but at least i'll beat the rush :)

yeah maybe...but at least i'll beat the rush :)
    No you won't. When 3G is launched ALL current SIM cards will be able to pick up 3G signal. You won't specifically need a 3G SIM. That was only for the 3G trial.

No you won't. When 3G is launched ALL current SIM cards will be able to pick up 3G signal. You won't specifically need a 3G SIM. That was only for the 3G trial.

you say that all that's required to activate 3g is for customer care to provision you but then why did everyone who was going on the trial need a new sim? could cc not just have provisioned them?

if so then why when i asked in meteor about 3g did the man say they will have them in tomorrow???

and if you dont need a "3g" sim card why do they have them???

if so then why when i asked in meteor about 3g did the man say they will have them in tomorrow???

tbh i wouldn't trust what a guy in the store said

they may not. vodafone don't have specific 3g sims but o2 do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

3G SIMs generally provide more memory and support newer features (not really many though I guess). O2 and Vodafone both have 2g and 3g SIMs and 3g (in general, obviously not with billion year old SIMs) will work on both. It would really be surprised if Meteor wanted their whole network to come into shops on the day the 3g launches proper !

well i'll be going in tomorrow so i'll let you know

They had them for the purposes of the 3G trial so only a select few could use 3G services.

Once the 3G network launches ALL current Meteor SIM cards will be able to pick up 3G coverage as long as they are in a 3G phone and in a 3G area.

It wouldn't be practical for Meteor to hand out nearly one million new SIM cards on launch day. Get the 3G SIM if you want but as I said it won't make any difference.

• Advertisement

do you have one? or are you just guessing??
    and when i the launch date? cc told me 29th

Advertisement