Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor 3g now availiable

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rebelnorrie

quick question....well maybe the answer is in the question.....but anyway here goes.......i have a 2G first gen iphone currently using edge on meteor.......when the 3g network is released will this have any effect on my connection speed, or am i capped at 2G by the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

quick question....well maybe the answer is in the question.....but anyway here goes.......i have a 2G first gen iphone currently using edge on meteor.......when the 3g network is released will this have any effect on my connection speed, or am i capped at 2G by the phone?

You are limited to the speed the handset supports so in your case EDGE is the fastest you'll be able to receive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rebelnorrie

poo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

yup,but a good EDGE connection ain't the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

To be honest, I found Meteors EDGE speeds on the original iPhone much better and more reliable than O2s 3G speeds on the new 3G iPhone. Their 3G isn't bad but it's very unpredictable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

chrislad wrote: »
    To be honest, I found Meteors EDGE speeds on the original iPhone much better and more reliable than O2s 3G speeds on the new 3G iPhone. Their 3G isn't bad but it's very unpredictable.

To be honest, given the amount of complaints worldwide with it, that sounds like it may be the iPhone rather than o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

ProjectC wrote: »
    they have a roaming agreement for the gaps..they cover alot of the country...more than you think
    The National Roaming Agreement only covers part of the west coast. Galway and Donegal were the main areas but there's no longer a deal in place for Galway so apart from Donegal, Sligo etc... Meteor pretty much have the rest of the country covered.

I'd love to see an actual % of complaints. There's, what, 10 million iPhone 3Gs sold since launch, worldwide? I'd suspect a case of the few shouting loudest than a general issue. I'm getting a lot more reliable speeds since I got the 2.1 upgrade but even so, Meteors EDGE is coming in close to O2 3G speeds via ipodtouchspeedtest.com (or something like that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd love to see an actual % of complaints. There's, what, 10 million iPhone 3Gs sold since launch, worldwide? I'd suspect a case of the few shouting loudest than a general issue. I'm getting a lot more reliable speeds since I got the 2.1 upgrade but even so, Meteors EDGE is coming in close to O2 3G speeds via ipodtouchspeedtest.com (or something like that)

Don't know about complaints but I know returns are high. Wasn't told the breakdown regarding issues with the returned units though. The 3G reception/speed problem has been acknowledged by Apple.

And supposedly fixed in the last firmware upgrade, 2.1, released last Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

And supposedly fixed in the last firmware upgrade, 2.1, released last Friday.
    I updated mine to 2.1 on wednesday & I use it on Meteor. Since the update I have seen a huge improvement in signal strength in areas where before I would have had no or very low signal. Battery life has improved at least 30% too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Is the samsung tocco a 3g phone??

I;ve got the blue E edge symbol on my phone at the min in cavan

dlambirl wrote: »

It is indeed.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    It is indeed.

thanks, nice one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

dlambirl wrote: »

You've got a 3G phone in a non 3G area so EDGE is the best you can hope for in Cavan. If you travel to Dublin or Cork though you should pick up 3G coverage.

there is o2 3g coverage where i am........so hopefully not have to wait too long (i.e 10 years!!) for 3g coverage!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Have 3G coverage in Dublin port at the minute.

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Have 3G coverage in Dublin port at the minute.

Managed to make a video call to a friend of mine whos on Meteor too last night

Has anyone ran some speed tests when using Meteor's 3G network? I have got approximately 160 Kbps download speed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I have over in the 3G trial thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I have over in the 3G trial thread.
    Which is located here.

I'm far more helpful.

Thank you both. I thought I'd ask the question here anyway as I imagine speeds will have changed since the trial since more people are now using the 3G network.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Which is located here.

I'm far more helpful.
    I was early in the morning.. I was gonna link later :)

Got a letter from them today saying it was rolled out and they were offering two data packs along with it. IIRC, it's €9.99 for 250mb or €30 for unlimited data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Got a letter from them today saying it was rolled out and they were offering two data packs along with it. IIRC, it's €9.99 for 250mb or €30 for unlimited data.
    Billpay only I take it?

I'm guessing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Can somebody clarify something. Recently moved back to Maynooth, and I've had my Meteor PAYG SIM since December. I've a Nokia N73, and out of curiosity I put the phone into "Dual Mode". It found a 3G signal, connected and worked.

But, shouldn't I have to get a 3G SIM? It seems a bit odd that I didn't...or am I just not understanding something here?

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    Can somebody clarify something. Recently moved back to Maynooth, and I've had my Meteor PAYG SIM since December. I've a Nokia N73, and out of curiosity I put the phone into "Dual Mode". It found a 3G signal, connected and worked.

But, shouldn't I have to get a 3G SIM? It seems a bit odd that I didn't...or am I just not understanding something here?

You don't need a 3G sim to access Meteor's 3G network as Meteor have made it so that any Meteor user can access the 3G network so long as they are in 3G network coverage.

Just read the letter I got and you need to be on Talk 400 or higher to get the Unlimited pack which is a bit strange. Hopefully they come out with more tarrifs like their current free calls/texts and what not

• Advertisement
Advertisement