Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone hsdpa prob

Options
  • 07-09-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭

really getting to get pissed off with vodafone 3g broadband

i can get Hsdpa but it only lasts a short time

4 bar HSDPA

and then it goes back to 3G and then im ****ed

it seems when my modem goes to 3G the websites wont open

i use this http://www.poyntingdirect.co.za/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ADPT-024
    which is connected to a aerial outside my house which points to the cashel mast

this gives me 2 -3 extra bars of signal

and i find it quite strange that i move the E220 modem towards the window and reduces the signal

i also have a 2meter usb cable for the e220 but still no help

so any help would be appricated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I tested those. Waste of time. You need a modem that has an aerial plug, Those gadgets are just two aerials with a cable between. Unless the cable is very low loss, and you have good outdoor aerial and indoors screened from signal there is no advantage,

If you move the two ends close to each other it will "cancel" out.

The other problem is that if there are 24 other users or lots of phone calls or some combination there is no HSDPA available, only 3G (384k max) and if losts of users / calls then no data as there might not be 384k left and voice calls get priority. If the mast sector capacity for data is "maxed out" then you get only 3G signal and no data connection.

Your only options are (in no particular order):
    1) Move house to get real fixed broadband.
    2) Retry all the Wireless fixed Broadband providers
    3) Get a GSM/EDGE/3G/HSDPA modem (PCMCIA, Express, USB or Router based) that has a real aerial socket.
    4) Try O2 (They have fall back to 240k EDGE on GSM, thus more capacity and range)
    5) Two way Satellite is about 100 Eur a month but works better than HSDPA. Not very portable or Mobile :(

It's time the Consumer protection agencies and Comreg forbid calling EDGE/3G/HSDPA/HSUPA broadband. It isn't. It's flat rate fast dialup connection Mobile Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

thanks watty for the advice

but i find it difficult to understand that i have a full 3G signal but still wont open the pages until i get a hsdpa signal

very strange

ill have to sit down with myself and see is it worth it

about ure options

what do you mean by a GSM/EDGE/3G/HSDPA modem (PCMCIA, Express, USB or Router based) that has a real aerial socket.

and about Wireless fixed Broadband providers

there is a mast where i live but its been blocked by trees:mad:

is 02 edge better than 3G and hsdpa

and sate is too expensive

Advertisement