Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool V Manchester United [All Pre/During/Post Match Discussion]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've actually been surprised with how magnanimous most Utd supporters have been in defeat. Good to see & fair play to them.

Truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've actually been surprised with how magnanimous most Utd supporters have been in defeat. Good to see & fair play to them.

in fairness - its not like we have anything to cling to in this case - we were rubbish and deserved to get beaten. If we had played at all well we might have gone on about the two lucky goals, but as it turned out it was no more than Liverpool deserved.

Also, in general the Liverpool fans are being good winners, which makes being good losers a bit easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

spockety wrote: »
    Don't let facts or stats get in the way of an argument! Sure have you ever actually watched your team play? Anecdotal evidence is of far more value! :rolleyes:

I have to say, in the aftermath of the match on Saturday, one well known poster has gone down in my estimation, and one poster who was already in the gutter in my estimation has fallen through the drain. The bitterness, be it overt or covert, is unreal.

im not sure but i dont think you are having a go at me, am i right :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

spockety wrote: »
    The bitterness, be it overt or covert, is unreal.

Your right again Spockety, perish the thought that there might be bitterness/banter between United and Liverpool supporters.

You might wana stop taking things so personally, overtly or covertly it's your choice. ;)

"I must simply stop being so shocked that is the 3rd monicol today"

Liverpool wanted it more on Saturday, they got what they deserved and have to be applauded for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Boggles wrote: »
    Well done, I'm very happy for you.

I watched one of the worst United performances in recent memory. I also watched probably one of the best Liveprool performances in recent memory, what was the score? 2-1 at home, an og and a bobble from Babel, yeah world beaters.Boton, West Ham, City and Chelsea all beat United at home last season, how did it finish again? Lets talk again in April. ;)

Oh right. Utd had their worst game, Liverpool had their best and an own goal and a bobble was why we won the game. :rolleyes:
    You know what they say, Boggles. You can only beat what's put in front of you.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    own goal and a bobble was why we won the game. :rolleyes:

Did it not?

Liverpool deserved the good luck the way they were up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i hate the perception in football that "oh you only scored cause we ****ed up, that belittles the result"

wat a pack of ****e....99% of all goals are because of defensive errors, its the whole object breaking a defence down.

Tevez goal was down to Mascherano not tracking his run sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i hate the perception in football that "oh you only scored cause we ****ed up, that belittles the result"

wat a pack of ****e....99% of all goals are because of defensive errors, its the whole object breaking a defence down.

indeed. Its almost always cause and effect, even the ridiculous own goal, would VDS have flapped at it if Riera wasn't right behind Brown? It was a calamitous mistake but one he probably wouldn't have made if he hadn't felt under pressure.

Its not too often someone scores a goal that somebody could have done nothing about. Even 30 yard screamers into the top corner, someone could have been closing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I guess it's easier to blame it on blatant errors, though, than the small things which go unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I dont think Liverpool were that good anyway... they've played better then that before. Im a big enough United fan but we were lucky in another sense that we didnt meet a better Pool team! Maybe with the inclusions of Gerrard and Torres they would have been better, but I've seen better performances from Liverpool with/without those players.

Liverpool weren't great, United were ten times worse... Pool well deserved it. Keane was great off the ball, awful on it. He'll have better days. Berbatov did well for the goal, tried to do more but was marked out of it. He'll have better days too.

True the pool goals were errors, but they still deserved their win. No question. For 70mins United were second best, nobody can say any different. It didnt take much for that to happen though which is a worry for United fans.

Poor game of football imo, I'd say the atmostphere was great though.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I also watched probably one of the best Liveprool performances in recent memory, what was the score?

another one to take you off ignore having seen this quoted. You must be kidding, Liverpool were average, utd were terrible. Being average was enough, even with our 2 key game winners on the bench.

best performances in recent memory? That it one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard in along while. Missed a number of easy chances and nearly didn't win after totally outplaying the oppostion. Thats not even the best performance this year. No Liverpool fans are getting carried away with that result. Only difference in the end was the luck went with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

90% of the team didnt turn up ........... The front 3 got no service, the other 2 disappeared, and we had to rely on defence after that.

When that was observed of Barcelona last season it was because they were stopped from playing their game by a superior tactician, according to the oracles posting here. In this case it was simply lack of motivation from Manchester United players? :pac:

I've to go home now to my housemate who apparently has hung his Liverpool jersey outside his door... I wish I did something like that when United won twice last year.

Ah I dont mind, I did let the a part-time Arsenal fan whind me up on Saturday by text though. Ah well.

I'll hang up my Bohs jersey when we win the league very very soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Trilla wrote: »
    I've to go home now to my housemate who apparently has hung his Liverpool jersey outside his door...

