Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool V Manchester United [All Pre/During/Post Match Discussion]

• 08-09-2008 3:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭

Well lads, its the big one on Saturday, huge huge game and I'm starting to get excited/nervous about it already.
    As a United fan I should be confident seeing as our record here last few years has been great, but we just aren't playing very well at the minute, not looking particulary dangerous up front and unusually leaking a few goals at the back.
    I think it will be a 1-1 draw tbh. Tevez and Torres to get on the scoresheet. l

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

cool im heading over to the game my 1st big 4 league game.
    Cant wait.
    UTD have the run of us over the last couple of years and honestly i cant see it changing unless we play very well and dont do anything foolish.

Gerard says he wont be back but torres should.

Looking forward to the atmosphere and the chants.

Any one else going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Could be a very interesting one. Have a feeling Riera will start and play 60mins before Babel comes on.

Good chance neither Torres nor Gerrard will be fit to start though. Gerrard in an interview on deadline day was saying he didn't think he'd be ready by then, that he wanted more time rather then going into a huge game before he was ready. If they dont start then its hard to see beyond ManU.

All the same, 1 of them probably will start so I'm calling a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Could be a very interesting one. Have a feeling Riera will start and play 60mins before Babel comes on.

Good chance neither Torres nor Gerrard will be fit to start though. Gerrard in an interview on deadline day was saying he didn't think he'd be ready by then, that he wanted more time rather then going into a huge game before he was ready. If they dont start then its hard to see beyond ManU.

All the same, 1 of them probably will start so I'm calling a draw.

I can see Torres starting anyways, Gerrard might make the bench although was reading on the Guardian site there that he said he def won't be fit, but maybe it's some mind games ;)
    Berbatov to start with Rooney and Tevez behind him to either side, could be interesting. If Tevez is dropped to bench I'll be completely disgusted tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

The one match of the year us blues hope the mancs win :D:D

1-0 to Manure again I'll say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

At least it's not a 'Grand Slam Sundat'. Load of bollocks.

Hard to see a pool win evn at home. Without Gerrard and Torres it would be highly unlikely to get any more than a draw.
    Not sure about the extent of the injuries though. Read that SG is very doubtful but that could be a smokescreen. Mascher suspended for Argies midweek i think so at least he'll be well rested.
    Will Ferdinand be fit for this? He doesn't miss many games through injury and i don't think Utd will want to go into this game with him missing, especially if Torres makes it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Last 8 fixtures:
    Man Utd 2-1 Liverpool
    Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd
    Liverpool 0-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-0 Liverpool
    Man Utd 2-0 Liverpool
    Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd
    Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd
    Man Utd 3-0 Liverpool

Scorers:
    Ferdinand 2
    Silvestre 2
    John O'Shea 2 (1 o.g.)
    Rooney 1
    Ronaldo 1
    Scholes 1
    Brown 1
    Tevez 1
    Nani 1

Liverpool FC 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Last 8 fixtures:
    Man Utd 2-1 Liverpool
    Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd
    Liverpool 0-0 Man Utd
    Man Utd 1-0 Liverpool
    Man Utd 2-0 Liverpool
    Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd
    Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd
    Man Utd 3-0 Liverpool

Scorers:
    Ferdinand 2
    Silvestre 2
    John O'Shea 2 (1 o.g.)
    Rooney 1
    Ronaldo 1
    Scholes 1
    Brown 1
    Tevez 1
    Nani 1

Liverpool FC 0

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this trend over the past seasons? Players who rarely score for Man U always seem to have their day in the sunshine against Liverpool. Add Forlan to the list too.:pac:

I'm really nervous, I don't expect Torres or Gerrard to be fit. For once I don't have a good feeling going into this game, but that's probably a good thing.

Can't see Rafa throwing Riera in at the deep end against Man U, I'd say the midfield will be Mascherano, Alonso, Kuyt and Benayoun with Babel playing up front with Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Scorers:
    Ferdinand 2
    Silvestre 2
    John O'Shea 2 (1 o.g.)
    Utd will have no chance without their 2 top scorers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think Ferdinand will miss the game, I would be very surprised if he did. Anyway, Evans could come in for him. Sorted. :D

Tauren wrote: »
    I don't think Ferdinand will miss the game, I would be very surprised if he did. Anyway, Evans could come in for him. Sorted. :D

He'll probably score too if Man U's goals record from defenders against us is anything to go by.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Liverpool will get one golden chance in the first 30 mins. Whether or not they take will shape the entire game (a bit like last season, really).

If United score first, it's done.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i wonder who will get sent off in this match?! my moneys on Mascherano again! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

i wonder who will get sent off in this match?! my moneys on Mascherano again! :pac:

I'll go with Carragher. Or Skrtel.

Berbatov :D

Gary Neville if he plays, or Rooney.:pac:

Mascherano said in his interview with Newstalk that he has learned from his mistakes last season, I trust the chap.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

With Gerrard out and Torres doubtful, Id be very happy with a draw from this game.

