Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back into it...

• 07-09-2008 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

I used to swim every morning before school and gave it up when I was 16 just before my leaving cert and never went back fully to it. I'm 29 now and would love to get back into it. I still have the technique, but stamina is nearly non existent (4 or 5 lengths and Im wrecked). I'm thinking of going back swimming 2 or 3 mornings a week before I head off for work. Has anyone any tips on what way to build myself back up to a fit level. I have nothing planned i.e. triathlons, galas etc, so its not like Im training for something, just like to get fit again and have a good swim in the morning.

Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DolphinMasters

Well I guess the most important thing is to enjoy it. Don't focus too much on gettting lots of lengths done. Focus on your breathing (Bi -Lat) and your technique, and once your system gets used to all this exercise again it will get easier.

I know our coach uses Freestyle every September to whip us back into shape, we seem to do more of that in the beginning than any of the other strokes. So maybe start there?

You could start with a Freestyle Pyramid - lets say:

4 x 50M Rest 10 or 15 seconds (depending on what you need)
    3 x 100M Same amount of rest
    2 x 150M same amount of rest
    1 x 200M then stop and take a longer rest for as long as you need - usually a minute or two to catch your breath etc
    2 x 150M Rest 10 or 15 seconds (depending on what you need)
    3 x 100M Rest 10 or 15 seconds (depending on what you need)
    4 x 50M Rest 10 or 15 seconds (depending on what you need)

To mix it up you could add in drills or kick into this - do some straight Free and then some kick or drills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

sounds like a good plan. Pool isn't opening for another few weeks so I'll try get some sort of exercise in between now and then. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sumodivebomb

I'm in the same position myself, used to swim regularly as well as compete with a bit of success too. Then i discovered the virtues of fags and booze... Anyway, at 26 i have knocked the smokes on the head finally and started swimming again. Same story: all technique, no stamina! Also, my lung capacity has diminished severely... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DolphinMasters

Funnily enough we have some masters swimmers who swim with us and still smoke. Not really condusive to exercise but still they manage to pull out continuous PBs! So it proves it can be done. Though we would like to see them quitting at some point, for their own health if nothing else.

I guess bi-lat would help with the lung capacity thing. Though I know a coach of a age group squad that makes them do drills in butterfly breathing every 2,4,6,8 to get them to build up their stamina. They do the same for Freestyle. I haven't tried it as I breathe every 4 myself normally but I would say it's a pretty good way to get yourself used to holding your breath!:)

Advertisement