Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool V Manchester United [All Pre/During/Post Match Discussion]

18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ahh lads don't get worked up, sure remember all the singing and dancing that a certain unnamed City fan did when they were jammy over both legs :o beat us last season?

This is exactly how the season is supposed to go, y'see! :D We've pretty much guaranteed the double now! If we lose to Chelsea on the weekend, then we've got the treble sewn up.

Get with the program!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So nobody has the balls to say that we've proved we can play and win against a big team without Torres and Gerrard but United have shown they are absolutely no threat without Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hobart wrote: »
    and the fact that they were stuffed is as
    Maybe, maybe not...opinions etc... This time they didn't overcome them, that what counts today, however if you want to start talking about history..?

Can we all just tone it down a bit?

Talk about the plus side of Liverpool's or the down side of United's performance all you like. United were anything but stuffed. They were beaten fair and square. Most United fans here have acknowledged that and credit to them - don't make them all regret it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Boggles wrote: »
    I don't even think they played well for that length, nothing went for United on the day, I think that is fair to say. But I believe a team makes it's own luck, which Liverpool did, also a team makes it's own bad luck which unfortunately United did.

nothing went for them because they played badly.
    they played badly because their setup was a bit of a joke and fergie made some big boo-boos. Liverpool didnt have to play particularly well to beat Utd, just make their midfield run ragged and the rest will sort itself out. scholes was terrible for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Jazzy wrote: »
    nothing went for them because they played badly.
    they played badly because their setup was a bit of a joke and fergie made some big boo-boos. Liverpool didnt have to play particularly well to beat Utd, just make their midfield run ragged and the rest will sort itself out. scholes was terrible for example

I'm not gonna argue that Utd didnt play badly but they played the exact game they have played against Liverpool at Anfield since Benitez took over. Sit back, soak up the pressure and try and nick a goal. Its worked in the past, O'Shea two years ago and Tevez last year scoring winners in games we didnt deserve to win. It would have been the same this year but for a couple of defensive howlers.

However Liverpool deserved their win, they were the better team on the day and long overdue for a bit of luck against united. The underlying problems of the team still hold true though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Well said lads above. Liverpool deserved it but toning it down wouldnt go astray.
    Melion wrote: »
    So nobody has the balls to say that we've proved we can play and win against a big team without Torres and Gerrard but United have shown they are absolutely no threat without Ronaldo?

That makes a load of sense, seeing as you had both of them last year for most if not all of the "big games" and finished bottom of the mini table and 4th overall, and doesnt Ronaldo apparently not do it against the big teams, goes missing in the "big games"?

2-1, fair result. Lets move on to Stoke and Chelsea (oh oooh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Not sure if I've posted, but fair enough from the United fans, we got this one - and they'll be disappointed with their teams performance.

Strangely Rafa came out saying how this would by a psychological boost for Liverpool, what happened to his 3 points is 3 points mantra :)

Anyway, Liverpool outplayed United, and really should have scored 4, on another day we'd have lost 1-0 or drawn 1-1, but there was an extra bite having lost so often in recent times, I don't expect us to get much in the return fixture.

United have it tough over the next few weeks, away to Chelsea is never easy.

I think Utd have real problems shoehorning in the star players when they're all fit, but obviously Berb/Tevez/Rooney are needed to rotate and that depth is needed if players get injured.

Against lesser teams they can let all 4 attacking players run riot, but probably need to reign it in for tighter games, so I'd see the ideal formation of playing 4-4-2 with Berb/Rooney up front, 3 disciplined midfielders and let Ronaldo run riot, with Tevez on the bench to bring out if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Sorry if this was brought up but did anyone see Dunphy's bit in The Star yesterday. Highlights (or most embarassing statements);
    • Saturday was a freak result. If you put those teams out against each other 100 times Man U would have won the game 99 times.
    • Man U were brutal against "limited" players such as Mascherano and Carragher.
    I hate that cynical twit.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Sorry if this was brought up but did anyone see Dunphy's bit in The Star yesterday. Highlights (or most embarassing statements);
    • Saturday was a freak result. If you put those teams out against each other 100 times Man U would have won the game 99 times.
    • Man U were brutal against "limited" players such as Mascherano and Carragher.
    I hate that cynical twit.:pac:

to be fair that is just absolute nonsense i dont think many united fans will agree with that.

in fact i reckon the majority of united fans would like to see mascherano in their squad?

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    in fact i reckon the majority of united fans would like to see mascherano in their squad?

I dont think he's the legend that Pool fans make him out to be, but I'd take Carragher in a shot. To say he's limited is an absolute joke. Dunphy has to be looking for attention with all these remarks.

