Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorised Satellite Setup - Decision Time - Equipment recommendations?

Options
  • 07-09-2008 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    I'm finally getting around to installing a motorised Satellite System.
    It will be mainly used for watching football and news feeds, possibly a bit of DX-ing, and generally to learn a bit more about the satellite hobby.
    Location is a South-Southwest facing wall, semi-exposed, with clear H-H sky view in Limerick City.
    I understand that the 110cm Aluminium Triax is about the max size limit for a Diseqc Motor.
    With that in mind, I was thinking of using the following setup:
    Triax TD110 Aluminium Dish with 0.2dB LNB (Titanium Second Edition, Lemon or similar)
    Diseqc Motor: Moteck SG2100 or Technomate TM-2200 (can't decide)
    3-foot/1 metre heavy-duty thick-walled galvanised pole 2"/50mm diameter
    24"/610mm Galvanised T and K Brackets (to give required strength and standoff from the SSW wall for 42E to 45W)
    Satellite Receiver: TBD. See questions below.

Questions:
    1) How does this equipment list look? Any blatant errors or omissions?

2) Which is the best motor to use with this 110cm dish? Moteck SG2100, Technomate TM-2200, or even the Stab HH120?
    I'm looking for durability and reliability rather than raw speed or low noise.

3) Receiver. I'm looking for a receiver recommendation as I'm not well up on what's state of the art these days. In the past, I've used a Comag SL55 which was a fun little box to play with, but no CI slots. I've seen some good things written here about the Technomate 1500CI and I think its successor is the Technomate TM-5400CI+USB.
    I want a sensitive tuner, easy motorised setup and good support with easy update of channel lists, firmware etc. What would people recommend for a budget of around 150 Euro?

Any comments or other input welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    MtM

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

List looks about right.

What about considering a Super Darkmotor, which apparently has metal gears to make it last longer... got one myself a week ago, though still damned if I can get the arc right!

Receiver wise, it'd be hard to fault the TM5400. Software updates can be done via USB, and it'll record onto USB pendrive or external HDD. And the stuff is well supported too.

I had a Tm5400 but replaced it with an Octagon SF918HD box. There's times I regret this though, as the TM's are pretty easy to operate, and do what you expect them to, unlike the Octagon! I just hope future firmware updates sort this box out to what is expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My Motek SG2100 working fine must be nearly 2 years with 110cm Triax dish.

Better alternative for bigger dishes and/OR faster movement is a 36V motor and external DISEQC /USALS/GotoX adaptor to 36V (Motek do one).

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Thanks for the advice on the TM5400 byte,
    I'd heard of the Darkmotor alright.
    I wonder if they are definately more reliable than their nylon-geared competitors? The ability to survive the odd 120+ kph gust without stripping the gears would be an advantage :)

Watty, I considered the 36V motor option, but getting a 4-core motor cable from dish location to controller box could be problematic for me. Does the controller box need to be beside receiver? Or can they work independently/remotely?

Cheers,
    MtM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Have used moteck until recently without any problem. One thing to consider though if your going motorised is the noise! They make one hell of a racket (diseqc motors)- so you might not be popular with the neighbours!

I've never used any of these motors before Eurorunner.
    Exactly how loud are we talking about here? ?
    Is it as loud as say, the motor of a domestic paper shredder, electric can opener, hand blender?

I'm the last house in the row, so unless its really loud, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Been using a Moteck SG2100 here in the wilds of Kerry for the last 2 years ... I'm pretty much full on to the Atlantic winds and never had to re-align my dish or re adjust my Motor in that time ... The motor itself never misses a beat and has worked extremely well ... would have no hesitation in getting another one if i had to ..

I've never used any of these motors before Eurorunner.
    Exactly how loud are we talking about here? ?
    Is it as loud as say, the motor of a domestic paper shredder, electric can opener, hand blender?

I'm the last house in the row, so unless its really loud, it shouldn't be a problem.
    I am also the last house in the row - but it was still very noisy. I suppose it depends on the local conditions. Estate is very very quiet - and no mature trees, hedging, etc - which might damp it down. To give you an idea of how loud it was, it was located on gable wall and when switching sats late in the evening, everyone in the house can hear it. So you can imagine how much louder it would be outside.
    It wasn't the main reason for me switching to a multi lnb dish but it was one of them.
    Again, it depends on your particular site as to how much of an issue this might be - but something to bear in mind before going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Moteck motors are very quiet. Have one myself on chimney above bedroom and cannot hear it at all, even in attic. I have fitted quite a few and never had anyone complain about noise.

Rippy wrote: »
    Moteck motors are very quiet. Have one myself on chimney above bedroom and cannot hear it at all, even in attic. I have fitted quite a few and never had anyone complain about noise.
    Well, its definitely a Moteck SG2100 diseqc motor I had and it was noisy. However, I would imagine it depends on the acousics of specific location..

Hi folks,
    another quick question.....

My Triax TD110 has arrived. Its finished in a dark grey colour.
    I want it to last a few years without going rusty and finish it in a lighter colour to suit house colour. From reading here, I know I should avoid Car paints and high gloss finishes. I was thinking of using 2 coats of this piant. (Hammerite Satin White)

http://www.icipaints.co.uk/colours/hammerite/satin_colours.jsp

My question is: On weak feeds, will the dish gain be affected much by using this non-factory paint finish?

MtM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I was thinking of using 2 coats of this piant. (Hammerite Satin White)

http://www.icipaints.co.uk/colours/hammerite/satin_colours.jsp

My question is: On weak feeds, will the dish gain be affected much by using this non-factory paint finish?

MtM
    That paint is pretty thick and shiny ,I've used it a good bit for painting drainpipes and other metal objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

car paint is fine as long as its not gloss.

Thanks folks. I didn't realise that the Hammerite satin finish would be shiny:confused:

To be fair, there's a slight sheen to the Triax factory finish. Its not exactly flat matt.

I'm more concerned about rustproofing tbh. Its a steel dish, and there are already some scuffs around the egdes from the postal service.

I thought car paint was unsuitable as it doesn't really protect against rust all that well (strange as it may seem).

Does anyone have a better recommendation. Triflow, International, Other?

Thanks,
    MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Owatrol oil

Thanks for the Owatrol oil tip Zaphod. Never heard of the stuff until now...

Do any of the chains sell it? Woodies Homebase B&Q etc?

MtM

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hammerite Satin White is the exact stuff I painted my Sky Minidish with, to camouflage it against the white wall (and also delay corrosion a bit). The sheen isn't that much tbh, though for marginal signals on a Tm110, maybe Owatrol Oil is best (never used it, though Zaphod is seldom wrong!)

Cheers byte,

I was going to use the satin black on my own Sky minindish. Impact to signal should be minimal.

Amazing how fast those things rust in Ireland :)

Anyone know where I can find a can of Owatrol oil?

MtM

Advertisement