Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random attack on car

Options
  • 07-09-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Firstly I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong section could a mod please move it!

At about 9pm tonight I was in the car(as a passenger) on the Kylemore road heading towards Ballyfermot when some c**t in an oncoming car threw a bottle directly at the driver in my car. Fortunately no one was hurt but it did smash/crack the windshield and gave everyone quite a freight. Unfortunately with the speed in which things happened and also the fact it was dark ment that we didn't get the reg or even a good description of the car the scum were driving. Now as I said no one was hurt but this easily could've have turned out alot worse, as anyone can imagine if we were traveling at about 30mph and the other car going at least 30mph in the other direction then=60mph bottle. Aimed at someone driving a car. Not good. This seems to have been completely at random and it is worrying to think there are "people" out there that get their kicks doing something like this. I don't know if this is just a once off or if it happens regularly(heard of people having eggs etc thrown at them from cars on this particular road and elsewhere but never had anything happen like this before, and I've driven up the Kylemore road nearly daily) but just to warn people to be on the lookout. Also if anyone has had anything similar happen to them then especially around the area then I'd be interested to hear. Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

That really sucks, the mere fact somebody would do that just for a kick. Being the person I am, whether a good thing or bad thing I'd probably swing right around and follow to get a reg and ring the gardai asap.

Sorry to hear that OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Sashy

OMG, I cant understand what these low life scumbags think they are doing.
    I havnt had anything like this happen to me before thankfully, but thanks for letting us know what they are capable of.

Life must be really bad (pathetic, sad) for some of these people when the only bit of fun they can get is doing things like this to other people. Sad ****ers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

At least you weren't injured, and the insurance company will pick up the bill for the windscreen.
    Agree with sashy; Makes you wonder what sort of life they have and how they were brought up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I hate that, such a pity.

I've only had an egg throw at my car by some young fella's, i slammed the breaks and two of us got out of the car and ran towards them, they weren't too long running away then. It's such a pity when things like this happen because it comes out of the victims pocket.

If ye had gotten the reg. or something justice could of been served. Sorry to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

Thanks HungryJoey! Yea it's shocking what some people find "funny". If I was driving I probably would have went back to try get the reg, but there were too many cars oncoming/following us to do a safe u-turn in time to follow. In fact there was at least one car following directly behind the car in which the bottle came from-which actually blocked me from seeing the reg when I looked back. I hope whoever was in that following car had the initiative to report the incident-although I'd imagine they were in on it too.:mad: And I forgot to mention in the original post that it wasn't as if it was just our car and the oncoming car on the road at the time- there were a fair few cars around-it was 9pm on a moderately busy road, with people/kids out on the path. The bottle could have easily missed the car and hit someone. Do people have no fear or respect anymore?!

/rant

*edit*
    Thanks for all the replies! Yes it just boggles the mind what people must have gone through to reduce them to that level. And yes nothing the insurance won't fix and at least everyones ok. I'm sure whoever is responsible for this will no doubt end up stepping on the wrong toes and get what they deserve eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

HungryJoey wrote: »
    That really sucks, the mere fact somebody would do that just for a kick. Being the person I am, whether a good thing or bad thing I'd probably swing right around and follow to get a reg and ring the gardai asap.

Sorry to hear that OP.

It really is a sad life these people have when they don't have a clue just how dangerous something like this is! Following the car as the op sadly couldn't due to other cars in the way is not always wise. The garda wouldn't do anything simply because there's no hard evidence of the incident so it would be left open.

I hope someday one of these sick twisted people have a bottle/item thrown at their car so they can see what its like.
    luckily your insurance will cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Sashy

Agree with Colm there, you were very lucky that noone got hurt. And those ****ers you would really wonder goes through their heads (though prob wouldn want to know all the same). Did they ever think to themselves that they could hurt someone real bad, let alone drive off and not even know or give or give a ****!!!
    Sorry bout all the bad language here but this kind of thing really annoys me, doing things to people for no reason whatsoever.