Trilla wrote: »
    I dont think he's the legend that Pool fans make him out to be, but I'd take Carragher in a shot. To say he's limited is an absolute joke. Dunphy has to be looking for attention with all these remarks.

i dont think carra would make the united first xi, i think mascherano would, but thats just a personal opinion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If you dropped Masch in alongside Carrick, United would be a real force, he's a ball winning terrier and can run all day.

Dunphy is just being sensationalist, both Masch and Carragher are limited, but only in the sense that their position and roles don't demand a huge footballing ability, but rather tenacity, consistency and effort.

Carra put in two strong tackles on Berbatov after the goal, and kept him quiet after that, same as Masch - who was like a man possessed after his lack of tracking in the United goal.

Liverpool and United have player over 100 times, think it's something like 70-60 to Liverpool, but United way ahead over the last 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mascherano is a world beater and would walk into pretty much any team in the world (that played that type of player)

Plus, lets remember, it was this "limited" footballers run and subsequent tenacity mixed with skill (nuts on giggs) that got us our second goal.

Tommy Mascherano is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I don't know what the official stats where, but I'd say that Liverpool easily has twice the chances that Manu created, and far more shots on target.

Boggles, if you can remember only 3, take the rose tinted glasses off, or see a specalist on memory loss :rolleyes:.

If i remember right the offical stats where Liverpool 11 shots on Target Man Utd 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Mascherano is a world beater and would walk into pretty much any team in the world (that played that type of player)

Plus, lets remember, it was this "limited" footballers run and subsequent tenacity mixed with skill (nuts on giggs) that got us our second goal.

Tommy Mascherano is a legend.
    He must also be amongst the fittest players in the league (in a non gay way) The fcuker just keeps on running running running for 90 minutes. Would absolutely hate to play against him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Pighead wrote: »
    He must also be amongst the fittest players in the league (in a non gay way) The fcuker just keeps on running running running for 90 minutes. Would absolutely hate to play against him.

Ha ha yeah, Gerets the Marseille manager said Liverpool were like duracell bunnies on Saturday and when Benitez was told of the comment, he said that Gerets must have been referring to Mascherano.:pac:

Saw it in this mornings Metro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Dunphy with another great comment. Whatever about Carra being limited, Masch is easily the best player at what he does in the world. His energy is just amazing to watch and i cant remember seeing a DM like him in a long time.

Melion wrote: »
    i cant remember seeing a DM like him in a long time.

I'd prefer Essien, just my opinion and preference

I think essien is a more complete midfielder but mascherano is younger and has a better engine imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

crouch does a huge amount of running also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

In fairness lads, we all know Berbatov does the most running in the PL :pac:
    Honestly though If I was to want any midfield pairing it would be Fabregas and Essien.
    Essien brings the huge engine and great tackling skills aswell as fairly decent going forward, I would rather have Essien than Mascherano, even though Mascherano is excellent. We all know what Fabregas brings, hes the best CM in Premiership if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Trilla wrote: »
    I'd prefer Essien, just my opinion and preference

There is no doubting that Essien is possibly the best midfielder in the PL but he isn't an out and out defensive midfielder. Saying that though, he is more than capable of doing a job there.

It seems that his flexibility though is counting against him in the same way that Gerard's does, i.e. regularly being played out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If I had to pick between Mascherano and Essien, I'd pick Essien. Then again, I'd like the choice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote: »
    If I had to pick between Mascherano and Essien, I'd pick Essien. Then again, I'd like the choice :)

Essien is a better player. If I had to choose one to play purely as a defensive midfielder though...it would be a tough choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

for a DM Mascherano is very dynamic, get's everywhere. but as a natural Box to Box Essien would have a bit more in this department, yet i feel he (Essien) has the discipline to carry out the DM role just as effectively. that's the only way i can separate them though on current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If I believed in God - I'd thank him for delivering a player of Mascherano's quality to Liverpool. Arguments about whether he is the best at what he does in the world or not are a bit pointless. I'm sure that what most people can agree on is that he would be able to walk into any squad in the world and be able to improve it's depth.

I think we could say the same about Gerrard and Torres - and then change the 'any' to 'most for players like Carragher, Reina and Keane.

And you need that to have any chance of being successful. United and Chelsea probably have a couple more players in either category - hence why they have been more successful the past few years, and remain favorites to finish ahead of us in the league this year irrespective of what happened on Saturday. Or what may happen this Sunday coming.

I mean, when we won the Champions league, Carragher was a slightly superior athlete - and Hyppia and Hamman were probably in their last seasons as top level players. Tactics and workrate are vital - but you do require genuine quality at a club. And I do think that (ignoring what the likes of Dunphy says) we have improved noticeably on that score since Benitez took over.

Advertisement