Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant get back into it!

Options
  • 07-09-2008 10:39pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, hope you dont mind me invading your forum, but I only noticed it was here today!! Anyways, I have a problem. I'm a book worm. or at least I was. But I've just got out of the whole funk of reading. I miss me books but just cant get back into the swin of it.

What do you guys do to give yourselves some motivation??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Jeez, I'd go crazy if I didn't something almost every day, usually before bed. How about shutting off the TV/Internet and substitute the time with something light, fun, funny and interesting to read? Like a Terry Pratchett Discworld novel?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

every night I get into bed, I go with the intention of reading. my problem is that I started a novel about 2 months ago, got half way through it, stopped and not cant get back into it!! ggrrrrr,

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Maybe re-reading a couple of your favourite books will help you get back into it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Well, if you can't get into a novel after, say, 25 pages, then it's not for you. Leave it. I know that there are loads of books that I have abandoned cause I didn't "get" them. As someone once said, it's like priming one of those old fashioned levered waterpumps...you have to put energy in at the start, and hopefully it will start to flow after a few strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Maybe the novel is the problem? Is it just not all that good?

Are you reading anything else? Like magazines or articles online during the day?

• Advertisement

thats the thing. . it is/was a great story and I was enjoying it. But I just put it down one day and have not gone back to it. I didn't think about it until today.

I might, from tomorrow, just pick a new book and start from there. And maybe give the current one a shot after I read a different one.

A change is as good as a rest.

But it was a rest that caused the problem in the first place.

I'm no use.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    A change is as good as a rest.

But it was a rest that caused the problem in the first place.

I'm no use.

you just made me laugh. well done.

ok so from tomorrow, I will take a new book and start it. oh and I forgot to add that I have been reading the same author. I have read about 6 books in a row from the same author so a complete change might be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Try short stories?
    you can read them at one sitting, easy to digest.
    I recommend Tobias Wolff or Raymond Carver or even Mc Gahern

Well I head my head set on getting back into the reading funk all day, so I came home from work, rustled up some food. Had a shower. Got comfy in the Jammies and settled into a new one. Erica Spindler ''Last Known Victim'' I've also decided I am going to bring the book to work and read there!! There's a few places I can go, to get some peace and quiet so I'm gonna do that tomorrow. :D

Quick question. . . sorry for asking in this thread, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. . . but is there a boards book club?? :o I'd love to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Galway City forum have one I think. If you're near there you can drop in to them and say hi, otherwise I'd say check the regional forums for one that might be near you but I think Galway might be unique with the book club.

ChewChew wrote: »
    Quick question. . . sorry for asking in this thread, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. . . but is there a boards book club?? :o I'd love to get involved.

There is indeed. They're cleverly called the Reading Club though in an effort to discriminate against less discriminating persons such as yourself!

Glad to hear you're getting back into the reading. In your jammies by half-nine though? Is the price too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

That's proved me wrong.

Sandor wrote: »
    The Galway City forum have one I think. If you're near there you can drop in to them and say hi, otherwise I'd say check the regional forums for one that might be near you but I think Galway might be unique with the book club.
    Thank for that, but I'm in Kildare :o
    There is indeed. They're cleverly called the Reading Club though in an effort to discriminate against less discriminating persons such as yourself!

Glad to hear you're getting back into the reading. In your jammies by half-nine though? Is the price too much?
    You are very good. thanx a million for that!! I'm gonna check it out :D and if I tell the truth. . I was in the jammies at 7 :o
    Sandor wrote: »
    That's proved me wrong.
    +1 for effort though :P

ChewChew wrote: »
    You are very good. thanx a million for that!! I'm gonna check it out :D and if I tell the truth. . I was in the jammies at 7 :o

Oh dear, there's no hope so. I'm afraid the Reading Club hold most of their meetings after 7.

Oh dear, there's no hope so. I'm afraid the Reading Club hold most of their meetings after 7.

you in the reading club? I could make the exception every now and then you know!! :D

Nope. Can't even read. No idea how I'm typing this.

Nope. Can't even read. No idea how I'm typing this.

Messer!!

Just to clarify; I'm not in the Reading Club, I just remembered the thread was around here somewhere. I can read.

Still no idea how I'm typing this.

