Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool V Manchester United [All Pre/During/Post Match Discussion]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Who have pool got that will play in both internationals? Mr Cautious doesn't usually play them the following week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

1-1 draw or a 2-1 win

Don't know for who yet though. I dont know if I'm going to be able to watch it.

Would love to see Keano or N'gog score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

kida wrote: »
    Who have pool got that will play in both internationals? Mr Cautious doesn't usually play them the following week?
    Keane, Agger, Skrtel and Yossi will all start both games. Babel started for Holland in their friendly v Australia and Kuyt came on as sub, and they'll probably have some involvement in their qualifier on Wednesday.

At this early stage in the season I don't think it'll count for much. Might improve Riera's chances of starting ahead of Benayoun or Babel, but Kuyt will start either way. Rafa had a little outburst on the official LFC site about not being able to rest players without getting heaps of abuse, which in my opinion is a pretty big hint that only one of Torres or Keane will start v United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Gerrard to miss the game!! SWEET:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wishing injuries on footballers is a horrible thing to do.

Shame on the people who have done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Des wrote: »
    Wishing injuries on footballers is a horrible thing to do.

Shame on the people who have done that.

He's not wishing an injury on him he's just glad he happens to have one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see Gary Neville carried off.

No, he clearly stated that he'd like to see a player carried off.

He wants to see a player injured.

That is sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

heh, there was me thinking you were refering to the previous post like a logical person :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think we all know it'll be Liverpool 0-1 Manchester United

The question is whether the goal will be scored by Van Der Sar's wisdom tooth or Evra's left shoulder blade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

jaykay74 wrote: »
    If you are in Stockholm you could try O'Learys in Slussen. I've seen a few games in there. big crowds, decent enough atmosphere. The game will be on in a lot of pubs as they follow english football closely.
    http://www.olearys.se/

Good man, think my mate who I'm going over to see works there sometimes. He doesn't follow footy so didn't have a clue.

Anyway I would like this team, doubt it will be anywhere close. We might see Berbs starting on the bench.

Van Der Sar
    Brown Rio Vidic Evra
    Carrick Scholes
    Tevez Anderson Rooney
    Berbatov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭pesireland

RasTa wrote: »
    Good man, think my mate who I'm going over to see works there sometimes. He doesn't follow footy so didn't have a clue.

Anyway I would like this team, doubt it will be anywhere close. We might see Berbs starting on the bench.

Van Der Sar
    Brown Rio Vidic Evra
    Carrick Scholes
    Tevez Anderson Rooney
    Berbatov

Thats a very strong line up i must say, utd are very very strong at the back, and i just fear that if Torres is missing me might not have enough to break them down and its sad to say that when we have £20m keane and £10m Kuyt probarbly in the team. COME ON YOUR REDS!!!!

Keane 2-0 Man Utd, I can see the headlines now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That is sick.

Does it count if its gary neville though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Starting lineup for pool, im gonna go with;

Reina
    Arbeloa--Carra--Skrtel--Dossena
    Masch--Alonso
    -Kuyt
    Keane
    Riera
    Torres

with maybe Aurelio instead of Dossena and Agger instead of Carra (with carra at RB)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭WalkOn

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Reina
    Masch--Alonso
    -Kuyt
    Keane
    Riera
    Torres

with maybe Aurelio instead of Dossena and Agger instead of Carra (with carra at RB)

Sounds about right I think that RB may play Babel and put A-L-B-E-R-T on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

That is sick.

**** sake des quote your poster in the OP to stop further confusion :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Does it count if its gary neville though?

No.

I'd wish Glen Crowe was given a permanent restraining order to keep him from scoring against Rovers* but not want him injured.

*Probably still wouldn't stop him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

What you lads reckon, will Berbatov start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't see why not... I'd say Ferguson is dying to see him out there. He may not be 100% match fit, but he's not carrying any injuries that I know of.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, cos I'm dying to see him play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Smegball wrote: »
    What you lads reckon, will Berbatov start?

I think he will start on the bench. think he is away with Bulgaria so won't had too many training sessions with the lads if any before Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this trend over the past seasons? Players who rarely score for Man U always seem to have their day in the sunshine against Liverpool. Add Forlan to the list too.:pac:

As I was saying in another thread - I really do hope that Fletcher isn't fit..

• Advertisement

kida wrote: »

I don't think he will have a choice. As much as I wouldn't be surprised to see some logic defying line up, I reckon he will go for the strongest possible lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

As I was saying in another thread - I really do hope that Fletcher isn't fit..