I think Arbeloa has been awful so far so would drop him for Carra.

Reina

Carra----Skrtel---Agger---Dossena

Masch--Alonso

Kuyt
    Keane
    Riera

Babel

I'd like 4 points from the next two games, Liverpool and Chelsea away. Would prefer the 3 points against Chelsea, but i won't be too fussed what way it happens if we do pick up the 4 points.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Gary Neville if he plays, or Rooney.:pac:

Mascherano said in his interview with Newstalk that he has learned from his mistakes last season, I trust the chap.:D

I'd prefer to see Gary Neville carried off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I cannot wait to see Berbatov well. I just hope he makes a good first impression :D If Liverpool are without Gerrard and Torres, I would hope we get at least a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i kno most united fans have been thinkin what chant will ring around OT and other stadiums this year.....im pretty sure we will hear a belting rendition of gary neville is a red this weekend! (when the utd fans can be heard) :pac:

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see Gary Neville carried off.

Ah I don't know about that mate. It was a sad day when a minority of fans let us down when Smith horribly broke his leg. Getting sent off will suit me fine.:D:pac:

Ah I don't know about that mate. It was a sad day when a minority of fans let us down when Smith horribly broke his leg. Getting sent off will suit me fine.:D:pac:

In Smith's case, I agree, but Neville would deserve it.

yeah - how dare he love playing for Manchester United, how dare he react to the torrents of abuse he gets from Liverpool fans.

Suppose Gerrard would deserve to get carried of too - he did say he would love to kill united players after all...

In Smith's case, I agree, but Neville would deserve it.

I see where you are coming from, Neville is not the most popular person on Mersyside but no-one deserves to be carried off the pitch with a broken leg to jeers and having their ambulance under siege. I don't like Neville but we as fans should never give anyone ammunition to attack our club and smear our name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

Really looking forward to this game, pitty Gerrard & Torres could be missing as i felt that if they were available we could take Utd esspically without ronaldo.

rafa will go with a strong 4-4-2 formation imo.

Reina
    Arbeloa----Carragher--Skrtel----Dossena
    Babel----Masherano--Alonso--Reira

Kuyt---Keane

Not the best side tbh, But we all know Dirk :D is the man for the big games ;),also be nice for robbie to break his duck and hit the winner, im sick of hearing off utd fans about what a waste of money he has been. Berbatov and Rooney will be dangerous though.

Wonder if Anderson will start, he was outstanding against liverpool last season tbf to the kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ambulance under siege :rolleyes:

there was about 5 people who rocked it

Smith got an ovation when he was stretchered off and thanked the Liverpool fans for that when he got out of hospital.

anyway, i have no idea how the game will go.

Mr Alan wrote: »

Smith got an ovation when he was stretchered off and thanked the Liverpool fans for that when he got out of hospital.

Suppose it was only 5 fans who say "Hey Risse, I want to know how you broke his leg" or whatever the variation was.

yeah - how dare he love playing for Manchester United, how dare he react to the torrents of abuse he gets from Liverpool fans.

Suppose Gerrard would deserve to get carried of too - he did say he would love to kill united players after all...

It's more the open I-hate-Liverpool-scum attitude. If Gerrard (or anyone else)came out with a similar I-hate-Manchester-scum attitude, I'd be very disappointed in him.

I don't like Man U, but only in terms of rivalry and banter. It's nothing personal.... just football... :D

Mr Alan wrote: »

OK under siege was too strong a word, but that incident still managed to get into the papers and make us as a club look bad, that's at least the angle the reporters were taking on it anyway. I'm just saying no fan should give the rags an opportunity to attack a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Suppose it was only 5 fans who say "Hey Risse, I want to know how you broke his leg" or whatever the variation was.

no, that was a good chunk of the kop, but it was sang in jest before the seriousness of the injury was apparent, as soon as it was the jeers were replaced by applause as he left the pitch.

I see where you are coming from, Neville is not the most popular person on Mersyside but no-one deserves to be carried off the pitch with a broken leg to jeers and having their ambulance under siege. I don't like Neville but we as fans should never give anyone ammunition to attack our club and smear our name.

I never said anything about a broken leg (not that what you're saying is inaccurate!!) but a pulled hamstring would do me fine. Or a well placed kick in the gnashers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I forsee an easy win for United... No Gerrard and maybe no Torres for the Pool. United have players coming back from injury and Berbatov thrown into the mix.

Should be handy enough imo

Dave! wrote: »
    I forsee an easy win for United... No Gerrard and maybe no Torres for the Pool. United have players coming back from injury and Berbatov thrown into the mix.

Don't know why but I have a feeling that I'll be crying into my cider if Berbatov scores on his debut!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'd like 4 points from the next two games, Liverpool and Chelsea away. Would prefer the 3 points against Chelsea, but i won't be too fussed what way it happens if we do pick up the 4 points.