Hahaha. Hope he doesn't actually live in Liverpool, or you might not get to see it.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Listen mate, put the stats away and actually watch your team play football, you may be surprised what you notice.

lolz

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Hahaha. Hope he doesn't actually live in Liverpool, or you might not get to see it.......

haha took me a while to get that cas I meant his bedroom door (which is beside mine). :-(

all part of the fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Congrats Pool, totally ran the game after the equalizer and deserved the win. I was just glad I was in Sweden as got over the result pretty quick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Lol,

it's great to see most Manu fans come on and see that they were beaten by the better team. They were lucky to go away with only 2 goals scored against them, it probably should have been 3 or 4-1 tbh. I also like the way Boggles tries to derail the whole thread comparing VDS to other keepers. It has SFA got to do with the result Boggles, and he said you said arguments are all opinion based and make fook all difference to the result tbh. VDS has had a couple of dodgy games in the past, most keepers have.

I thought the atmosphere at the game on Saturday was only second to the atmosphere we had in the second leg of the CL semi against Chelski. The fans were fantastic tbh. Fair play to them, even when Tevez scored the goal, they really got behind the players, and it seemed to have an effect on them.

For me, Reira and Keane were fantastic. I don't know how much of it was picked up on camera, but the work rate of both was phenomenal. Keane seemed to put the ****s up the Manu defense every time he ran at them. Yes he had a couple of fresh airs, but it looked like he was trying that little bit too hard at times. I'm 100% confident that he will come good, the right bounce of the ball and he will be off the mark, it's all he needs.

Reira was so good. He looked super fit and he made a laughing stock out of Brown et-al. I'm not going to be convinced of him just yet, but if he keeps working the way he did, he will be world class.

Thank god we didn't sell Alonso. He and Masch ruled the midfield. Masch had a couple of loose ones early on, but as the team gained confidence it was pure sublimity to watch as they stroked the ball across the field with such ease. They were definately the best pair on the pitch.

Utd have a serious problem with Rooney in his current position, it needs to be sorted. I dunno how most Manu fans feel, but what about a Roy Keane type role for him? I think he would be perfect for it. He was woeful on Saturday, as were Vidic, Anderson (laughable tbh), Giggs, Brown and VDS.

It's also early days, but Berba looked like a lazy version of RVN (if you can imagine that) and did SFA after 10 mins. It UTD are going to constantly play such an attacking formation (WTF are you talking about PHB with this defensive line-up???) they will need Berba to get a lot more involved and not be so lazy. At one stage he was standing about 15 yards inside the Liverpool half, looking at Tevez fighting for the ball in the UTD midfield with his hands on his hips????? what a way to impress on your first game.

All in all it was a fantastic day, and so so great to come from behind and knock Utd off their perch ;). I met a couple of Manu fans before the game, and they were uber confident of an easy win. The look on their faces after the game was priceless, and to do it without Torres and Gerrard (for most of the game) was even better. It was magnificent.

Hobart wrote: »
    They were lucky to go away with only 2 goals scored against them, it probably should have been 3 or 4-1 tbh.

Dont over-do it now! It could have been 2-2 or 1-0 to United either. Ifs and ands Hobart

Dont over-do it now! It could have been 2-2 or 1-0 to United either. Ifs and ands Hobart

On the basis of chances, Liverpool should have scored more. Ues it's if's and buts, my point is that Utd were totally outplayed and outclassed. A 4-1 would have been nice, but I'll happily take 2-1 anytime ;), especially coming back from a goal down!

• Advertisement

A 4-1 would have been nice, but I'll happily take 2-1 anytime ;), especially coming back from a goal down!

Im sure you would have lvoed that, I can see you love Manchester United by your sig anyways. Outclassed no, beaten by the better team on the day - definitely. Like I said before, United were awful for 70mins, Pool were average.

On another day Liverpool would have played better and won, but I personally think 2-1 was the fairest result that game warranted. I'm sure most agree (Pool and United fans).

Im sure you would have lvoed that, I can see you love Manchester United by your sig anyways. Outclassed no, beaten by the better team on the day - definitely. Like I said before, United were awful for 70mins, Pool were average.

On another day Liverpool would have played better and won, but I personally think 2-1 was the fairest result that game warranted. I'm sure most agree (Pool and United fans).

My sig refers to a player, yes a united player, and has really got SFA got to do with Utd. Turn sigs off if you don't like it. I could say more or less the same about Berbatov, but I won't.

Now back to the discussion at hand, like I said I would take a 2-1 anytime. We outclassed ye on the day, simple as. I so hope Chelsea teach ye a lesson aswell!!

Lol,

it's great to see most Manu fans come on and see that they were beaten by the better team. They were lucky to go away with only 2 goals scored against them, it probably should have been 3 or 4-1 tbh.

I can think of 3 chances that Liverpool got in the match, Kuyt from the corner when VDS spilled it and the 2 goals. All woeful uncharactoristic defensive errors

United should have got a second through Tevez. It was more likely to be 2-2 than anywhere near 4-1.

To say Liverpool were average is doing them a great disservice, I thought they were excellent throughout the pitch, lacked ideas up front but understandable when considering they were missing Torres.

I also like the way Boggles tries to derail the whole thread comparing VDS to other keepers.

Check again Hobart I didn't bring it up.

dont forgot when Babel nutsed Brown with a back heal Boggles and laid it back to Kuyt whos shot was saved by VDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

dont forgot when Babel nutsed Brown with a back heal Boggles and laid it back to Kuyt whos shot was saved by VDS.

Or when Babel tore up the inside left and laid it off for Keane who delayed and had his shot charged down.
    Or when Keane was through before Vidic hacked him.

and of course Keane's air kick as the ball came across him from right to left right in front of the right hand side of goal when VDS was over by the left post

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Yum yum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So anyway....

First of all, what an atmosphere! I was in the paddock about 100metres away from the United fans, and fair play to them, they were very loud for a lot of the first half. Dont know how it came across on TV but it was just brilliant to be there. Just about a few of the players:

Riera looked woeful in the first 20 minutes, everytime the ball came near him he was being pushed off the ball too easily and falling down all the time. He really came into it in the 2nd half with a few great flicks and backheels. Constantly hugging the touchline which is great to see, looks to have a great shot on him and a very good cross.

Mascherano was just incredible, i cant believe Alonso got MOTM. From the stand he didnt seem to do all that much, Masch was just out of this world though. Didnt stop running until he went off injured(Any word on that???), i remember more than one occasion where he ran from his own box to chase down a ball being played between Vidic, Ferdinand and VDS. Really made up for his lack of concentration for the United goal.

Keane looked totally lost IMO. Put in a lot of hard work and running but it just came to nothing. A lot of the time he was sitting in central midfield with nobody up top.

Rooney looks lost out on the right, he got behind Aurelio a few times but looked clueless for what to do with the ball after he was past him. They really need to sort out who is playing in what position because Rooney will never be effective out on the right.

Berbatov was absolutely laughable. The only time i can remember him touching the ball was for the goal, so many times he was beaten in the air only for him to stand and watch Tevez try to chase it down. Id love to know how many times he actually touched the ball.

Anderson, Brown, Anderson, Giggs, Anderson, Evra, Vidic...... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I can think of 3 chances that Liverpool got in the match, Kuyt from the corner when VDS spilled it and the 2 goals. All woeful uncharactoristic defensive errors

Babel passed to Kuyt who had a shot and really should have scored. Also, Benayoun was 1 on 1 with VDS, who made a good save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Oh, I forgot when Keane put Benni through and he tried to dink it over VDS.
    Another good chance, that's 8 now Boogles.
    So hardly 3.

I don't know what the official stats where, but I'd say that Liverpool easily has twice the chances that Manu created, and far more shots on target.

Boggles, if you can remember only 3, take the rose tinted glasses off, or see a specalist on memory loss :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

there's probably a discrepancy between what classifies as a chance. Imo, a chance is when the goalie is made to work, comfortable saves, mis**** shots etc. don't count. In my book. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

there's probably a discrepancy between what classifies as a chance. Imo, a chance is when the goalie is made to work, comfortable saves, mis**** shots etc. don't count. In my book. :D

hmm, so being through on goal with a tap in from 2 yards and no keeper and sending it over the bar (a la ronaldo) isn't a missed chance?

copacetic wrote: »
    hmm, so being through on goal with a tap in from 2 yards and no keeper and sending it over the bar (a la ronaldo) isn't a missed chance?

No but there is obvious chances and there is half chances. But I think you probably know that all ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can someone please lock this thread before it descends into complete madness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Does it really matter how many chances Liverpool had? They beat us fair and square and thoroughly deserved the victory no matter how hard it is to take/say. Congrats to Pool for a well deserved victory IMO :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Manchester City were the poorer team and deserved to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Have to totally agree here. Im sick to death with people saying "Man U had an off day Saturday" or each and everytime Liverpool have a great result in Europe against Juve,Barca,Milan,Inter,Chelsea or whoever that the other team are "Past it" or "Bottled it"or "had an off day" etc....it's B.S. to be honest. Utd where beat by the better team Saturday..simple as that. Would it ever cross anybodys mind that Man U played well on saturday and so did liverpool and Liverpool just happenend to win. Imagine that:rolleyes:

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Would it ever cross anybodys mind that Man U played well on saturday and so did liverpool and Liverpool just happenend to win. Imagine that:rolleyes:

So you think Man United played well?