Just to clarify; I'm not in the Reading Club, I just remembered the thread was around here somewhere. I can read.

Still no idea how I'm typing this.
    Well thanx again for finding it for me!! you really are a great search engine. a combination of yahoo and google. I shall call you 'YaGooHoo'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Don't pay your ESB bill and spend the money on books and candles!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Wow, that would save a fortune and if you got cold you could burn the novels you start but don't enjoy for fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi Chew Chew

I feel your pain. My reading time has taken a huge hit over the last six months or so. Summer months are a problem as my concentration levels drop (alarmingly). Working to deadlines, listening to music and recently taking up playing the keyboard have got in my way. I find the autumn/winter months much better regarding reading time. It gets dark earlier and for some reason I put more of my time into it, so hopefully I can get back to it.

Set aside some reading time for yourself. I found getting up a bit earlier and having a quick read (maybe a chapter or half). In the evening find the book you have recently started and leave it where you think you will spend your evening (living room etc). The joys of wireless net access is another excuse I have been using recently. I try and get through a few chapters when it gets late. Am now a full time returning student so hopefully I can set more time aside dedicated to purely reading. Good luck with it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How do you get to work in the mornings?

If you drive, why not try to get public transport? It might take longer and be less comfortable, but it frees up 30mins - 1 hour each way every day. I make no time to read due to work, but I usually get about an hour's worth of reading on the bus each day. Mind you, I live in Dublin where there is a decent bus service.

Also, do you have internet in work? I once read the count of monte christo - at home in paper format, and online from project gutenberg when I should have been working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FATFREEJ

that's kinda funny cause I've been having a bit of the same problem; i start thse amazing books that I can't seem to finish so at present I'm reading like three different books and sitting in front of my laptop.

althoug I've noticed that I never read when I'm bored but when I'm busy I can't put the book down . Maybe that's your problem?:P

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi Chew Chew

I feel your pain. My reading time has taken a huge hit over the last six months or so.
    I still cant get into it. I dont know whats going on. I started that book last week, but its just not working for me now. I have not picked it up since. Granted I have had a crazy week and I was away for 2 nights.

How do you get to work in the mornings?

If you drive, why not try to get public transport? It might take longer and be less comfortable, but it frees up 30mins - 1 hour each way every day. I make no time to read due to work, but I usually get about an hour's worth of reading on the bus each day. Mind you, I live in Dublin where there is a decent bus service.

Also, do you have internet in work? I once read the count of monte christo - at home in paper format, and online from project gutenberg when I should have been working.

Hey I have to drive to work. If I got public transport it would easily add at least an hour each way to my journey and internet reading isnt really an option for me in work, partially because most of our internet access is blocked.
    FATFREEJ wrote: »
    althoug I've noticed that I never read when I'm bored but when I'm busy I can't put the book down . Maybe that's your problem?:P

I dont think thats it. even when I'm busy I dont think of picking up my book. but its like now, i'm a home taking it easy, but I just cant think about picking up my book. it's not appealing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

This happens to me too. I'll go through a phase of reading non stop then through a phase where I don't pick up a book for weeks or even a couple of months. When I'm in my reading phase I can't imagine why I would not want to read. And when I am in my non reading phase I think "meh, I can't be arsed." What spurs me into reading again is researching what book I'm going to read next. I work up an enthusiasm for it, then go out and buy it, then hey presto I'm back on the train.
    I did the exact same thing with the exact same book last year. Spooky.

I have an old book I bought a few years ago, and to this day I would still claim it to be my favourite book and the best I ever read. And it being so good, I lent it to a friend who lent it to a friend and so on. anyways, the book went missing. Never to be seen again. I was devastated. so away I went and order it in on hardback and I have it sitting nicely on my book shelf. I pulled it out tonight, and found the receipt from when I bought it again on hard back! 09-09-2004 so I think I will try it again seen as though I loved it so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Happy reading ChewChew. Enjoy. Incidently what is the name of the book?

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Happy reading ChewChew. Enjoy. Incidently what is the name of the book?

Thanx Den. . . I'm heading off now in about 10 mins to start it again!! :D and it's called: ''The Jester'' by James Patterson and Andrew Gross. Ever read it??

Advertisement