Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M6 Motorway (or is it?)

Options
  • 07-09-2008 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,

Had the pleasure of driving up the new section of the M6 (Athlone to Kilbeggan) this evening...now, my question is - is it or is it not a motorway?

The regulatory signs indicate that it is (blue signs) however, the speed limit is 100 kms, therby meaning it is a dual carriageway.

what gives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I'm not too familiar with the M6 but if it's anything like the M50, then it could be due to a dangerous spot? the majority of the M50 is reduced to 100Km/h.. Would also be interested to see why

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A motorway does not need to be 120km/h - thats just the max speed allowed on motorways. The M50 from the port tunnel to the M1/M50 junction is 80km/h. The M50 south of Firhouse was always 100km/h.
    I presume that they will change the 100km/h limit though on the M6.

The new sections of the M50 are 100km/h because the lanes are narrower as its an urban motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,932 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not a motorway until the 24th of September, after that date it will be, with a 120km/h limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

It *is* motorway - I drove the length of it on Friday - but the limit is 100

Its not. It has blue signs but it is, currently, the N6. Its motorway order has not yet come in to effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

MYOB wrote: »
    Its not a motorway until the 24th of September, after that date it will be, with a 120km/h limit.

The way everyone was driving on it last sunday night, it was as if everyone thought it was a motorway. A lone cop with a gatso could have got his monthly quota in 10 minutes there.

Stky10 wrote: »
    The way everyone was driving on it last sunday night, it was as if everyone thought it was a motorway. A lone cop with a gatso could have got his monthly quota in 10 minutes there.

It was raining then, wasn't it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

super, thanks guys...My curiosity is satisfied!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

Stky10 wrote: »

Have to agree with you....people seem to think it is 120kms...and hands up...I did too until I copped the 100kms sign and pulled up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

MMD wrote: »
    people seem to think it is 120kms.

No, people just don't care. The 100 limit is a joke, so no-one pays any attention to it. I drove down from Dublin yesterday evening at 130-140 kph, and a good number of people passed doing 150+.

• Advertisement

Its not. It has blue signs but it is, currently, the N6. Its motorway order has not yet come in to effect.
    its signed M6

VH wrote: »
    its signed M6

Doesn't make it a motorway - I already said it had blue (which is always motorway) signage. Its NOT a motorway - until the 24th of September. Being deliberately obstinate for a reason?

Being deliberately obstinate for a reason?
    and stating facts is obstinate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Zube wrote: »
    No, people just don't care. The 100 limit is a joke, so no-one pays any attention to it. I drove down from Dublin yesterday evening at 130-140 kph, and a good number of people passed doing 150+.

hell.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

craichoe wrote: »
    Road to Hell sign

I prefer "Driving Home for Christmas", myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Zube wrote: »
    I prefer "Driving Home for Christmas", myself.

:D

MMD wrote: »
    Hi all,

Had the pleasure of driving up the new section of the M6 (Athlone to Kilbeggan) this evening...now, my question is - is it or is it not a motorway?
    It's a motorway now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Most of the motorways in this country are 2 lanes which is the same as dual c.way. It should not be classed as motorway unless it has 3 lanes or more.

Skyuser wrote: »
    Most of the motorways in this country are 2 lanes which is the same as dual c.way. It should not be classed as motorway unless it has 3 lanes or more.

Doesn't work that way... It's to do with restricting the type of vehicles and drivers, as well as having no private access onto the motorway.

The number of lanes doesn't matter, there are several two lane motorways in the UK, even a single carriageway motorway the A6144(M) .

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Skyuser wrote: »

They better re-classify the N7 from Longmile Road as far as Naas, its 3 lanes, then goes to 2 lanes....M7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Doesn't work that way... It's to do with restricting the type of vehicles and drivers, as well as having no private access onto the motorway.

The number of lanes doesn't matter, there are several two lane motorways in the UK, even a couple of single carriageway motorways.

I used to live in North London and had the pleasure of driving on the M10 a few times, lovely single lane motorway. A few more listed here

Mylow wrote: »
    I used to live in North London and had the pleasure of driving on the M10 a few times, lovely single lane motorway. A few more listed here

Forgot about that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I thought the difference between a motorway and dual carriageway was the restriction on access. On a motorway access is only allowed via the off and on ramps from the left; no access from the right and no private access.

Irrespective of the blue motorway signage, the one that counts is the wee round one with the black numbers and red outer edge!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

N/M 6 not as dangerous as M50 as has no junctions for many miles. No reason I can see for having it less than 120k limit.

N7 between Newlands and Naas IMO has too many tight sub motorway standard access/off ramps to be easily upgraded to motorway at higher speed than now (and Saggart off ramp Dublin bound is a disgrace t-junction at start of off ramp)

Omcd wrote: »
    N/M 6 not as dangerous as M50 as has no junctions for many miles. No reason I can see for having it less than 120k limit.

N7 between Newlands and Naas IMO has too many tight sub motorway standard access/off ramps to be easily upgraded to motorway at higher speed than now (and Saggart off ramp Dublin bound is a disgrace t-junction at start of off ramp)

Between Newlands and Naas there are 4 petrol stations (and one sitting just off-line), 2 pubs, a number of LILO junctions, private houses and farms, accesses and, as you say, JUNCTIONS on slip roads... not a hope of it getting 120km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Omcd wrote: »

Not anymore...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0924/roads.html
    Speed limit rise on 260km of road

Wednesday, 24 September 2008 15:47

Nine sections of national road dual carriageways have been designated motorways.
    Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey made the order concerning the new motorway sections under the 2007 Transport Act, following an application by the National Roads Authority.
    From this morning the speed limit has increased on 260km of dual carriageway around the country.
    Advertisement

The roads, which had a speed limit of 100km/h, are being upgraded to motorway status. It means the speed limit increases to 120km/h.
    The roads affected are

N9 = Kilcullen to Powerstown 46km
    N8 = Cashel Bypass 6km
    N8 = Urlingford to Cashel 29km
    N8 = Cashel to Mitchelstown 38km
    N8 = Mitchelstown to Fermoy 16km
    N7 = Castletown to Nenagh 36km
    N7 = Nenagh to Limerick 38km
    N6 = Kinnegad to Kilbeggan 28km
    N6 = Kilbeggan to Athlone 29km

While journey times for many will be reduced, learner drivers will not now be able to use the roads.
    Vehicles incapable of a speed of at least 50km/h, vehicles with an engine capacity of 50cc or less, cyclists and pedestrians are also not permitted on a motorway.

Advertisement