I'd take 2 points now tbh

Dave! wrote: »

THe defense is still quite strong. I'm foreseeing a dull 0-0 draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What team we want starting? I would like to see some pace on the wings. I want Liverpool to be embarrassed on Saturday.

I'm going to be in Sweden for it, hope there is no trouble finding it on in a pub over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Utd are the clear favorites - their record in this tie over the past three years is significant. We have been playing very poorly thus far and have not shown anything that suggests we might be able to turn over Tevez and co at the weekend.

I'd be delighted if we could tough it out for a draw.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Utd are the clear favorites - their record in this tie over the past three years is significant. We have been playing very poorly thus far and have not shown anything that suggests we might be able to turn over Tevez and co at the weekend.

I'd be delighted if we could tough it out for a draw.

Yes but in two of those games liverpool should have at least got a draw, especially two seasons ago when O Shea scored. Robbery imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

are Torres and Gerrard both out?

are Torres and Gerrard both out?

looks like it. Torres slight chance of making it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I reckon Berbatov will be kept in reserve. He can't drop Tevez, and he won't be adventurous enough to play all 3.

United's main objective will be to keep Liverpool scoreless, and they won't risk pushing men forward. They'll hope to score from a set piece or perhaps on the break. Be nice to think Rafa would try something different in an effort to get around defenders, get them onto the back foot - rather than the usual story of playing it all down the middle and in front of the defenders - which is so routine for Vidic and Ferdinand that they usually just stroll through the 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Lifelong Pool fan here, I think Utd will try contain us for the first half hour and then go for the win. People have been talking about Liverpool grinding out results this year being a good sign - it's not! My suspicion is that we will be badly found out unless Benitez works a miracle.

My only hope is that they don't absolutely annihilate us like last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Trilla wrote: »
    looks like it. Torres slight chance of making it

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

As a United fan this is the only premier league game that ever makes me nervous. Fantastic rivalry between these two teams. The atmosphere at these games is always electric.
    Biggest game on the planet for me! Always the first game I look for when the fixture list comes out.Roll on Saturday.

Trilla wrote: »
    I'd take 2 points now tbh

indeed - not losing to either is the biggest goal - but 4 points with two of the toughest away games (and the pompey away game) out of the way would see me happy.

I reckon Berbatov will be kept in reserve. He can't drop Tevez, and he won't be adventurous enough to play all 3.
    Apparently the United staff were not impressed with Berbatov's fitness levels, and he will be put on a 'crash course'to get him up to 'United Standards'. Might mean we don't see him start for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Apparently the United staff were not impressed with Berbatov's fitness levels, and he will be put on a 'crash course'to get him up to 'United Standards'. Might mean we don't see him start for a few weeks.

Where did you hear/see that Tauren?

can't remember the site - i'll have a look around. I think i may have made it sound worse though. I don't think they think he is unfit, but he is below the fitness levels of United, cause United expect players to maintian greater fitness levels, apparently he is 20% or so below what they believe they can get him to with a personal training program then moving into the same fitness programs as the rest of the squad. Obviously his lack of match time for Spurs won't have helped.

EDIT: NotW

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/article22437.ece

DIMITAR BERBATOV will be put on a crash fitness course when he finally joins up with Manchester United this week.

The £30.75million Bulgarian faces a full assessment of his physical condition.

He sailed through his medical to complete his move from Spurs but Old Trafford staff were concerned about his general conditioning.

A club insider said: “The coaches have been told to put him on an extensive fitness programme when he returns from international duty with Bulgaria to bring him up to ‘United standards’.

“We believe he has a natural fitness that allows him to get away with things most other players can’t.

“But we think there’s another 25-30 per cent to come once he’s involved fully.

“Even Berbatov will be surprised at the extra levels of fitness he will be able to achieve with the United the training programme.”

One area of Berbatov’s lifestyle which might concern boss Alex Ferguson is his liking for the occasional cigarette.

There is a strict ‘no smoking’ rule enforced at Carrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I never said anything about a broken leg (not that what you're saying is inaccurate!!) but a pulled hamstring would do me fine. Or a well placed kick in the gnashers.

Thats embarrassing comment tbh :rolleyes:

RasTa wrote: »
    What team we want starting? I would like to see some pace on the wings. I want Liverpool to be embarrassed on Saturday.

I'm going to be in Sweden for it, hope there is no trouble finding it on in a pub over there.

If you are in Stockholm you could try O'Learys in Slussen. I've seen a few games in there. big crowds, decent enough atmosphere. The game will be on in a lot of pubs as they follow english football closely.
    http://www.olearys.se/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I reckon Rafa will start with Rieri and Dirk on the flanks!

I'm gonna go for a one nil win to Liverpool, we're due a win over that lot. And Keano to get off the mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement