Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slower broadband

Options
  • 07-09-2008 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi
    Is it my imagination or has the whole broadband slowed down over the last couple of months. I have done all the checks but nothing seems to work - I think its much slower than before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Its not your imagination, its the pitts these days for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

same with me

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Me too, getting more like dial up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Problem with asking that here is generally people who look into the broadband section are having problems with their current provider or are thinking of moving because of poor service from their current provider (unless you're a information junkie like myself). Basically you're always going to get more people who agree with you than disagree in a case like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Is it not possible to ask a simple question with no hidden agenda - thats all the question was about - no hidden agenda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Wow, chill the guide. He was just telling you something that makes a great deal of sense. He was not getting on to you or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Hi
    Just read my post - did not mean it to sound like that - when I wrote it I was just finished doing a project which I was working on over a couple of days and was ready to pull my hair out but Im all calm again so sorry folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Problem with asking that here is generally people who look into the broadband section are having problems with their current provider or are thinking of moving because of poor service from their current provider (unless you're a information junkie like myself). Basically you're always going to get more people who agree with you than disagree in a case like this.
    Wow! Sweeping statement indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No slow down here but must say I'm on Smart and not the state monopoly that masquerades as a private company with mini resellers pretending they compete.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mine was mostly OK at home. 12 down, 1.2M up (Usually 8 or 9 down and 1.5M up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I think to be fair Watty - the question probably related to contended DSL and/or 3G type stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

In the last month a lot of threads have discussed:
    • High ping times
    • Disconnections between 18:00 and 00:00
    • General slowness
    All on resold DSL.
    Valentia wrote: »

In fairness, I don't count too many threads along the lines of "My broadband is ok" or "Reasonable DSL performance in Ballybog".

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

I would normally agree with what you said above.

BUT FACT IS there are major problems with the Eircom infrastructure since the upgrades at the begining of last month. BT and UTV seem to be affected and there is major ongoing testing involving the ISPs and Eircom.

So, 'The Guide', it is NOT YOUR IMAGINATION

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Valentia wrote: »
    Sweeping-yes, completely untrue-NO
    boopolo wrote: »
    I would normally agree with what you said above.

BUT FACT IS there are major problems with the Eircom infrastructure since the upgrades at the begining of last month. BT and UTV seem to be affected and there is major ongoing testing involving the ISPs and Eircom.

So, 'The Guide', it is NOT YOUR IMAGINATION

Boo

You're right that more people have been having problems but that hardly means that speeds are generally coming down. There is a large amount of people having problems lately but when you think about how massive the eircom upgrade was/is the majority of people have had no problems. Most of the problems have been because of poor lines not being able to handle the extra speed (other than the serious problem BT seem to be having at the moment) and having disconnects because of it but that hardly means speeds are becoming slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

The actual download/upload speeds have indeed increasd, but that is of little use to those who use the www. The ping speeds have increased and there seems to be massive bottlenecks at times.

If you are a seriel downloader you will be happy, but if you are a gamer or like to browse youtube etc, your internet experience, will be somewhat diminished from time to time.

boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Im getting a whopping 10 kbs down now on a 3mb line :mad:

crawler wrote: »
    I think to be fair Watty - the question probably related to contended DSL and/or 3G type stuff?

Well 3G can't be fixed, but bitstream/resold DSL could easily have lower ping and contention if someone forced someone to provide a 21st rather than 20th Cent. service. After all, SOME companies can do it on cable, DSL, fibre or Wireless.

Curiously the OPs didn't allude to what flavour of Broadband or alleged Broadband product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

watty wrote: »
    Well 3G can't be fixed, but bitstream/resold DSL could easily have lower ping and contention if someone forced someone to provide a 21st rather than 20th Cent. service. After all, SOME companies can do it on cable, DSL, fibre or Wireless.

Curiously the OPs didn't allude to what flavour of Broadband or alleged Broadband product.

Which companies would that be watty? LOL ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I'm using Digiweb metro 6meg.
    I've never had contention issues since i've been with them (approx. 28 months).
    The last two weeks has been terrible from tea-time till about midnight.I'm getting less than a meg Down and about 150 kbps Up. every night now :mad:

Contact support (phone or email with your WIR number).

A low upstream speed as that suggests some other problem, not contention (unless 200 torrents users added two weeks ago to your mast sector:) ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement