Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performing in musicals

Options
  • 08-09-2008 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

Ive been in stage schools since im around 4 and im in my current one 8 years or therabouts and i dont think ill ever get sick of doing musicals!!they're just so much fun to perform and i love the surrealness of people bursting into song in the middle of a conersation:D

so have you been in any and did you enjoy them?

ive had so many great memorys from mine but i was utterly delighted when i got to be jaffar in aladdin.was so much fun being the baddie especially as its so over the top and i had a shmexy beard.:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I absolutely love being on stage. Its great. I spent about thirteen years going to acting classes and I was in a stage school for 5 years.

The musicals Ive been in were...

The Wizard of Oz.
    Joseph and the amazing technicolour dreamcoat. (Twice)
    Guys and Dolls (as Sky Masterson)
    Grease (as Rizzo)
    Little Shop of Horrors (understudy to Audrey)

And lots of other random plays and variety shows, etc. Was supposed to be doing a production of West Side Story at the moment but Ive to work Sundays and thats when the rehearsals are.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Pfft work... Quit your job and do west side story instead!

I've never done acting or stage school or anything really... I did singing for a year last year though!

And i've only been in two school musicals:
    • Annie - as a random orphan and an array of other random parts such as Mr Warbuck's luggage carrier and I think I was the man of a random couple in NYC...
    • Oklahoma - as Laurie which was just amazingly freaking cool!

I have to join a musical society...

We should join together! Or form a boards.ie musical society... :rolleyes:

Rolleyes???? I'm totally forming a boards.ie musical society when this forum becomes busier!

fonpokno wrote: »
    Rolleyes???? I'm totally forming a boards.ie musical society when this forum becomes busier!

I was rolling my eyes in a thoughtful "oh the possibilities" kinda way. And you totally just stole my idea! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Is it busier enough yet?

I want a society.

I was rolling my eyes in a thoughtful "oh the possibilities" kinda way. And you totally just stole my idea! :eek:

Wait wait, now let's just ask the mod....

*thinks*

Mod rules - fonpokno thought of it first.

:D
    Is it busier enough yet?

I want a society.

I'll give it a week. Soon Ronny, very soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I absolutely love being on stage. Its great. I spent about thirteen years going to acting classes and I was in a stage school for 5 years.

The musicals Ive been in were...

The Wizard of Oz.
    Joseph and the amazing technicolour dreamcoat. (Twice)
    Guys and Dolls (as Sky Masterson)
    Grease (as Rizzo)
    Little Shop of Horrors (understudy to Audrey)

And lots of other random plays and variety shows, etc. Was supposed to be doing a production of West Side Story at the moment but Ive to work Sundays and thats when the rehearsals are.... :(
    oh you lucky duck you!
    rizzo seems like one of the most fun aprts to play!
    ive done the wizard of oz and the wiz and i loved the wiz for the funky songs but thought the old classic couldnt be beaten.
    i think there may be one actully or someting along thoose lines
    or boards theatre group....sounds familiar but i could jus tbe imagining it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

Iv been in Fiddler on the Roof (Played Tzeitel), Oklahoma, Carousel and rehearsels are starting for Oliver with my choral society soon!

is Tzeitel teviers wife or the daughter he wants to marry the butcher?
    i get so confused with names in that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

I'm in Harolds Cross/Tallaght musical society and we're doing Seussical in Nov :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I haven't been in any musicals, but a lot of plays. A lot of college drama soc's don't usually like Musicals for some reason. :confused:

Dord wrote: »
    I haven't been in any musicals, but a lot of plays. A lot of college drama soc's don't usually like Musicals for some reason. :confused:

Last year there was great talk in DIT Rathmines about the new musical society that had been set up and then... diddly. Absolutely nothing happened. Very upsetting altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Used to do a few as part of school and the Limerick Musical Society....

Oklahoma
    Chess
    Joseph and his amazing technicolour dreamcoat
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    Oliver
    Pirates of Penzance

Really enjoyed Pirates, Chess, JC Superstar and Chess I have to say...

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Last year there was great talk in DIT Rathmines about the new musical society that had been set up and then... diddly. Absolutely nothing happened. Very upsetting altogether...

It's incredibly hard for a musical society to muster up the cash to stage a show, even a small one. Practically every musical society in the country (with the possible exception of the R&R) is in a constant struggle to raise enough funds to put on a decent show, so I can only imagine how much harder it is for a brand new society.

And sadly, even if you get a show onstage, one bad run in terms of box office can nearly destroy a society. That's why so many societies stick to the old reliables of Oklahoma, Grease, Fiddler etc. rather than trying out newer shows - at least you're guaranteed an audience.

Oh god yeah i know but there wasn't even a meeting! DIT Rathmines just generally suck at anything society related so we weren't expecting much but after so many joined and it just disappeared... We were just a tad disappointed!

I really must join a musical society. I hear Tallaght/Harold's Cross is a great. I saw them do Oklahoma a few years back and it was brilliant.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Have a look at the forum on www.aims.ie - most of the societies post audition notices up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ickymax

I LOVE Musicals and performing!!! yaaaaayyyy!!

Favourite role to date: Lt Cable

Worst Role to date: I don't have one!!!

Most embarassing role to date: I was the tree in the Wizard of Oz!! Ridiculous costume!! bleh!!

I've been involved in lots of productions!! it's such a buzz!! love it forever!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I was in Godspell. Prefer non dancing parts TBH. I lack rhythm.

Awwww. I'm sure you're great!! I never really got godspell!! not my thing!! You should try Sondheims Company, no dancing, great music, wonderful storyline!! perfect musical!! WOW!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

is Tzeitel teviers wife or the daughter he wants to marry the butcher?

The daughter who wants to marry the butcher!

"Matchmaker, Matchmaker....." Lol

In fairness, I don't think the people organising it really understood what they were getting themselves into, and it was a musical appreciation society. We still didn't much appreciating though . . . .

ickymax wrote: »
    I LOVE Musicals and performing!!! yaaaaayyyy!!

Favourite role to date: Lt Cable

Worst Role to date: I don't have one!!!

Most embarassing role to date: I was the tree in the Wizard of Oz!! Ridiculous costume!! bleh!!

I've been involved in lots of productions!! it's such a buzz!! love it forever!!!!
    i can beat your tree.i was a plant in the background for can you feel the love tonight from the lion king.we'd a big leafy thing tied onto our backs like a school bag.
    Niamh-17 wrote: »
    The daughter who wants to marry the butcher!

"Matchmaker, Matchmaker....." Lol

ah thats for clearing it upp.

No I'm afraid that a big leafy thig on my back would have been great. I was trapped inside a huge cardboard cylinder which had big branchy things attached and I had to wear this huge headress thing that had branches and apples hanging out of it. bleh I say, BLEH!

hahaha sorry the image is gass!

we had 5 people being an elephant and four of them were in the legs as like big grey tubes.cant see it being comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The nearest I got to being in a musical was when my school choir was short listed to sing in Joseph and his Technicoloured Dreamcoat in The Point years ago. Did get to sing on stage at The Point, to an audience of other kids and teachers. YAY

On a side note: is there any chance of maybe stickying a list of muscial societies that boardsies are in or know of as I'd be interested in joining one and it could also be used to publicize any up and coming shows. What ya think?

Larianne wrote: »

On a side note: is there any chance of maybe stickying a list of muscial societies that boardsies are in or know of as I'd be interested in joining one and it could also be used to publicize any up and coming shows. What ya think?

Done and done! :)

oh you lucky duck you!
    rizzo seems like one of the most fun aprts to play!
    ive done the wizard of oz and the wiz and i loved the wiz for the funky songs but thought the old classic couldnt be beaten.

i think there may be one actully or someting along thoose lines
    or boards theatre group....sounds familiar but i could jus tbe imagining it

Rizzo is indeed a very fun part to play. You get to be a total biotch and lets face it, a bit of a slut. All whilst bopping around the stage to the Grease soundtrack.

Best part has to be when I was about to sing "there are worse things I could do" I was standing there looking sad waiting for the music to start when all you hear from the front row is "ah cheer up love, it'll be alree!"

\o/

ha sounds classic!
    we went to macbeth with school and they announced that one of the witches was sick and wouldnt be in it and some chap shouted out "aww might aswell go home now" was classic at the time

ah id love it.its probably a lot more fun then playing sandy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mattyboy20

Yup ive been in lots over the years and loved them. They really improved my confidence. Don't think I would make it a full time career though!!!

Advertisement