Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of car registrations/years in the UK

Options
  • 07-09-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hey all!

I'm new to here, and after reading all of the great deals to be had in the UK I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge!

There's a car I've had my eye on for a weeks now, and well would I be right in thinking that in the UK they change the registration plates in September?

I know nothing about how the UK system works with regards to the reg plates changing every year, all I know is that is happens more often than over here and is more complicated than our yearly change on Jan 1st every year.

How exactly does it work over there? Is september the start of a new year for them?

Just wondering, what with us being in Sept now, would I have more bargaining power now given that they're into a new reg plate system, thus making the car I'm interested in even older? Or have I got it all backwards??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,363 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

basically they have a plate change around march and september. the plate for january of this year would have been 57. then come march they changed to 08 and then onto 58plate towards the later half of the year (around now) So you could buy an early 2008 car which could have a 57 plate which will soon be 2 regs old over there however will still be a 2008 reg over here.
    a car on a 57 plate over there would obviously be worth much less than an 08 or 58 plate but might suit you just as good here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Hi Mick,

Thanks for that info!

The car I'm looking at is a 06, it actually has "06" in it's reg too - I checked and it was registered 1st March 2006.

Due to the fact that the new plates are being issued this month, do you reckon I'll have more bargaining power now to get a better price because of this? Or would it make much difference at all?

Tbh, it makes no difference down here as when I re-register it will get 06 plates anyhow regardless, but could this make a difference price wise in the UK?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The September change really only affects prices on the same year earlier reg'd cars. January first still has a larger effect on the bulk of prior year cars. i.e. That car is still a two year old car in August and September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

since the twice yearly number change came in, it has reduced the depreciation that used to happen on August 1st every year.

There are still a lot of people who want the latest number plate though, so september should be a good time, however, the UK car market is on its arse at the moment so it is a good time all round to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

boardsie08 wrote: »
    Hi Mick,

Thanks for that info!

The car I'm looking at is a 06, it actually has "06" in it's reg too - I checked and it was registered 1st March 2006.

Due to the fact that the new plates are being issued this month, do you reckon I'll have more bargaining power now to get a better price because of this? Or would it make much difference at all?

Tbh, it makes no difference down here as when I re-register it will get 06 plates anyhow regardless, but could this make a difference price wise in the UK?

Thanks!

No if you could find a late 55 plate (jan 06 on) of the same model car it would probably be cheaper and when you register it here you will still get a 06 plate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Related question - if you bring in an 06 car is the Irish road tax payable based on the co2 emissions or on the old CC based system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Pete67 wrote: »
    Related question - if you bring in an 06 car is the Irish road tax payable based on the co2 emissions or on the old CC based system?

Some of the regulars will tell you that it's been done to death but the Irish Motor tax (don't mean to be picky but Road tax doesn't exist here!) will be the old cc based one.

Advertisement