They where average. Not rubbish not brilliant. Just got beaten by the better team. Difference is they play like that a lot against your Wigan's,Fulham's etc.. and get away with it because those teams arent up to Liverpools standard. Just hate this whole "the only reason Liverpool won is because we where rubbish" B.S. It's childish and pathetic TBH. Liverpool went to OT last year and got beat by the better team but Liverpool fans didnt come out with a whole lotta "they only won because we where rubbish" nonsense. Just belittles the whole team effort Saturday and they dont deserve that.

• Advertisement

I think Utd played very well for the first 10-15 minutes and after that Liverpool did not allow them to play

I think Utd played very well for the first 10-15 minutes and after that Liverpool did not allow them to play

I don't even think they played well for that length, nothing went for United on the day, I think that is fair to say. But I believe a team makes it's own luck, which Liverpool did, also a team makes it's own bad luck which unfortunately United did.

To suggest United were out classed is farcial thou.
    gixerfixer wrote: »
    Difference is they play like that a lot against your Wigan's,Fulham's etc.. and get away with it because those teams arent up to Liverpools standard.

United beat Wigan 6-0 and Fulham 5-0 on aggregate last season, next. Also did the mighty Bramble not score the equaliser at Anfield last season? :rolleyes:

My sig refers to a player, yes a united player, and has really got SFA got to do with Utd. Turn sigs off if you don't like it. I could say more or less the same about Berbatov, but I won't

No I want to see other peoples sigs, besides I dont have a problem with it Hobart. Its the stupid comments like "outclassed" that Ive a problem with. I'm wondering if it were a Liverpool player would have it there, its grand just merely pointing out that exactly give them impression you'd be 100% honest and fair in an analysis. If thats what you were truelly doing. If you were in your eyes I apologise, but I doubt you were.

No need to get carried away

Liverpool were poor against United, United were worse.
    Liverpool had more possession
    More chances, but they werent great chances are brilliant football lets me honest please
    Liverpool had more grit about them and seemed to want it more.

But

Outclassed - no way. You need more to do that. I dont think either team has outclassed one another in a long time. YOu cant use the United 3-0 performance last season because Liverpool were off form and were down to 10 men after half n hour.

Anyhow I feel like Ive gone off on a rant but I didnt mean to.

Well done to Liverpool, Riera, Carragher and Mascherano especially. They impressed me

Agreed there, though United were the better team first 20mins Boggles you have to agree on that?!

I'm off to start a thread on the big game we should be talking about - Pats vs Hertha.

I don't even think they played well for that length, nothing went for United on the day, I think that is fair to say. But I believe a team makes it's own luck, which Liverpool did, also a team makes it's own bad luck which unfortunately United did.

United beat Wigan 6-0 and Fulham 5-0 on aggregate last season, next. Also did the mighty Bramble not score the equaliser at Anfield last season? :rolleyes:

Fail. Read the post again:rolleyes:

Outclassed, better than, more possesion, greater need, more skillful, less mistakes, it doesn't matter tbh. I was there, it is my opinion that Liverpool were the 'classier' side on the day, by a country mile, but the result, and the performance speak for themselves.

Don't get me wrong, they will have days like Utd did on Saturday, I'm sure of it, and I won't be making any bets on them winning the league, just yet. But I'm so so pleased with the performance by that team, especially when you consider that their best players were on the bench. Utd "don't like it up them", as the saying goes, and the fact that they were stuffed is as satisfying as the victory itself. I'm delighted that they won, the fact that it was Utd they beat, makes me happier.

This whole "theory" that Utd didn't play well, is also an interesting one. Does nobody realise that Utd were not allowed to play well? The start they had, was fast, pacey and deadly, but Liverpool backed off them and gave them too much space. As soon as Liverpool began to close them down, bang, Utd could not cope. They didn't play well, because they could not deal with Liverpool getting in amongst them, and not allowing them to play well, simple as tbh.

They didn't play well, because they could not deal with Liverpool getting in amongst them, and not allowing them to play well, simple as tbh.

Home and away the past 10 years Liverpool have "got amongst" them, United on more then several occasions have overcome that.

Home and away the past 10 years Liverpool have "got amongst" them, United on more then several occasions have overcome that.
    Maybe, maybe not...opinions etc... This time they didn't overcome them, that what counts today, however if you want to start talking about history..?

id go with 5 years instead, dont forget Houllier and Danny Murphy had a pretty nice record going against ManU.

Fair point though, Liverpool finally made their ' V's big teams' style of play (the all action one that beat Barcelona, chelsea, juve, arse, etc etc) pay off against ManU

however if you want to start talking about history..?

:rolleyes: ffs

• Advertisement
Advertisement