I have a saying, what goes around comes around even if it takes year and when it does it will hurt them more... I hope it does on them blanco, that could have been very serious thankfully it wasnt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had someone throw and miss (by miles, think he underestimated the speed I was doing) a bottle at my car on the Kylemore Road beside the canal about 3 months ago. I suspect most of you know whats alongside the canal there... if I have to go down there at night I do the obnoxious thing of throwing my foglights and full beams if nobodies coming the opposite way so I can see any scumbags around.

Just reread that and saw the bit about it coming from an oncoming car - my 'technique' wouldn't have done anything then!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you know what kind of car or what colour it was?
    Report it to the gardai - they may be able to look it up as I'd be fairly sure that there are cameras around that area - its possible that the feckers may have been spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sashy wrote: »
    I have a saying, what goes around comes around even if it takes year and when it does it will hurt them more...

It's called Karma, and it'll come back on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

ehhhh...what were you at driving on the kylemore road at night???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

MYOB wrote: »
    I suspect most of you know whats alongside the canal there...

Indeed many do and many who know the area suspect who the likely culprits are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Why didn't you go after them??? I read the thread, to be honest you could have made more of an effort to chase down these c*nts, traffic or no traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

congo_90 wrote: »
    It really is a sad life these people have when they don't have a clue just how dangerous something like this is! Following the car as the op sadly couldn't due to other cars in the way is not always wise. The garda wouldn't do anything simply because there's no hard evidence of the incident so it would be left open.

I hope someday one of these sick twisted people have a bottle/item thrown at their car so they can see what its like.
    luckily your insurance will cover

I never stated it was a wise thing to do or the right thing, but that would be just me - I wouldn't be as forgiving.

OP, There is alot of these threads popping up recently so you aren't alone in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

This kind of thing is one of the side effects of all the prosperity. Now that the crunch has come there are going to be more bitter people around willing to do even more crazy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

@Bearcat

Unfortunatly we were dropping our friend home to clonsilla, so I reckoned it wouldn't be life threatening driving down a fairly busy public road at 9pm on a sunday night:rolleyes:
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    Why didn't you go after them??? I read the thread, to be honest you could have made more of an effort to chase down these c*nts, traffic or no traffic...

Yes I do agree with you Darragh, but I wasn't driving. I'd imagine it would have been a different story had I have been but I felt the driver was probably a little in shock and after all it was his car and the last thing he needed was someone shouting at him to go after the scum! You see it happened so fast that we were just dumbstruck for about 5 seconds before it hit home, meaning they were long gone. The incident happened just after a junction, meaning they could've went into a maze of a housing estate or into the industrial estate further down. Both of which they probably knew like the back of the hands. But yes I understand what you mean and it is a pity we didn't get the reg.

@kbannon

Reported it straight away, obviously with very little info there was not much they could do except file a report but they know about it anyway and hopefully they'll be on the lookout or at least alerted in some way as to what they're dealing with!

-Blanco- wrote: »
    @Bearcat

Unfortunatly we were dropping our friend home to clonsilla, so I reckoned it wouldn't be life threatening driving down a fairly busy public road at 9pm on a sunday night:rolleyes:

Yes I do agree with you Darragh, but I wasn't driving. I'd imagine it would have been a different story had I have been but I felt the driver was probably a little in shock and after all it was his car and the last thing he needed was someone shouting at him to go after the scum! You see it happened so fast that we were just dumbstruck for about 5 seconds before it hit home, meaning they were long gone. The incident happened just after a junction, meaning they could've went into a maze of a housing estate or into the industrial estate further down. Both of which they probably knew like the back of the hands. But yes I understand what you mean and it is a pity we didn't get the reg.

@kbannon

Reported it straight away, obviously with very little info there was not much they could do except file a report but they know about it anyway and hopefully they'll be on the lookout or at least alerted in some way as to what they're dealing with!

This happened me last year just before Christmas when I was driving down the M50, a gang of scumbags were throwing bricks down onto the motorway and one of them came through my windscreen. I was mad with rage when it happened, I pulled in further down the road and climbed up the embankment to catch even one of the group, they didn't know that I'd done this and kept on throwing bricks down onto the road. I found a leg of a table on my way up to them, unfortunately they saw me approaching abd scarpered, if I had have caught one of them, I'd probably be in prison now doing time for what I would have done had I caught one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This happened me last year just before Christmas when I was driving down the M50, a gang of scumbags were throwing bricks down onto the motorway and one of them came through my windscreen. I was mad with rage when it happened, I pulled in further down the road and climbed up the embankment to catch even one of the group, they didn't know that I'd done this and kept on throwing bricks down onto the road. I found a leg of a table on my way up to them, unfortunately they saw me approaching abd scarpered, if I had have caught one of them, I'd probably be in prison now doing time for what I would have done had I caught one of them.

It didn't cross your mind to ring the gardai? After all, a brick thrown from a bridge onto traffic could kill someone.

peasant wrote: »
    It didn't cross your mind to ring the gardai? After all, a brick thrown from a bridge onto traffic could kill someone.

That was the first thing I did, a traffic cop came on a bike, he was decent, I thought I'd need some sort of record from the station if I was putting through the insurance. He said that the same gang had been throwing bricks down onto the road an hour earlier and that a brick had gone through someone's sunroof and your man was in hospital now because the brick after going through the sunroof, got his head and cut his head open. If your caught doing something like this, you should be fined a 4 digit figure and if your a minor, the 4 digit fine should be doubled and handed to your parents with an enforcemnent notice attached to it. I was in Portugal recently and I noticed straight away that I couldn't see any scum over there, people out to cause this type of trouble, it just didn't happen. I think it's a problem specific to our lovely little island to be honest...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

jesus thank god their was no injurys, and that it was a bottle (still bad, but could of been a brick or something worse).

The amount of scumbags in this country is making it harder to own anything valuable. When I was driving through a city one night, scumbags stopped their car infront and tried to pull off my front bumper.. I mean wtf?

• Advertisement

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    jesus thank god their was no injurys, and that it was a bottle (still bad, but could of been a brick or something worse).

The amount of scumbags in this country is making it harder to own anything valuable. When I was driving through a city one night, scumbags stopped their car infront and tried to pull off my front bumper.. I mean wtf?

I'm originally from Palmerstown which is beside Ballyer and one of my mates had a scanner a few years ago and we used to listen to the Gardai on it. I remember hearing on several occasions that they would be pursuing a suspect in a car and then he would turn off the Kylemore Road and go into a halting site that is there just across from The Sheldon Hotel. I don't know why, but the Gardai won't go in there after a suspect. Yeah, I know, it could have been anyone, not necessarily a member of the travelling community, wasn't implying this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

that sucks man, i had my left mirror ripped off my car the other night by some scumbag walking along the street

anyone know of a volkswagen dealer around Glasnevin? google is not helping :|

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Finch* wrote: »
    anyone know of a volkswagen dealer around Glasnevin? google is not helping :|

Finch, have a look here:
    http://www.volkswagen.ie/Dealers/index.cfm

As far as what happened to the OP, I'm glad no one was hurt.. what scumbag in their right mind would do that???? Bloody psycho.. Something like Begbie from Trainspotting would do..

linky

:mad: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I'm originally from Palmerstown which is beside Ballyer and one of my mates had a scanner a few years ago and we used to listen to the Gardai on it. I remember hearing on several occasions that they would be pursuing a suspect in a car and then he would turn off the Kylemore Road and go into a halting site that is there just across from The Sheldon Hotel. I don't know why, but the Gardai won't go in there after a suspect. Yeah, I know, it could have been anyone, not necessarily a member of the travelling community, wasn't implying this...

I know why they won't go in. I know two people who've had the misfortune of going in there, one who didn't know the area and wanted to turn around after missing a turnoff, and the other much more misfortunate person who had broken down and wanted to pull in off the road and pulled in there before realising where it was.
    In both cases within a split second the cars were surrounded with hands banging on the windows and the bodywork, trying to open doors and boot. Luckilly the person who was just turning had the doors locked and just kept moving slowly so managed to complete the manouver and get the hell out of there.
    The brakedown case, the doors weren't locked the car was quickly emptied of anything worthwhile (not much thankfully), they tried to pull the car further into the site and they abused the driver. Only for the fact that the Gardai do regular checks on the site and happened to come along, it could have turned really nasty. The Gardai waited there until a tow truck came to move the car.

Advertisement