Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions about repeats/entry into Uni

Options
  • 07-09-2008 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks. Ok here goes...I was thinking of repeating a few subjects that I did in my leaving cert 5 years ago. Basically my results were

Maths(o)
    B3
    English(o)
    A1
    Physics(o)
    A1
    Geography(h)
    C3
    History(o)
    B3
    Construction(h)
    C1

Pretty mediocre I know. Then I did a two year course in the engineering field (ordinary degree used to be call a diploma I think). I did very well at this, as I studied way more than I did in secondry school, and got this merit prize for studying, bit of cash etc

It was a two year course with an extra year added on to make it 3, for a regular degree. I finished up after two to get some experience in the work place. Since then I've travelled and worked in some pretty impressive places. Places that look good on paper (not really amazing to work for when there tbh)

So basically I want to go back to Uni and study....Economics (one of the things I'm thinking of). I have my eye on either UCD or Trinity, probably favouring Trinity.

Now here's my question. Would it be crazy to repeat English, Maths and Physics. I really think that I could have done a lot better if I applied myself. Possibly take on economics instead of Physics, even though I really liked it?

Am I crazy for thinking this? Should I just apply as a mature student? I'm all ready brushing up on some of my maths.

Would 1 year be enough to cover 3 subjects at higher level? Or have I a good chance as a mature student?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Personallly Id try it as a mature student...you already have some qualifications and work experience which would go down really well in any interview for a mature student place....repeating could be a lot of unnesscary work.

Then again, repeating could be great satisfaction for you,obviously you have the ability to put your mind to it and study!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If you're repeating for points, you'll have to repeat 6 subjects in the one year. Otherwise, well, it's the norm to repeat in a year, so 3 HL subjects in one year isn't too crazy, particularly if you did a course in maths/physics before too. (Also, afaik, there is a subject called Engineering for LC that could interest you.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 washing_tonne

Well tbh I don't want to study engineering at all now. That's why I didn't continue on with it.

Do you think it would be wise to repeat? I suppose the mature student route is by far the most sensible option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well, if you're over 23 which I presume you are, mature student could be a much easier way of getting in... of course I don't know anything about it really (think you have to write some kind of personal statement/essay?), so I don't know relatively how easy it is. Not having to repeat would certainly be a luxury though. : p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭duncanb

ye you can apply to ucd or trinity as a mature student....if you are 23+

regardless of how you did in the l.c years ago...

good luck

• Advertisement

Yup, you don't need your LC if you apply as a mature student. There's usually an interview and they assess you on what you write on your application. So yeah, work experience and general experience in that field would be useful.

You may have to pay fees for the first two years or so though. Check with out with the college/Dept. of Education before you get any nasty suprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I wouldn't repeat. You don't need it to get into college if you're a mature student, and it would be a year of unecessary work.
    You may feel like you could have done better in your Leaving Cert but in reality it doesn't really matter. You've done well in a third level engineering course and that is a great achievement. You have work experience and an ordinary degree - that looks very good on paper when you're applying as a mature student.
    Plus, I think you'd have much more fun living life as a college student than as a Leaving Cert student! :)

Advertisement