*LZ's Novelty odds for who's going to be the player to have his day in the sunshine against Liverpool- LZ is not affiliated with any bookmaker*:pac:

Fletcher 3/1
    Carrick 3/1
    Ferdinand 4/1
    Evra 5/1
    Brown 7/1
    Vidic 9/1
    Neville 16/1 *
    Evans 20/1

*I will be blubbering if this happens. I can see Vidic as good value.:pac:

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Reina
    Masch--Alonso
    -Kuyt
    Keane
    Riera
    Torres

Any of the above will do :)

It is situations like this where I am glad that we signed Keane. He will provide sufficient cover for Gerard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It is situations like this where I am glad that we signed Keane. He will provide sufficient cover for Gerard.

In theory. He hasnt scored yet though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

liverpool to win 1-0. Keane 90th minute. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Looks like both teams got a bit lucky with suspensions. Mascherano and Tevez are both suspended for Argentina and returned early. They would've been playing thursday, surely would've missed saturday.

Think I'm going to make a United defender my FF captain :D

Mite stick on a crafty bet for Fletcher to score winner :p

Gerrard > Keane ;)

Anderson > Gerrard ;)

Smegball wrote: »
    Anderson > Gerrard ;)

HAHA Yeah right mate, although he did play fantastic the last day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

This really is a huge game for Liverpool's season, and for Rafa's tenure. A win would do great things for the spirit in the camp and hopefully set down a marker for the rest of the season.

There are doubts over both Torres and Gerrard, and they'll obviously be huge losses. In Robbie Keane, we have a player who can cover either position, but it would be ideal to have both fully fit.

I agree with a previous poster that said we may see Carra at right-back. Rafa was inclined to play him there during crunch games last year, and as Arbeloa has been away with the Spain squad, I'd just about give Carra the edge.

I would not be at all surprised to see Rafa start Riera. He's not afraid to give players baptisms of fire on their debut (Arbeloa vs. Barca), and he may look to exploit Man Utd's weaker right-side.

My fantasy rafa:

Reina
    Carra-Skrtl-Agger-Aurelio
    ----Macherano-Alonso
    ----Kuyt-Keane-Reira
    Torres

Something of a 4-4-2/4-2-3-1 with Kuyt and Riera drifting wide and Keane pushing up. If Gerrard is fit, I expect him to slot in for Alonso. Possibly Babel in for Riera too. It's Rafa, who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

United to win, Berbatov to score, at least one sending off. Hopefully it'll be a cracking game to really kick off the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This will be one truly sh1t game.

United to win one nil. Score early and just kill the game.

For entertainment in this fixture for once, maybe they can both play fast flowing football and it'll be 4-3 or something. Seriously doubt it'll happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm not entirely sure whether Berbatov is likely to start. Depends on how Fergie sees him.

As always, away at Anfield, Fergie will try to out negative football Rafa. In the past, he's done very well at it. Most of our victories have been 1-0 in tight tight games where we didn't give Liverpool many chances and took our one chance. Personally though, if Gerrard and Torres are out, United should have in reality no trouble at the back if they play well.

Big game for Liverpool imo, way bigger than for United. If they win they jump 3 points ahead of United, maintain their lead over Arsenal, with Chelsea to play United the following week. If they can win, there's a good chance they could be top after 5 games, which would be a great achievement which can be pushed on from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

PHB wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure whether Berbatov is likely to start. Depends on how Fergie sees him.

As always, away at Anfield, Fergie will try to out negative football Rafa. In the past, he's done very well at it. Most of our victories have been 1-0 in tight tight games where we didn't give Liverpool many chances and took our one chance. Personally though, if Gerrard and Torres are out, United should have in reality no trouble at the back if they play well.

Big game for Liverpool imo, way bigger than for United. If they win they jump 3 points ahead of United, maintain their lead over Arsenal, with Chelsea to play United the following week. If they can win, there's a good chance they could be top after 5 games, which would be a great achievement which can be pushed on from.
    LOL though the grammar is not quite correct. Maybe you should have hyphenated the three words. Anyway, United to win comfortably IMO esp if Gerrard and Torres are both out.

I'm pretty sure Fergie will start with all three strikers and hope for some of that immediate telepathic gelling, not unlikely giving the 3 players' extraordinary talents and football brains. Like others I anticipate a 4-2-3-1 with no wingers just attcking fullbacks supported by Tevez/Rooney/Anderson. I think Fletcher will be rewarded for recent form with a place in midfield with Scholes:

VDS
    Brown--Ferdinand--Vidic--Evra
    ----Fletcher----Scholes
    --Tevez--Rooney--Anderson--
    Smokatov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

niallk wrote: »
    LOL though the grammar is not quite correct. Maybe you should have hyphenated the three words. Anyway, United to win comfortably IMO esp if Gerrard and Torres are both out.

