Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a strange one

Options
  • 08-09-2008 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Hi all, this is a very small non problem type problem but im curious as to why it is happening.

Basically a lot of times when i am reading threads i click on the title on the main page or in the forum and will be brought to random points in the thread rather then the first post

Take here for example, it brings me to page 3 post 33 (it isnt usually like that it could be page 8 post whatever etc)

Now this has been happening for awhile with me with two isp's (one eircom and the other ntl/virgin) and also a few versions of firefox (2.0.0.6, 2.0.0.16, 3.0 , 3.0.1) Also should say it isnt a cookie/cache thing as i have ff set to delete the whole shebang when it is closed plus some of the threads (including the one linked to) i wouldnt have read previously anyway.

Like i said it isnt a huge problem but would be curious to see why it happens :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is a standard thing, and it all really just depends on where you click in the thread. :)

A normal link on a webpage, takes you to the top of that webpage. It's also possible to add a secondary link within a link, which takes you to a predefined point on that webpage. The link you post above, for example:

[noparse]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57161378#post57161378[/noparse]

If you see the bit at the end, the hash symbol (#) signifies that the text after that symbol is the name of a position in the webpage, and the browser should straight there after loading the page. In this case, it goes straight to post 57161378.

This feature has been around for years (as long as the internet afaik), but it's relatively rare when you consider how many links a single page has. vBulletin does make heavy use of it though.

It appears in two distinct places that I know of.

When you click on this image firstnew.gif beside the name of a thread, it takes you to the first unread post in that thread. An unread post is a new post since your last visit, whether or not you actually read that thread.

When you click on this image lastpost.gif in the "Last Post" column, it takes you to the very last post in the thread.

There are a couple of other places that it's used, but they're the two most common I can think of.

If you click on thread titles or on page numbers, it will take you directly there to the top of that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

seamus wrote: »
    This is a standard thing, and it all really just depends on where you click in the thread. :)

If you click on thread titles or on page numbers, it will take you directly there to the top of that page.

Ok i have only had four hours sleep so forgive me if i am bein dumb, but are you sayin that when i click the title it will take me to the top of the page, and not only that but the first post?

Because that is what i am doin (ie clickin the title) and its bringin me to random page and random post rather then the first post or even the last post

That depends on where you're clicking on the title. :)

Are you looking at the forum or after a search?

That depends on where you're clicking on the title. :)

Are you looking at the forum or after a search?

Either or really like i just go to www.boards.ie and on the page it lists the most recent thread activity etc and i just click the title, or when in forum (say gaa forum) and click the title and this happens :confused:

Aha. Yeah on the front page, it links you to the first "new post", i.e. the first post since you last visited (see above for my explanation).

• Advertisement

Aha. Yeah on the front page, it links you to the first "new post", i.e. the first post since you last visited (see above for my explanation).

Ah i get ya now thanks man, (there isnt a thanks button here to use i have to type it my god what are we in the 1800's???!!!1eleventy1) :)

Advertisement