I'm pretty sure Fergie will start with all three strikers and hope for some of that immediate telepathic gelling, not unlikely giving the 3 players' extraordinary talents and football brains. Like others I anticipate a 4-2-3-1 with no wingers just attcking fullbacks supported by Tevez/Rooney/Anderson. I think Fletcher will be rewarded for recent form with a place in midfield with Scholes:

VDS
    ----Fletcher----Scholes
    Smokatov

That's an interesting team. Personally, I'd rather have Anderson partner Scholes in midfield. He's more tough-tackling, and willing to get involved in the nitty gritty of a game than Fletcher. Then stick Nani/Park (are either of them available?) supporting Berbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Is Carrick out as well?

niallk wrote: »

VDS
    ----Fletcher----Scholes
    Smokatov

IIRC, the last time United played such an attacking team was during the Munich memorial when AF got carried away and seemed to want to beat City 20 nil. Didn't work out too well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

IIRC, the last time United played such an attacking team was during the Munich memorial when AF got carried away and seemed to want to beat City 20 nil. Didn't work out too well..
    They played this formation two weeks ago against Portsmouth actually with Rooney on top, Fletcher further up and John O'Shea as a holding Mid with Scholes. I think it worked pretty well as Tevez was very effective at supporting the full backs in attack as did Fletcher. It's not as attacking a formation as it may appear as Anderson would be tracking back as would Tevez to a certain degree.

Against Portsmouth (especially in the first half) there was great fluidity with the front four interchanging. I think this formation with Berba spearheading it would be effective and great to watch. My mouth is watering at the prospect and I think there's a very good chance this could be the future with Ronaldo taking Anderson's place in the front 4.

• Advertisement

Pellegrino wary of Tevez threat

Liverpool's first-team coach Mauricio Pellegrino believes countryman Carlos Tevez will be Manchester United's danger man in Saturday's clash.

Pellegrino reckons the Argentinian forward will be a more prominent figure in the absence of Cristiano Ronaldo.

He told Liverpool's official website: "Cristiano is an important player but it won't make a massive difference to them because they have a lot of good players.

"Carlos is a good player. He is very strong and a fighter. He fights until the end of every game.

"The key in these games is to score goals and play better than them! I think we are ready to do a strong job against them, and we are ready to beat them. I have a lot of confidence in the players."

Good ol' Pellegrino, short and to the point!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Liverpool to win 1-0. This game will be the usual rubbish. Biggest game in club football? Yeah right. I cant honestly remember one good or even average game between these two the last few years.The standard is always low and the big name players always go missing. Im actually hoping gerrard doesnt make the starting eleven for this one as he always goes missing for this fixture anyways.

According to a rag that shall remain nameless, Ferguson has taken an indirect dig at Liverpool and Robbie Keane.

When asked if any pre-season transfers impressed him, Fergie said: “The big surprise was Liverpool paying £20million for Keane.”

Not surprised that Ferguson is trying to get inside Keane's head, considering how he showed Man U the damage he could do in the FA Cup last season. C'mon Robbie, show Fergie what you're made of on Saturday!

*note I did not buy this rag, got it online from papertalk on Teamtalk.*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    According to a rag that shall remain nameless, Ferguson has taken an indirect dig at Liverpool and Robbie Keane.

When asked if any pre-season transfers impressed him, Fergie said: “The big surprise was Liverpool paying £20million for Keane.”

Not surprised that Ferguson is trying to get inside Keane's head, considering how he showed Man U the damage he could do in the FA Cup last season. C'mon Robbie, show Fergie what you're made of on Saturday!

*note I did not buy this rag, got it online from papertalk on Teamtalk.*

could you explain your comment regarding the FA Cup? I'm lost on that one.

Tauren wrote: »
    could you explain your comment regarding the FA Cup? I'm lost on that one.

I thought he played well against Man U last season in the FA Cup even though Spurs lost 3-1.

Oh right - fair enough. Forgot we had even played spurs in the FA Cup.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    Oh right - fair enough. Forgot we had even played spurs in the FA Cup.

I don't think Spurs fans can forget it, Dawson at his most calamitous.:pac:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fa_cup/7197729.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Keane for £20m is a hell of a lot better value than Berbatov for £30.75m!

Mr Alan wrote: »

Utter Rubbish! (:D)

I disagree - both are way over priced, but i would still say Berbatov is worth more than Keane, he is a better player. I know which one i'd prefer playing for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Do you think Robbie Keane will outscore Berbatov this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think he'll be pretty close...as he has been for the last 3 years. there is no way there is 10m between the two of em, a couple of million MAYBE, but if you had of given me the choice of Keane (at 20m) or Berba(at 31m) at the start of the summer, i know which i would have chosen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement